Messed up bearings on chipper: VIDEO

Hey Nick - totally impressed that some of your peers have really gone to bat for you putting pressure on Morbark.
I'm feeling hopeful you will get your chipper properly fixed or replaced.
About 10 years ago my folks bought a Craftsman riding mower which was a POS....my late mom eventually went thermonuclear on them, and Sears ended up giving them a complete refund and taking the used mower back about a year after purchase. You didn't mess with my mom!

Not the dealers problem to come and pick up the machine, nor to give you a loaner. All machines have problems, new or used, you just have to bite the bullet when it happens and get it fixed. Yes, it was shitty work on the dealers part and this issue wasn't handled in the best of ways by either the dealer or Morbark. Would a good dealer come get it and drop a loaner off? Yes, because its the good thing to do, and makes for a good customer rep. But the dealer is by no means required too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl you made a lot of good points. Some I agree with. Some I don't. I'm gonna try to hit them all.

Greasing bearings is a subjective thing....

Greasing being subjective: this part annoys me. I know things are subjective. Even with a car it's subjective- but you can talk to a few mechanics and eventually you'll realize- if you're scared just doit. Every 3,000 miles and your bases would be covered. With this chipper, trying to figure it how often and with what to grease it was trying to learn a secret Illuminati hand shake. The dealer, service guy, factory, and other dealers all gave different info varying from, grease it one pump daily, grease it every ten hours until it squirts out, or grease it only what the book says. Every 40 hrs. Then I kept getting different answers on what grease to use. The info I'm going with is a follows.

According to the service manager at Morbark HQ in a conversation months ago, the bearing has like a bleeder valve built in. You CANT over grease it. He gave me a list of a bunch of good greases to use. None of them are available online or at local stores. So I used whatever the dude at AutoZone recommended. We are greasing every 20 hrs now.

, with Gehl/Mustang, warranty will pay for ground shipping ...$53 is a premium for shipping and handling on that part, as is the $417 price tag. ...Buying the bearing from an outside vendor would likely have cost around half what the dealer charged you (speculation).

When I originally talked to the dealer about he messed up bearing, I expressed concern about not taking the chipper off the job site for too long. You might remember I asked if we could do the repair, the dealer said it was straight forward, and so arrangements were made for us to get it. There's a chance that I asked for the piece to be express mailed. So I'm not gonna sweat the $53 and I'm not going to go digging through notes or invoices to find out about $53. I'm more bummed about being told this was a straight forward repair when it wasn't.

Regarding the $417 for the bearing. It does seem high- but I looked at the part numbers on the bearing and googled the manufacturer (which isn't morbark) and I couldn't find anyone selling that part AT ALL. So I went with what morbark sent. The price was refunded- so I'm not concerned about the cost any more. I am concerned that it doesn't seem like the same part and what this might mean down the line.

Loaner machines aren't required.

Agreed. A lot of the guys here are most frustrated by this point. What I now know is that though this is standard in many dealerships nationwide, and even locally at other dealerships, it was never part of the original deal I made when I bought the chipper. S I do NOT fault Direct Edge for not transporting the chipper or providing a loaner when the bearing went out. But when I brought up the new probs caused after the repair work, it's another story. That didn't "just happen." This was the fault of Direct Edge and at that point I hoped they would step up and make the repair smooth and pain free. They didn't. I gave up dealing with them.

The work done on the machine is an abomination... The chute should be able to be straightened up, if not, it should be replaced at no cost including the custom paint.

I agree. To me it doesn't seem like a major task, but I'm not paying my guys to f around with that when they should be out pruning trees.

The exposed shaft means either the dimensions on that bearing are different, or the disc has been moved forward by that amount.

Exactly. It sorta looks to me that they had to jimmy rig it to make it work. If it's not a prob, then I'm cool with it.

I don't know why it's acceptable to have leaking fuel tanks on a chipper.

I don't get it. This isn't a dealership issue sortof. I sent him a pic, he had a new cap sent out, new cap didn't help, I mentioned it, and he offered the "don't fill it all the way" solution. That's ridiculous.

It's hard to bitch about the paint being damaged where the chute doesn't line up when the machine looks rough. ...I don't like partially filling tanks to keep them from leaking for obvious reasons.

I'm not super concerned about the paint. I don't mind that the bearing is a slight diff color. I think that's just the color it was off the shelf. I doubt they painted it for me- though they may have. I understand that this is a work machine and not a BMW. That's why I gave up dealing with the fuel cap. If morbark wants leaky machines driving all over the country, then that's just the way it is.

You, Nick, are super awesome and I admire you.

Aw, Carl. That was super nice of you to say. You're the man!

love
nick

...Would a good dealer come get it and drop a loaner off? Yes, because its the good thing to do, and makes for a good customer rep. But the dealer is by no means required too.

I agree. But how about on the dealer-caused damage. Even though it's not part of the original deal, I think they SHOULD be expected to do it for probs they caused.

Fwiw woodsman came and picked up my machine, fixed it, and brought it back the next day. Ive also been sent small parts in the mail without any question from the engine manufacturer, and the dealer.

I think most dealers will avoid you after they have the check. I tried getting questions answered on my new ford after i got it. Weeks would go by before i got a response. Not that way before i paid them! :lol:

Let's say you guys called your local dealer or went in and told them you were ready to pull the trigger on a machine that they didn't have in stock. How long would it be before you had the machine hooked up to the back of your truck?

All depends, no definite answer for that, it's totally up to the manufacturer at that point in regards to timeline. Shipping, build time, wait time, all those and more are taken into effect. Generally anywhere from 4-10 weeks.

I agree. But how about on the dealer-caused damage. Even though it's not part of the original deal, I think they SHOULD be expected to do it for probs they caused.

Again, should they? Yes. Required too? No. If the dealer isn't interested in keeping you as a customer(which is what it sounds like) then they will do as little as possible to help you out. Don't expect anything more than what is required of them.

Let's say you guys called your local dealer or went in and told them you were ready to pull the trigger on a machine that they didn't have in stock. How long would it be before you had the machine hooked up to the back of your truck?

It took my dealer 4 weeks from when we ordered our bandit until it was delivered.

I just looked through my emails and it looks like it was actually pretty quick from when we gave the thumbs-up on the purchase until we had the machine. In my mind it took FOREVER but it was because it got extended a few days in transit (no biggy) and I was anxious to get it so it SEEMED like it took forever- but it didn't.

Wow, The Tree House and it’s people rock. We aren’t all good at everything but, between all of us I’m sure we have the bases well covered. Personally I think it would be easier for some here to make a call demanding fair treatment for Nick than it would be for Nick to learn to be demanding of his rights (or even see them as rights) today. And so it is great to see that very thing happen.

Sounds to me like it is within grasp of being appropriately handled by Morbark as Nick follows through with this. My personality might be closer to Nicks than sawinredneck, PCTREE, and others on being demanding for my own rights. So unless you say more calls are needed now I’ll wait till Morbark does the right thing by you Nick and then I will call (and post) that they stood by their product and customer as a company (overall.)

For years I had wanted to send out Thank You notes to customers after a job, and past customers who referred me to someone, also wanted my books done all neat and tidy ahead of tax day. Never actually happened until my wife took both those over. I think it would be great to have a TH thread going, “I Would Like A Hand With...”

Separately, Bandit built with options I want - 3 months plus or minus.

From Vermeer: Stumpgrinder took 24hrs, Mini took 2 days. Both were trucked in from out of State. Bought a few years apart form each other.

We have a local Vermeer dealer that is awesome. When we had problems with our chipper they not only came and picked it up and dropped it off but they also gave us another chipper to use in the meantime. They are great to deal with so they will continue to get my business.

To say that they don't provide a loaner or that it's not required is idiotic. You do what you can to do right by your customers. That's what is REQUIRED to stay in business. Any manufacturer or dealer that does business like this should be ashamed. Now let's see what Morbark Mfg does about it. My guess is that they will make it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I know you are not overly concerned about the loaner thing Nick, but that's how they make it right without you not having a chipper for a week. It's completely related imo.

I know you are not overly concerned about the loaner thing Nick, but that's how they make it right without you not having a chipper for a week. It's completely related imo.

I agree. It would be different if the dealer was five mins. away. Now they know that you will have to take it out of service along with your employees to take it to them, at the cost of lost production, not to mention YOU will have to spend money in wages and fuel to get it to them. I honestly believe that they hope you will just forget about it so they dont have to spend any money fixing their mistakes.

I agree. It would be different if the dealer was five mins. away. Now they know that you will have to take it out of service along with your employees to take it to them, at the cost of lost production, not to mention YOU will have to spend money in wages and fuel to get it to them. I honestly believe that they hope you will just forget about it so they dont have to spend any money fixing their mistakes.

Somehow, I have the feeling Nick will get whatever he wants next time he talks to this dealer!

Nick, after reading several years worth of posts by you, to you, and about you, I've come to know you through the net as a very good, qualified, honest, and honorable business owner and person in general.

I'd like to suggest that maybe you look at this from another point of view. In essence; "what would Nick do?". If you were on the 'seller' side of this whole deal what would you expect to do for your customer? You have the right to expect the same from them.

I really hope they make this up to you somehow.

On the bright side it is great that your as busy as you are. :)

Like sugar in his fuel tank? :D

No, I would think this dealer is going to do everything in his power to NOT have Nick have any more problems with this machine!
When I called, Suzanne was pretty peeved already, I was polite, but didn't have all of Nick's info and I directed her to this site and this thread, telling her their name wasn't looking very good on the internet. She agreed that wasn't the kind of publicity that they wanted or needed and would be more than happy to speak with Nick personally to find a resolve to this!

Wow just read this thread! Agree that they need to fix the damage they caused. It's brand new and if u decided to sell or trade u now lost considerable value with the existing condition it's in. I think I get the gas cap thing, they did replace it and a part is what it is and I think that's on morbark. And great support on here from everyone! I haven't been here that long but that's real great to see how everyone has your back in this!!!

(Don't read this Nick)

The problem with Nick is he's too much like I was a few years ago, he's passive aggressive and hopes the people he's dealing with will pick up on the innuendo he's putting out. He want's to be "nice" to everyone and not upset the apple cart, so he makes hints and subtleties in hopes he wont have to be nasty.
He's learning, much like I had to, it doesn't work. Sometimes you aren't going to make everyone happy, but you have to make you happy at the end of the day! I also learned that I didn't make enemies as much as I thought I would, but certainly garnered the respect I should have had to start with! It sucks you have to deal with people this way to get the service you SHOULD have gotten from the start. But everybody is out to take advantage of everyone then can right now, and they damn sure try it every chance they get!

(OK, on with the thread, you can read the rest now Nick)

Back