Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Visual reference
d17e193ed8a180faf8998c24833f8bc7.jpg

It does look like it Gary 🤔

I just poached it off a google search.

i remember there being a certain way to make the 'z rig' be a 3:1 m.a. - as stated above,in regards to the pretension of the lowering line,it would require something different than shown in the video to get the advantage working with the PW but clearly there is no configuration that could prove practical.
Not to mention the fact that there is actually no need as long as you know what you're doing!! 😬

Thanks, Burnham!

Feeling better that--at least when it comes to trees--a) I know that I don't know much and b) I never feel confident! :lol:

I would never have learned to climb if it wasn't for my old foreman that trained me, and he wouldn't have trained me if I hadn't busted my ass working the ground for 2 years first.
My advice to a new prospective climber would be to already understand and have experience in rigging, and become a pro at using a saw on the ground first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would never have learned to climb if it wasn't for my old foreman that trained me, and he wouldn't have trained me if I hadn't busted my ass working the ground for 2 years first.
My advice to a new prospective climber would be to already understand and have experience in rigging, and become a pro at using a saw on the ground first.

That's an interesting thought about busting it on the ground....the tree mans version of walking up the mountain to the zen masters hut every day for two years perhaps.

Welcome to The Tree House Johnny Hart.

Well I'm sure there's people that have bought the equipment and tools and just go for it. I'd wager some of them turned out fine too, but I'd also wager many were involved in accidents that could've been easily prevented with a set of more experienced eyes. It'd be easier to learn it these days with so much video and instruction out there to reference.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but if I was to pick up such a gruesome hobby, I'd like to have an experienced cat skinner show me the ins and outs.

I can help with skinning cats, hogs, deer, coons, squirrels, and so forth. Just let me know.

20181102_110810.jpg

Ropes can go in a chipper just as fast in a bucket as if you're climbing. I try to hang the rope on something that will tear away. In this case a plastic saw scabbard.

Probably not in Ohio -- not yet anyway... Congrats on the soon-coming knot tying. Hopefully more than a half hitch, it will be fully hitched!

Back