Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

For the 3:1, use a revolver carabiner under the basic, with the little pulley built in to it, it takes out enough friction to work.

As for your friction hitch, are you using the supplied beeline? It might take a few climbs just to get it broken in. Experiment with how many wraps you have as well, different people, weight, different number of wraps...

I use a bent gate carabiner clipped into the same bridge ring as the HH biner, for reducing friction where your rope comes out of the bottom of the HH, seems to work just fine.

Ok, so I have a HUGE spreading oak tree to work on, put the first climb into it yesterday.
Lately I have been using a pulley below my HH, but with all the unclipping and reclipping to pass around branches and such I went back to my original bent gate biner on the bridge ring. So much easier for the on and off, almost as much friction saving as the pulley, I'm going back to my biner.

Pulley experiment is over. :)

...Pulley experiment is over. :)

God, I miss large spreading Oaks. We each have to find what works best for our individual climbing styles and setups and I'm glad you found yours, Fiona. But I am curious to know if you ever tried out the system I mentioned, where the fixed side plate pulley grips the bridge ring after capturing the rope. On most of my climbs I am not constantly removing the HH from my bridge but when I need to, this makes it simple and fumble free.

Attachments

• 20150409_100116-2.jpg
    20150409_100116-2.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150409_100135.jpg
    20150409_100135.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 119
I had the pulley, not cinched though...I suppose with my upcoming time off I could experiment.

I was out there again yesterday, two more oaks...they are so much fun to climb, branches everywhere, nice and sturdy, me likey!

This may have been discussed already but, I see the HH2 is 25KN vs the 40KN of the original HH.

Is there a reason for the reduced rating other than shaving weight and size?

I was really hoping to see an NFPA 1983 version eventually.

I had the pulley, not cinched though...I suppose with my upcoming time off I could experiment.

I was out there again yesterday, two more oaks...they are so much fun to climb, branches everywhere, nice and sturdy, me likey!
Biner in place of bridge ring, everything stays together on redirects. I had to take down a couple of of live oaks this afternoon, yes, branches everywhere, plenty of solid wood just can't get a high tie in in them, feels like walking a trapeze on some of the limb walks. Getting really hot here, how's your weather there Bermy?

There is no way they will ever be NFPA certified, it would cost more than we would ever make on all the sales of all of our products. NFPA is such a scam IMO and fire fighters pay the price with inflated priced products. I am jaded as I paid $900 some dollars for an E version of the 1983 which after a year wouldn't open due to being out of date?? WTF so I rented it??

This may have been discussed already but, I see the HH2 is 25KN vs the 40KN of the original HH.

Is there a reason for the reduced rating other than shaving weight and size?

I was really hoping to see an NFPA 1983 version eventually.

I think its the smaller dog bone that puts it at 25KN ?

and I was wondering why the smaller dog bone on HH2, it seems to bind/grab more than larger bone on orig HH so far...just checking

Will the 40 KN version still be available?

I know when I take mine out and have show and tell with some of the Tech Rescuers I train with I can see the wheels start turning in their mind.

For wilderness rescue NFPA isn't a factor but having a 40KN version would be good.

treestuff and wesspur should still have em ;)

Yeah I saw that but I can't personally buy another one right now but I would like to be able to tell others

if the 40kn version will be available into the future. I personally think the HH2 would be preferable but I can't justify replacing my HH.

It will likely last a long, long time. It's become one of my favorite tools.

Yep

Dont take it wrong, I like my HH2, just workin out some bugs...craftmenship and quality are top notch ;)

Yep Dont take it wrong, I like my HH2, just workin out some bugs...craftmenship and quality are top notch ;)

Give yourself some time to get to know it. The HH2 can be setup to preform on a par with the original HH while still being smaller, lighter and stronger than any other part of your climbing system. My old HH just sits on a shelf gathering dust.

I think its the smaller dog bone that puts it at 25KN ?

Nope, it is way stronger than that. Paul always has a reason for what he does but the 25KN rating on the new HH2 is, imho, very conservative.

The HH was tested by Yale Rope, not sure what method they used to come up with the 40kN. I went to CMI to test the HH2. Weakest link is the steel CT biner which breaks at over 8000lbs (would have to look for the exact number) We pulled one with a dog bone in both ends and a dogbone broke at about 12000. 25kN is very conservative but is all it needs to be rated at.

anyone hand tending the HH on ascension? maybe backasswards but I've been tending my RW by hand with short strap and using a short fixed cord to tend the knee ascender instead of a bungee. easy switch over and not much to store.

I will for short movements but it is so much better to keep your hands free and to allow your legs to do as much work as possible. It may seem that having a shoulder strap or neck bungee along with a self -advancing knee ascender is just adding more stuff but it truly is minimal and oh so worth it.

Always climb with a foot ascender and neck loop. Sit/stand on short ascents. I have a DMM ascender with a foot loop and hand loop on longer ascents (rope walking set up, haven't found suitable or long lasting bungee cord up here). It's handy to have when I want to set up a quick 3:1 system when working. I have a ditty bag on my saddle to stow things...too many things sometimes.

There is no way they will ever be NFPA certified, it would cost more than we would ever make on all the sales of all of our products. NFPA is such a scam IMO and fire fighters pay the price with inflated priced products. I am jaded as I paid $900 some dollars for an E version of the 1983 which after a year wouldn't open due to being out of date?? WTF so I rented it??

That IS disgusting.

Tim

Had my tether get stuck on my hh2 again today and locked everything up. I emailed wesspur the other day and they are offering a new shorter tether for sale for the hh2 now, in case anyone is interested

That's a bummer and a little surprising, too. One of the attributes of the new sloping upper edge is that things tend to slip off of it more easily when the carabiner is weighted.

Back