HAAS Knee Ascender

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Here is a short video and some pics of my modified HAAS device .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WHRMYTjg1Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=3535

Stock HAAS

haas1.jpg

My mods

uploadfromtaptalk1375194777346.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1375194802169.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1375194818047.jpg

Nice preliminary review, Nick. ;)

The excess below the foot loop looks cumbersome and would get in the way. Do you see it as a problem? :?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jack, its definitely bulky, but the performance makes up for it. I am going to shorten it to where the taper begins, but beyond that will interfere with the liner. Also, the ridgidity seems to help in use.

Nick,
the performance on that Haas looks "too good to be true", especially when he does that 75' climb..... :/:
Have you found the "performance/efficiency" to be that good? :?

Editing is done. Really excited about it so I am going to publish it tonight.

ETA 30 minutes

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 9.46.04 PM.png

Its stuck on processing the server load might be too high. The link below will work once it is up...

edit: youtube is having an issue... hopefully it will be available today.

Nice, as usual, Nick. I am guessing that if the HASS was too long for you it will be too long for most folks. It would be good if a shorter one could be offered.

Randy, a well setup knee ascender is very fast and efficient and the best way to advance a primary climbing tool that has some degree of friction more than a Croll.

David

Very nice Nick. :thumbup:
You workin' on any more modifications to your Haas? :?
Lookin' back over the past year or so(since I started SRT)the progression in climbing gear is truly amazing! :D
Can't wait to see what's comin' next! :thumbright:

I will cut the excess off and whip it but that's it. Its fine out of the box, bone stock, but the tinkerer in me never rests.

I've watched these Hass and Knee ascender videos. They are good vids, but they just illustrate a rope walker system. And the rope walker system has been around for over 40 years. The only difference is the parts. Otherwise it's still the same. The wheel re-invented, again. Not to rain on anybodies parade, but that is what it is.

Nonetheless the rope walker is KING.

I've watched these Hass and Knee ascender videos. They are good vids, but they just illustrate a rope walker system. And the rope walker system has been around for over 40 years. The only difference is the parts. Otherwise it's still the same. The wheel re-invented, again. Not to rain on anybodies parade, but that is what it is.

Nonetheless the rope walker is KING.

The wheel has come a long way, a millstone to a wagon wheel, pneumatic tires, lug nuts, solid state rubber tires... All have been advancements of the original simple idea.

You are right about the HAAS and the other guys knee ascender videos, they are just different takes on the original concept of the rope walker. There are counteless ways to utilize both legs in rope ascent system, I have tried pretty much every one I ever heard of and then some (which doesnt qualify anything at all except that I am a rope nerd). The HAAS might not do something NEW, but it dos it in a new way.

In terms of simplicity for the user, ease of setup-storage-on/off the rope, the HAAS is top notch. Its like a sports car compared to a F150, both will get you to the same place, the F150 is easy to fix and cheap, its reliable and it gets the job done... The HAAS or the sports car costs a little more, and is a luxury, but its fast, sleek and purpose built.

It definitely has its limitations... If the bungee wears out you either have to take it apart and replace it or buy a new one (replacing it wouldnt be impossible, I took mine apart tonight and put it back together no problem). The length and adjustability werent perfect for me, but a few quick customizations solved that no problem.

Overall I think the HAAS is pretty great. It is easy to use, works without issue, it is highly effective, and efficient. The unit is well made with good finish quality.

Without the prior work done on the DLRW, Jerrys efforts to publicize and educate, the internet, forums like this and lots of other factors we wouldnt have any of this stuff. I dont think anyone is representing any of the new setups as earth shattering, never before seen concepts, just elegant innovative approaches to a time proven technique.

I just finished shortening it and tidying it up. I was limited in how much I could shorten it by the construction.

Footloop
20130802_224915.jpg

Footloop laid flat
20130802_224856.jpg

Stowed
20130802_225159.jpg

The finished end, the eye is just sewn in, it isnt load bearing
20130802_224952.jpg

Note: if anyone takes it apart and cuts the tenex, make sure to gather the ends into a few bundles and tape it up before you tinker with it... It can start unraveling quickly. Honestly I thought it was made out of double braid rope cover it was so tight, DUH its TENEX!.

The On Rope 1 Stiff step (blue part only) might work well with that instead of the foot loop... just clip into it's delta.
f01r.jpg

You can pry my eye and eye footloop from my cold dead hands. Its hands down above any other foot loop I have tried. Its the perfect length for my boot, it goes on and off easy, stows flat since it hangs from one end, its durable....

Whatever ascent system you use, if you need a foot loop making an eye and that just long enough to squeeze over your boot closed is best. Once in the tree you can just un-clip it and it falls off, perfect for when you are in that awkward position. No bulky adjustment hardware... Its the bees knees!

A while back I used a custom footlloop that attached like a panting or what not. It was for a knee ascender but the concept was to keep it on and disconnect it from the knee ascender.... Footloops are a perfect example of why custom stuff is so nice!

Back