RopeTek Helmet Intercom System

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Today was the first day running the helmet intercom system from RopeTek. Paul custom installs high end Sena intercom units into Kask Super Plasma arborist helmets. This is a full turnkey conversion. The speakers are built into quality, low profile 3m muffs and the boom mike is built into the helmet. In all but the noisiest environments, we found so far that you can run with mike tucked up in the brow of the helmet suspension (3rd picture) and not have conversation suffer.

The noise cancellation is awesome. You can definitely tell that a log chipper or a chainsaw is running, but you can hear them talking over it easily. We were all amazed that one guy could be chipping and talking to someone else running a saw 100 yards away, like they were next to them in a quiet environment.

After about 10 minutes I already took it for granted. I listened to 3 albums today, and told a about 500 jokes, all while working. I asked for some tools too, without yelling. Its gonna be hard to put these down!

2013-10-26

2013-10-26

2013-10-26

Time will tell regarding durability and battery life, but they lasted all day today and seem well built. The box includes chargers, audio cords, extra wiring, and speaker/microphone hardware.

Bonner for best results position the mike as close as possible to your mouth and obviously make sure it is oriented correctly so the noise cancelation doesnt cancel out your voice;)

Those headcomm sets are great but I don't want to add any more weight to my neck.

That was one of my biggest concerns before purchasing, and it is a non issue.

Nick, it helps to run the wires from the speakers straight up into the helmet so there is as little wire exposed as possible. Also, make sure you use a strong adhesive for the speakers and mic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The speakers are hidden in the muffs, I dont know about the adhesive there? I have the mic held up with a zip tie and two tiny holes in the helmet.

Paul, you are right, having the mic close to your face gets the best results. I was just saying that we were surprised that it still worked with the mic tucked way up in the brow of the helmet.

Al, I can try and find the weight of the Sena usits, but its really inconsequential compared to the helmet itself (Kasks are a heavier helmet already).

Mine are slated for delivery on Wednesday. I'm gonna have to sign for them, so I might stay home with D Thursday, to be sure to have them for Friday.

SO Excited.

An AT and now this, you are styling!

"F" YA!

I coulda been run over today. The coms would have prevented it. Other hiccups today, as well, that led to more work to get the same job done.

We had a three man, day and half job, which we started today. Buncha small removals, 40' and under mostly, thinning the planting beds that have become overgrown. AT rocked it today. The guys are convinced. I prefaced the use of it with the AT is bombproof, might bend, but not likely to break, and that if they can move it, its not overloaded.

We don't talk on ours a lot. Strictly work communication for the most part. The odd bit of goofing but I don't want it to be a distraction. We don't stream any music or anything like that. I don't take phone calls while working.

We leave it on for the whole period of say pulling a tree or spar to its lay. Just so there's instantaneous communication if needed. I love it for that. For pulling its the ultimate IMO. The cutter and puller in sync and up to speed on the scenario.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean goofing around is one thing, but yesterday Duane was climbing and I was raking a different part of the property, meanwhile we were chatting about his kids and my wife, etc...

Its nice to be able to shut it off, but its also nice not to have to work alone.

It's the climbing part while carrying on an active conversation about your kids that I see as a potential dangerous distraction. Raking while chatting, not so much.

Just my take on how we're using ours.

Back