What oil and mixture are you using and why?

Ha a couple years ago when it was cold enough to freeze the ballz off a brass monkey and Louisiana was toasty I told Butch we'll get even come summer .Bull chit it got as hot here as it was there .

Asked the guys at the saw shop and they said they run 40:1 in everything.
Can't believe I never thought of asking all these years.
So I threw 2 gallons of gas in with a 2.5 gallon mix oil today - high test no ethanol, I'll see how it goes.
What ratio do you mix Mastermind?

We had 43 below last Saturday. I tried to start my 850 for the heck of it and the rope would not rewind.

When we visit family in New Zealand i just tell them it goes from forty below Celsius to forty above Celsius. No pesky conversion to do.

Asked the guys at the saw shop and they said they run 40:1 in everything.
Can't believe I never thought of asking all these years.
So I threw 2 gallons of gas in with a 2.5 gallon mix oil today - high test no ethanol, I'll see how it goes.
What ratio do you mix Mastermind?

I mix @ 32:1

On the AV gas. It will run fine.......but it won't make quite the power. It burns too slow.

What was said about the heavy molecules........spot on.

Thanks for posting the mix chart Randy. I printed it off! The first batch of gas i mixed for my Polaris Colt 250 was mixed with an old glass Lord Calvert bottle. It was the only container i could find and sure looked like a gallon. It looked like i was on fire the whole time!

Aviation gas might be the ticket if you had the compression ratio at about 14 to 1 but very few people do on a work saw .If they did it really wouldn't be a work saw in the true sense of the word .

Gas like Cam II and some of that other rocket fuel produced by Sun oil might be okay for a hot rod but I doubt it makes much diff on a chainsaw .

Av-gas isn't that much higher in octane than what premium gas is, if you are comparing pump gas RON rating to aviation fuel MON rating. It seems that what is used in AV-gas to give the higher octane, is the highly toxic ingredient, Tetraethyl lead, once an ingredient in auto gas as well, until it was considered important to mostly eliminate it many years ago. I wouldn't care to advise anyone not to use Av-gas if they are sold on the good effects that they find in their saws or other gear and accept the hazards, but toxicology studies of what TEL and other by products produced when burning it in engines inform, don't paint a very comfortable picture of the effects that can result when getting it into the system of a variety of living organisms. They don't test it on humans, but the history of lead poisoning is a long and ugly one. Quoting from an article on lead poisoning, it says that there is no amount of lead that is considered too small to cause harm.

You know now I wonder .My dad had a mouth full of silver fillings before he got the China clippers .He also used to bite down on split shot fishing sinkers .He died of the effects of dementia .I don't imagine lead did him any good .

Most of the older members probably sucked a lot of lead. Remember how bad fumes used to be in city traffic stopped at a light? I used to run a gas tractor in close quarters. It would leave a metallic taste. MMMMM, lead.

Guys that used to work in lead mines had a variety of undesirable mental effects. Just what you want to have happening, hallucinations down in a mine, one of the results. One theory is that the fall of Rome was due to lead poisoning causing mental deficiencies in the emperors. Lots of lead in the food and drink of the aristocracy there at the time. Lead through the ages is a pretty interesting subject. Good that they became wise to the bad stuff that it is.

It does make you wonder .My ex wife RIP had a mouth full of silver too and she was later diagnosed with being bipolar .

The stuff a lot of us old coots were exposed to it's a wonder we lived past 50 .I'm telling you a lot of people I went to school with look their age of 65 .I'm one of the lucky few I guess .Still spry as a cat,older type Tom though .Fact I'm the oldest certified free climber at the place I work at .They haven't clipped my wings yet .;)

At least with cars, the catalytic converters when working right, helped to keep the unburnt lead from coming directly out the pipe, though very late in the game pertaining to lead in gas. With two cycles if you are using the lead content, you are getting a cocktail of TEL in with the hydrocarbons, shaken not stirred.

Gads! I never thought of it that much, but it makes sense. Yeah, the Romans used to sweeten wine with "Sugar of Lead". I have no idea the compression ratio of my 850, but it might not be worth it, I must breathe in a bunch of exhaust when I run it. 100 LL has less lead in it than the old leaded car gas, but still enough that we always have to scrape lead off the spark plugs when we annual the Dad's plane.
The previous maintenance officer at the fire dept. liked to use avgas in the rescue saws and regular saws because we use them so infrequently and avgas takes a looooooooong time to go stale. We breathe enough horrible stuff fighting fire maybe we should not be breathing lead as well. Good points guys.

There is a push to get lead out of av gas if anyone is interested. If you take the lead out of 100 LL you get 94 UL. Another aircraft engine company is working on 100 UL by blending various products from a refinery they are working with.

Clipped from "Two Stroke Heads"

We asked Sunoco's Wurth about using aviation fuel in an automobile engine. He was emphatic when he said, "Don't do it. Even though Sunoco is a major producer of aviation fuel, this fuel is specifically blended for aircraft engines. Aircraft operate under very different conditions than automobiles, and the fuel requirements are quite different as well. Aircraft engines generally.... run within a very narrow rpm range. There's no need for transient throttle response in an airplane because after the pilot does the initial engine run-up, the throttle is set in one position and the rpm doesn't normally change until landing. Also, airplanes fly where the air is cold and thin, and the atmospheric pressure is low. These are not even close to the conditions your street machine will see on the ground. Also, since most piston-driven aircraft cruise at 3,000 rpm or so, the burn rate of aviation gas is much too slow for any high performance automotive applications."

You can discuss it ,cuss it or whatever about ethanol in the gas but we're stuck with it like it or not .In a way it's a pain in the azz in other ways it's a blessing in disguise .

Living in a colder winter climate before ethanol you about needed to add additives like "dry gas " in the tank of the car else you would get fuel line freeze up due to the fact condensed water vapors and pure gasoline don't mix .Since ethanol I have'nt had one hint of a frozen fuel line .

The stuff is a little rough on aluminum and Buna-n compound though .Chainsaws and the like you just get real good at rebuilding carbs .

Interesting info. Thanks all.

Randy I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or question your expertise. I appreciate reading your thoughts on this. I'm gonna try out a richer mix I think. It'll be Stihl mix. What's the best Stihl mix in your opinion without breaking the bank. We go through a lot of saw gas it seems.

I've never used any of the Stihl mixes, except the old standard, orange bottle dino oil.

I don't know much about different oils, and am no expert on anything.

I have done quite a lot of studying.......but even then a guy has to wonder if what he is reading is skewed in some way by a special interest....

IMO orange bottle stihl dino suks. Use the silver bottle ultra if your going to use stihl oil.

You can discuss it ,cuss it or whatever about ethanol in the gas but we're stuck with it like it or not .In a way it's a pain in the azz in other ways it's a blessing in disguise .

Al. I bet if enough people started asking for it, you'd be able to eventually get alkylate fuel, like we do over here.
That stuff is simply the cat's ass for chainsaws.

Must be bottled different up here. I run the Stihl Dino but its in a white bottle with a orange lid. Im stuck on Stihl as that's all I've really noticed at the saw shop. I'll ask them about others they might carry but convenience and supporting my local shop so they survive are important to me.

Back