How Long to Splice

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
How long does it take you splicers to do a given splice?

I have Class 1 Double Braid down to about ~20 minutes per. Any faster than that and I feel like I would be RUSHING.

The hollow braid stuff is really quick, a couple of minutes per, unless I am overlapping tails or have to measure something special.

Class 2 Double Braid is like 45 minutes because I havent done too many of those.

I have not tried a 16 strand.

All those estimates are assuming I dont have any 'issues' or have to repeat anything. There have been quite a few that took me a lot longer.

16 strand and C1DB around a half hour. Sometimes longer if I'm watching TV while I'm doing it or my son is asking me every minute what I'm doing.

Tachyon and used rope usually head closer to 45-60 min. Do not like.

When I'm in the zone I can crank out a double braid in under 5 minutes :)

That's production style, 3/8" sta-set with all my tools set out in just the right spot and the measurements pre-marked on the bench so I just have to hold the rope up and quickly mark it. And it's me pretending I'm on a pit crew and every second counts.

If I'm just doing 1, yeah- it's about 20 minutes assuming no Facebook breaks!

If it's blaze, tachyon, or velocity 30 minutes-45 depending on how hard the final bury is. I've done some that took 45 minutes just on the final run home.

Beeline eye-eye is about 45 minutes but I'm very meticulous about how those are measured

3 strand is usually a 20 minute splice unless it's a hard-lay rope. Then it could be double.

16 strand 30-45 depending on how tight it is.

Single line is a 5 minutes splice including stitching.

love
nick

Probably 2 hours for a Class 1 Double Braid splice. However, figuring how long it takes to make an eye splice is kind of asking how many licks it takes to finish a tootsie roll pop. The phone rings, an email comes in, my wife needs something, etc...

What is it about finishing a splice that feels so gratifying when it comes out really good ???

About 20-45 minutes on a double braid splice, depending on the rope and how hard the final bury is too run home. 20-30 on 16 strand, depending on the rope. 30 minutes for an eye 2 eye, 5-10 for most hollowbraids. Longest I've ever taken to do a splice was 3 hours splicing a Marlow 16 strand rope, one Luke actually sent me as a demo with the challenge "splice the other end of this line". Stubborn as I am, took me 3 freaking hours and a broken wire fid later and I wasn't quite happy with it, but it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does it take you splicers to do a given splice?

I have Class 1 Double Braid down to about ~20 minutes per. Any faster than that and I feel like I would be RUSHING.

The hollow braid stuff is really quick, a couple of minutes per, unless I am overlapping tails or have to measure something special.

Class 2 Double Braid is like 45 minutes because I havent done too many of those.

I have not tried a 16 strand.

All those estimates are assuming I dont have any 'issues' or have to repeat anything. There have been quite a few that took me a lot longer.

Great thread you started here, Nick! The fact that it sits here for posterity, waiting to be read by the next guy thinking of dipping his toe in the water, is just amazing.

So thanks again to Butch for hosting the forum.

The fact that Nick's competitive and scientific nature has caused some of the best splicers to quantify their results is very helpful. I had no idea it was possible to do any kind of splice in less than five minutes. Knowing that definitely helps as motivation, since simple slings might be one of the most common and useful purposes I'd have in mind for what I want to do at the start.

So, thanks for starting a great, older thread, Nick!

Thanks also to the other "Love, Nick" for his expert commentary.

Since it's been about four years since this thread was started, it would be interesting to know whether or not your numbers have changed much with practice, or if things were already close to as good as they get, when you first posted this.

Tim

Except I thought I read somewhere that TreeStuff no longer has any splicing going on. That it all gets shipped off to SherrillTree, & that those extra steps are the cause of miscommunication & mistakes in the end results. I guess Sherrill is working to correct the problems, though.

Apologies if anyone takes offense.

Tim

That is correct. All tree stuff splicing is done in NC now

Any idea what happened with what I assume was a team of rope splicers in Indianapolis? I forget how I found this out, and I don't remember the forum member who revealed it ever saying how it was that he found out about it. Perhaps it was you?

At any rate, I find it a bit misleading to the customer to allow the customer to believe that your company is doing a certain piece of work, and to then ship it off to another company for completion, possibly without ever letting the customer know that this is going on. Taken to its logical extreme, they could shut the Indianapolis location down entirely, lay off all of the staff, fulfill all of the orders through SherrillTree, and just keep the TreeStuff internet website up and running to take orders.

Sherrill should leave TreeStuff completely alone, with the exception of the necessary book keeping. IMHO

Tim

I don't think so, Butch. At some point Sherrill must have decided it was cheaper to go with their splicing crew, who are from the Czech Republic, if I'm remembering right. From the rock climbing forums it seems like a lot of the rope manufacturers are having their rope produced in the Czech Republic now. One of the first rope makers, Mammut, who used to make their rope in Switzerland, have theirs made there now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted to clear some things up about what happened with the splicing team in Indianapolis.

We consolidated the splicing process between the Indianapolis and Greensboro teams. When we moved the splicing out of Indy, we offered to pay for the majority of that team to move to Greensboro, and two of our splicers moved with their families to Greensboro. Now all Rope Logic products are all made to the same high standards and subjected to the same level of quality control which Erik oversees.

Not that where people are from should matter as we consider their right to work or ability to competently complete that work, but none of our staff is Czech. We have Nepalese, Mexican, Indiana and North Carolina natives working on our splicing team. They're all highly trained, hard working, tax paying people who make great spliced products and have just as much a right to earn a living as anyone else.

I was there as we built the Indy splicing op and I was there when we closed it. I'm proud of what we accomplished and the people we trained and developed along the way. Erik and Susie are some of the best splicers and people I've ever met and they've built careers with us with ZERO prior splicing knowledge.

Beware #fakenews

Thanks for the clarification, Nick. Wasn't misaligning anyone just showing what I thought was a connection between the splicers and the country where ropes are being manufactured. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Back