Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

P.S. Howard, often questions are best asked/ answered with visual aids. Pictures/ links speak a thousand words? A pencil and paper drawing is a good way around difficult descriptions.

Low and Slow. If you're even not sure...Stop. Pause, figure it out.

We don't have any New Mexico posters. Show us some pics of your trees and local architecture. I've lived in the desert, and spent some time in NM, mostly Taos area. B-E-A-Utiful!!

There's a work pic thread that's also suitable for non-work climbing pics, too, IMO. I'm headed for another cuppa coffee...i'm having a little brainial flatulation at the moment about the other thread for pics to suggest.

A ways away from the PNWet.

Howard, were you born in 1970? Are you 70? Something else?

Hello Sean:

I'll get some photos early in December - we're off to Bend, Oregon for a couple of weeks tomorrow. I'll have some questions about crown reduction of three sycamores that define our backyard. New Mexico is a great state, especially if you like getting out in the backcountry without encountering lots of other folks.

"Howard70" is a username I've used for many years. Came about around 2000 when I was signing up for something (I've forgotten what) and tried "Howard" (taken by someone else), then "Howard1" (same), then "Howard2" (you guessed it). After a couple more tries I jumped way ahead to "Howard70" & it was available. Been using it since. I wasn't born in 1970 and am not 70 - but it's not far off, I'm 65.

Thanks again for the advice.

Howard

Last edited:
Hello all I’m new to climbing and started with drt climbing and used all friction hitches to learn to go up and down the tree . I would like to learn how to use a single line what gear would I need to advance my learning

Welcome to the TreeHouse, TG - make yourself at home. I suggest you peruse the threads first, get a feel for everything. There are no hard and fast rules concerning gear - it's quite a subjective thing.

Read a bit! :beer:

HI there, welcome to the House :)
Type in some key words to the search function, there are lots of threads about SRT here. I reckon most of us would say get comfortable moving around on drt with a safety mindset, then gradually transition to SRT, keeping in mind the differences that can affect your safety.

Hello all I’m new to climbing and started with drt climbing and used all friction hitches to learn to go up and down the tree . I would like to learn how to use a single line what gear would I need to advance my learning

Read the Hitchhiker/ Rope Wrench thread (IIRC) in the Climbing forum. Knowledge is power. Beyond that...a stick with a basic hole in it at one end, and a tether at the other. The original Rope Wrench, before the ZK1 metal RW-proper, was also made in detroit, out of a stick. You just need a 45 degree hole drilled a bit bigger than your rope. Smooth it, shape it with a piece of junk rope and some sand, maybe. Wash it off, test it. It's just additional friction.

A Hitch-hiker is my go-to. SRT/ DdRT, ready to rock, no change-over or risk of getting hit in the teeth. HH2s are slick, slightly more compact, but my original HH was from the early days of availability, and its basically no worse for wear that I notice. Original biner. Wesspur tender (that I'm not in love with, but better than a sharp stick in the eye).

I'm still on my original HH, original biner and dogbone...homemade tender, all good. Built tough!

HH4Lyfe...I need a sticker

(but have tried and like the Akimbo....)

Boss....I snipped this part out of a longer video related to martial arts and energy focus. This fellow has some good skills...uses primitive means...just himself and a native rope...to accomplish his task.

Some of his techniques might give you a WTF...well, they should anyway. The initial climb is epic. :D

More than one way to skin that cat.....and don't forget to have the groundie send up fire.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LJE-gd1g2so" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. Pull yourself up by your neck, have a rest on a small rope between your cheeks and then bite on that same rope to hold your weight while holding two torches. It all looked impressive and very uncomfortable.

Wow. Pull yourself up by your neck, have a rest on a small rope between your cheeks and then bite on that same rope to hold your weight while holding two torches. It all looked impressive and very uncomfortable.

:lol: GREAT description of what is there....

Jonny....something to be said for your comment, too...:lol:

part out of a longer video related to martial arts and energy focus.

Other parts of the video show resistance to cuts, walking on nails, etc. This was an element to show resistance to choking and bite strength. Some MA styles still train how to bite...it is an art of its own.

Another part of the video showed a man being drug in circles by two other men...both had a rope wrapped around the dragee's neck...showing ability to survive extreme forces.

I'll just play devil's advocate here :).

I didn't see anything very challenging in all that hocus pocus of a climb. Even me, old and weak, could do that hand over hand while keeping any serious pressure off the chin and back of head (no pressure on the soft tissue parts of his neck at all to my eye). The fire...meh, nothing but showmanship, nothing done with the flames at all, just show them and toss them down.

So there :D.

Howdy Gang,

Brandan from Colorado here. 22 year retired wildland firefighter, lots of helitack, burn ops, miles walked, and trees dropped in the fire realm. I spent a short time in the corporate realm that did not sit well with me after leaving the fire service. Quit that crap, and I'm currently in school to go back to the fire world as a helicopter mech. and crew chief. My love for felling trees has come screaming back after running into a local climber/arborist while buying a new Stihl 462 a couple of weeks ago. Monday, I'm going to start working in my off time from school as a groundie for him and look forward to absorbing every bit of knowledge I can. Thanks for the great thread; I'm sure I'll have thousands of questions as I start this new journey! Thanks much.

Back