No mas 372s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
372s: from first to worst.

You run what you got even if the saw isnt up to other 372's (it was a turd from new). Ask cory it happens.
He didnt have to tell me but he did. I didnt have to tell you but I did too. Would you rather think the 372 got it's azz handed to it and not know any difference . ;) :lol:

Makes sense.

Id expect a OE 372 to rule the roost in that comparison. Ive had a pile of 044's, and a pile of old style 372's, and while the 44's were great weapons, the 372s pulled ahead by a bit.

Tuck did you see that 372 440 445 test I did? That 372 I built was super strong and I really thought it would or might even out cut the DP muffler modded 440 I built even though the muffler on the 372 was stock still, just screen pulled. What surprised me was the completely stock rebuilt poulan out cut them both with spark screen still in and all. All 70.7cc all running 3/8 7 and same square chain. It is what it is.

Here it is.

All 3 saws were rebuilt by me and are 70.7cc. Poulan 445, Husky 372, Stihl 440

Thread http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.c.../msg21372/#new

Testing was done in a nice piece of solid 14" ash

All saws ran 7T 3/8 and all were set in the 13.4k to 13.7k range. Chain was a fresh square off w8ye square grinder. Rakers were (guessing 27 to 29) just over 25 but less then 30. Same chain ran on all saws

2 cuts 14" firm solid fresh take down ash.

372 11.87 11.91 stock no muffler mods.

440 10.94 10.93 stock with muffler mod, DP muffler cover with enlarged side exit hole too.

445 10.13 10.44 stock no muffler mods and still had spark screen installed.

I really thought the 445 was going to be the slowest in the cut as quite as it was and throttle response wise out of cut. Even in the cut I thought it might have been the slowest till the times were being read out to me.

Update on 2 576's: they each cut like hell on wheels for a couple weeks then each pooped the bed about a week apart. One suddenly started running like crap, very boggy, and the other stalled at idle and wouldn't restart. Had to use my one good running 372 to get me thru till they were repaired;). I brought them to the dealer who didn't know too much about how to fix them, they finally got a computer plug in for them, plugged them in and the saws supposedly reset themselves to proper settings. They test ran fine for 15 seconds in the saw shop parking lot (no saw logs to test them on:roll:) so we'll see tomorrow how they do. They start easy and cut great when they run, let's see how dependable they are going to be. Hopefully they won't see the shop again for 2 or 3 years now

I still hold to my reservations on a computer chip in saws.
I was taught that there were several things harmful to a computer....
Dust
Heat
Oil
Water
Power surges and brown outs.
Vibration and shocks..

Sooooooooooo... Let's stick one in a chain saw:|:

Ha, good one, CV!

I put a quarter tank thru one of em, it was a screaming eagle till it pooped the bed, again. So I grabbed the other 576 and it made it thru the day just fine, but fully expect it to poop out in the near future. Dealer says the are going to replace all electronics in the saw...

Yup. Not a saw for me. Sometimes falling timber up here its a long pack in. Like a mile. No thank you sir. I would rather pull on a 372 the 12 times required to start it when its cold than have to worry if it will run all day. Talk about dropping the ball. They really screwed up there. Should have put their effort into an 80 cc 372 .

You better get your old and new style 372's then. Because it wont be long and the autotune versions of the (I call it) 572xp will be on ya. Been out on the test market with cutters since last year that I know of. ;)

They don't sell the non-autotune 576 anymore? When I bought mine about 4 years ago I had a choice. I went with the non and it hasn't given a bit of trouble and runs strong.

I don't think they do, my dealer only had the auto tune.

I kept one of 372's I bought before, the best of the bunch, and it is pretty good. Starting is fair at best but it cuts well.

My local dealer still does not have the computer for the auto tune...
I ain't touching non of that with a 10 foot pole if I can help it.
Just rebuild the older stuff I will (in his best Yoda voice)

I am buying older rebuilt saws. I have a guy building me a 242 with a 246 bottom end and all new parts. It should be a sweet screamin limb saw!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 562XP right now, all the other problems aside, I really think they got this saw right!

Got the repaired 576 back from the dealer following its second breakdown. They put in new carb and electronics. Runs great again, we'll see for how long. I will say again though that when they are running right, the 576 is a dream of a saw.

Thank you. They are an amazing saw (when they run....:/:) They are the kind of saw that makes you cut better, if that makes any sense; just after I bought the saw we cleared a big lot, alot of big tall trees, I usually try for precision cutting, but I noticed that every stump I made came out basically perfect, without any real time or effort spent to make them so. I attributed it to the saw being smooth and powerful and balanced. The saw brought out the best in me.

Im not sure about all these 562 worries? Is this stuff you heard from AS or stuff you have personally dealt with? My 562 has got about a zillion hours on it since last fall and the only thing ive done is tap the air filter out a few times. Mine is actually fading white on top from sun exposure already if that tells you how much job time it has seen in one year.

My friend David bought two 562XPs when they came out. Both had issues with the starter assembly - the drive pins bent, but his crew does an amazing volume of work. He figures if the guys used the compression release every time they would have been fine. The starter has been re-designed and the new ones are holding up very well. They are the crews go-to saws and he says they have done nothing at all to them but put gas in them and run them. On rain days they may clean the air filters while they are working on the other saws, though the 562s rarely need cleaning.

If I were buying a new saw I would definitely consider the 562xp

Back