Mandatory Chainsaw License

Mandatory Training Required To Purchase A Chainsaw

• Total voters
I think it might decrease insurance rates, especially if you could show the ins agent proof that your employees attended some sort of official training. I don't like a lot of regulation either, but sometimes you've just gotta have it.

Look up Game of Logging.

My first week (no experience whatsoever) I cut myself, 15 stitches.

Proper training is of the utmost importance. :drink:

Yes it is and as a small owner operator it's easy for me to oversee. I don't want to have to pay someone else to do it through either a course or a test. I hesitate to comment on how lucky I've been as I'm somewhat superstitious I guess. Suffice it to say I was trained well and I do the same. I've never turned anyone green loose on a saw. Even if someone is experienced I watch like a hawk. We will always take an on the clock minute or five to assess a situation or discuss something that we feel could've become an incident. Safety is a culture a work environment you create where it's value is always of the utmost importance.

This is a discussion/debate that could last a VERY LONG TIME..... :)
Would people benefit from a "mandatory" chainsaw safety course? I believe many would. But I also believe many(who have no business owning a chainsaw in the first place) would be given some sort of false confidence that they now know how to properly/safely operate a saw. I see two sides, not one right answer.

I believe I can "adequately" operate a saw enough to put a tree safely on the ground. I've never taken a "chainsaw safety" class/course. But I do have at least a little common sense and "mechanical aptitude". I've probably learned more from people here than I'll ever learn from some basic saw class. And that raises another question, to what "depth" would the class/course be? Can one "blanket course" train everyone?
Back to my point, this could go on for a very long time, is this an absolute yes or no for me? No. :thumbdown:

I'll answer this way, every person who comes into the possession of a chainsaw should get "some kind of instruction". As unique and different as each and every one of us are, each one should receive exactly the instruction they need to safely operate a chainsaw.
Now the real question, who makes that decision????? :?:?;)

Butch I know the lasting training class I was at had a company that can help lower worker's comp rates and maybe insurance too? They help your business develop safety training, check to make sure your in compliance with ANSI standards, etc.., The goal is risk management which in turn saves money. I never asked how much for their assistance but I believe this can be achieved on your own. I say No to regulation because it will likely just be a way to make money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But, in a perfect world, what if it wasn't a way to make money but instead, promote safety amongst all of us?

THAT is what I'm on about...

I think there should be some kind of regulation in the form of an I.Q. test or at least some minimum sense of self-preservation.

Like I said, the safety course is only mandatory for professional users here.
No-one gives a damn about casual users.
If you wan't to use a chainsaw as part of your job, be that as landscaper, city park worker, whatever, you get to spend a week at the Forestry school, learning the basics about PPE, safety, sharpening and basic treefalling.
We have extremely strict rules about PPE for pro users as well. If one of my employees got caught not wearina helmet or safety pants, I would be fined heavily.

Today loggers have to take it as part of their 3½ year education as well, which is sorta silly.

I voted no. Who is going to regulate that sort of license, the industry, the government, the insurance companies? It sounds like a great idea in theory and I'm in favor or improving the culture of safety within the industry but from what I've seen and experienced, regulation in most forms does not equal better or safer...

jp:D

I voted no. Who is going to regulate that sort of license, the industry, the government, the insurance companies? It sounds like a great idea in theory and I'm in favor or improving the culture of safety within the industry but from what I've seen and experienced, regulation in most forms does not equal better or safer...

jp:D

Here in the UK, there is an almost identical system in place, as Stig works under. It is not enforced day to day, as that would be impractical, however if there in an accident or incident, then checks would be made. If no chainsaw tickets, then firstly your insurance would be invalid & secondly managers/owners face fines or criminal charges depending on the incident.
The base level of education given in the training stood me in great stead, as I had limited experience running saws before I started out.

As applies to the average person buying a saw, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be forcing adults to do anything where there isn't also the potential to be hurting someone else. You can let people know the hazards of doing something, make that awareness mandatory, and perhaps show them what can result if they are careless or not prepared, then it is up to them to decide what degree of training they want to pursue. If they think they can handle it and then go mangle themselves, there is only one to blame. They then can become another one of the examples.

I'm with Stig and Pete, I took, have and taught the UK tickets. They are practical and knowledge based, if you can't perform the task to the required standard and explain what you are doing, you don't pass.
As for who sets the standard, industry professionals in consultation with the gov't recognized training body (to put it simply)
I have a card I carry in my wallet that shows the module number and the date I attained it, photo, DOB.

IN Tasmania they are making it madatory for people who go firewood cutting, even joe public. If you go cut firewood on someone else's property, you have to have the basic maintenance and operation ticket. It is very similar to the UK (City and Guilds/NPTC CS30) and is a good foundational course to take to keep you out of most trouble!

There are ALWAYS arguments about a money grab, but for our industry I think its a no-brainer.

I would guess that far more people learn to use chainsaws safely from practical experience, than end up hurting themselves that way. I could be wrong. It all seems pretty self understandable to me, as long as you know that there is the potential to be seriously hurt, and some newbie doesn't start out with an 090. :\:

That works great for a big company but not for me. I worked in the forestry industry for a lot of years. Ran a saw doing all sorts of things. Never had any formal training whatsoever but had mentors who showed me the ropes. Some people will mess themselves up
No matter what. There's to many people in the world to protect everyone. I have enough t's to cross and I's to dot as it is. The last thing I need is another course or loophole for the insurance companies to not pay out on heaven forbid to protect some dumbass from themself.

Most injuries probably aren't from doing something that you should have known otherwise about via training. My guess is the majority are from basically knowing, but letting down your guard, in other words, a slip up. Isn't that what we have seen here amongst professionals? That being said, a few tips can't hurt, like your thumb position on the handle.

Aside from climbing with saws, I think most injuries are from not wearing protective pants and kickback.

I used to train karate with a woman who was an emergency room surgeon. She'd tell me about all the dummies that came in, having cut some vital part of themselves off. Pretty gruesome stories, some of them.

I think most injuries are from sticking a saw in your leg, rather than not wearing saw pants. I'm not wearing saw pants right now, and the risk of a cut is zero.:D

No to any licensing but...

Every saw should come with a pair of chaps included.

Any one remember when saws didn't have chain brakes?

Just make the tools as safe as possible and let people decide for themselves how
much training they need.

Our culture has become one of hand holding and baby sitting adults.

Our culture has become one of hand holding and baby sitting adults.
agreed, forcing regulation does nothing. I remember being in a class of 15 or so getting a cert in CPR. we all passed the tests but only one or two people knew how to do it. people get drivers license and training all the time but we all know people suck at driving. it changes nothing

That is a good point and a strange thing. Difficult training doesn't seem to produce wiser users at an amateur level. I guess that they don't take the whole issue serious enough when they get on their own.

Back