Mandatory Chainsaw License

Mandatory Training Required To Purchase A Chainsaw

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
From watching this thread, I've come to the conclusion that some sort of license proving that you attended a training class covering chainsaw operation and safety should be required. Hell, it could be something as simple as a DVD provided with the saw or a thorough manual, at the least.

I know people can easily circumvent this, but at least some people will be educated. Don't they do something like this in the U.K.?

You have to have a license to operate a motor vehicle. I don't really see much of a difference. Doing/Operating anything that could kill you should require some type of training, IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to get a hunting license, a license to sell alcohol or bartend, and more things that I can't think of at the moment. I don't see the big deal.

If that dude had a license he would still be a moron. I say no to more regulation, just a way to generate more money IMO

We have it here, but only for professional users.
But then we are a bunch of over regulated commies:lol:

I think it might decrease insurance rates, especially if you could show the ins agent proof that your employees attended some sort of official training. I don't like a lot of regulation either, but sometimes you've just gotta have it.

Is it something that you have to show to whoever might be the regulation enforcer? Something that, say, you carry in your wallet?

I don't actually know, but that would be my guess..
I don't have one, since I was licensed as a faller way before they thought of chainsaw licenses, but all my apprentices have to qualify for it.
I'll have to ask Martin how it looks, when he returns from school.

Agreed. Same here in Britain.

I'm amazed you don't have it in the US. I thought Health & Safety crap started with you guys due to the litigation culture.

Actually thats why we dont have it IMO. here if you hurt yourself the "State" or whomever doesnt pay for your medical etc hence jackasses with big bills always try to find somebody to sue because they screwed up. Saddly there are plenty of lawyers ready to take the case..

The two times I've cut myself was with a 'little' saw. If anything, make it even stricter for the big ones. :drink:

They have it here, I believe it is a two day course with mainly classroom and some practical. It costs maybe around $200 or so, and I have also heard of the course being given for free to individuals, probably sponsored by some entity, perhaps a village? It isn't mandatory with regard to purchasing a saw, makes no difference. Some companies will specify that their workers have it, or independent contractors at certain job sites. If you are working government contracts, they will often specify it as well. I don't have one, can't be bothered really, and am of the arrogant opinion that there is nothing for me to learn at this point. I have been told once that an inspector was due a certain day, so to take the day off (my buddy owns the company I was assisting). I am dubious about the degree of effectiveness in terms of preventing injuries. No doubt it covers the basics and can't hurt, but the hands on saw training is limited. Someone writes on the blackboard, "Don't touch the revolving chain", and they tell you to keep a firm stance. The course seems to teach mainly knowledge for you to list in your head, things that you would normally more forcefully get through actual physical experience over time, and those X marks that are written in the first few pages of a saw owner's manual. Without knowing some statistics as to what degree it is helpful in preventing injuries, I think it is hard to say that it is a good idea or not. They are kind of license crazy here, part of the motivation is income from it. I don't trust the paper pushers that decide these things, to be wise on such matters.

I agree that the small saws are much more dangerous than the larger ones. All my scars are from small ones.

One thing it might do, is at least inform people as a whole, that using a saw probably requires a degree of training, or at least having an amount of common sense about it first. As is evidenced in videos posted, that is not always the case. Maybe it could be as simple as like when you renew your drivers license here, you are required to sit down and watch a twenty minute video on safe driving. The video also shows some bad accidents. It does send a certain refreshed message. I think that could be a reasonable thing to require of people that want to buy a saw and have never seen the video before. Even if they have seen it before, watching it again won't kill you.

How does a HO buying a chainsaw affect the cost of insurance on a tree company. All our guys have to be qualified before they get signed off to use them. Joe Blow in Home Depot dont affect our rates. I say no, hand out the Darwin awards.

Small boat operator card/licence is legal requirement in Ontario.
The multiple choice test is a joke. It is nothing more than a money grab disguised as a safety program.
Reckon a mandatory chainsaw course would be just about as useless. Mebbe more. Idiots would take Train the Trainer courses to train more idiots.
How many videos/ pics do you see of "pros" not wearing PPE, or cutting safety corners?

Your own personal safety is your own personal concern is what I believe in my heart of hearts. Then the real world comes into play. Running a saw us serious business. Serious. Proper training to do it safely and efficiently is a must. I don't see that training/testing being done in a manner that would be time and cost effective on a general public scale. Proper pipe is a must but that's just to protect you when the real trick is staying out of harms way in the first place.

My first week (no experience whatsoever) I cut myself, 15 stitches.

Proper training is of the utmost importance. :drink:

Back