SRT TIP cinch with hardware

I pretty much always use a cinching TIP, usually with the "bunny ears" knot and a carabiner. For some reason, I really don't like base ties, unless it's a super messy tree and isolating a limb is impractical. Even then I'll switch back over to a cinching TIP once I get up in the tree.

If you're doing a cinching TIP then some kind of hardware connecting the cinch is essential if you want to easily change your TIP, in my opinion.

Back in Hong Kong, and back on the internet Butch. Good to be back at the TreeHouse again. :)

Wonder what people are using now? My go to method is an alpine with a link of some sort, always want to use a pinto pulley but never got around to it.

Here you go!

roundtuit.jpg

I tend to base anchor to get up there and then get the groundy to untie and then i tie and alpine butterfly and cinch the working side with a Pinto top tie. Most climbs I tend to move the anchor about from the initial setting (depending on task obviously) Sometime there is a better choice once you are up there..

If a guy learns to tie an alpine around the standing end of the line you can get rid of the pinto and carabiner.

Both true points. If you loosen the choke, not cinching as much as possible, before descending, it helps.

Descend a bit of a distance, and test-pull at an approximately matching angle to that angle which you will pull from when on the ground. Usually, backing up will help the pull from the ground, resulting in a more horizontal angle.

I tend to retrieve with the tail of my line. I tie to the hanging leg of the alpine resulting in a closed loop that "follows" you through redirects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since I started this thread I guess I should update where I'm at.....
I not cinch almost 100% of the time with a delta. I have come to be very wary of a base tie for a number of reasons. I don't like the increased force put on the TIP when base anchoring. I also hate the fact that there is a second leg of my climbing line that is exposed to a dropped pole saw, errant hand saw cut, inattentive ground guy, or whatever. I usually tie a butterfly, put a delta in there and pull it up. It's not perfect but it's simple, cheap, and strong.

Same here
I been wanting to get another pinto pully and try that
Should be the boom with alot of redirects??

Back