Ringing Bells in Ohio

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I am participating in my first TCC tomorrow at the Ohio ISA Chapter TCC... Will update via my phone throughout the day!

They allowed my Sidewinder and homemade slack tender, but did not allow the HitchHiker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At first they said the HH was in, then out. Today when someone asked about the Wrench they said no, so I piped in "What about the HH?" They said it was in! Then during gear check they said no... Whatever.

They do allow the Petzl RIG for SRT... I plan on using one for the AR event as we already saw the scenario.

I mentioned that you had all the tests done to the ISA's standards, AND that I had filled out the appropriate new equipment requests and new technique requests with ITCC TAC, both well before the stated the deadline, but it was to no avail. I am going to the best I can with I got! I will do some video if I can.

I am participating in my first TCC tomorrow at the Ohio ISA Chapter TCC... Will update via my phone throughout the day!

They allowed my Sidewinder and homemade slack tender, but did not allow the HitchHiker.

Nick,
looking forward to those updates, and hearing you did well! :D

I am taking you rigSAVER to show off!

Nick,
I have no doubt you'll be getting more than a few good comments.....;)
If you get a chance to post any "extra" pics of the gear you're making, I'd sure appreciate it. :D
Hope to hear updates of some good results from tomorrow. :)

...They do allow the Petzl RIG for SRT... I plan on using one for the AR event as we already saw the scenario...

Nick, check and see but I think you will need to disable the plastic gate latch buy putting a rivet or bolt through the small hole in front of it.

"ITCC does not perform any testing itself; however, the committees’ joint position is that certain background information is essential in order to make a qualified decision on the use of equipment for an intended purpose. Information requested includes list of standards that the devices conform to, what dynamic and static testing was performed, and photo and video documentation of the testing.
Bernard Bressoux, technical director of Petzl, issued a letter allowing single line use of the RIG – without a second safety line and a backup device. By doing so, Petzl is the only manufacturer to provide the requested information and consequently single line, non-backed up use of the RIG and the I’D S or L will be allowed for work positioning at ISA tree climbing competitions as from the 2012 International Tree Climbing Championships in Portland.
Should climbers wish to use this device on a single, stationary line without a back-up, they will be required, based upon rule 2.2.12, to disable the black plastic safety gate on the RIG and the I’D S by inserting a suitable rivet or bolt into the slot indicated by the red arrow, (See images) thus preventing unintentional opening of the device."

http://itcc.isa-arbor.com/rulesregulations/advisories/advisories.aspx

Then go to the link for Petzl Rig and Single Line Use

Well, I dont have a bolt, or a rivet...

The question is: It already passed gear check and I will be using it on the dummy... Since it wont be supporting me, and I will be using it in one of its primary applications, rescue (per Petzl's instructions), I wonder if it will fly.

Best of luck man, it's an awesome experience!

SRT is allowed in some comps, it just depends.

As for the HH, I'm told it should be allowed, the ITCC TAC thing is, whatever you use must be below your hitch and the HH fits that. Word on the street is tho, certain people on the TAC board are developing their own SRT device that sits below the hitch, so they're stonewalling other devices until they can get theirs out, bunch of money hungry bastards they are. And it's not hearsay either, I've talked too people who are actually testing the device right now.

Ohio held on for as long as they could allowing srt but they cracked down pretty hard this year. There are way better comps that are not sanctioned. Come up to the Bartlett tree jam July 17th in port huron and they will let you run your HH. I am sadly done with ISA comps. Too much drama.

Best of luck man, it's an awesome experience!

SRT is allowed in some comps, it just depends.

As for the HH, I'm told it should be allowed, the ITCC TAC thing is, whatever you use must be below your hitch and the HH fits that. Word on the street is tho, certain people on the TAC board are developing their own SRT device that sits below the hitch, so they're stonewalling other devices until they can get theirs out, bunch of money hungry bastards they are. And it's not hearsay either, I've talked too people who are actually testing the device right now.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

It was great! I didn't do great but I learned a lot.

Knowledge acquired is good. :)
Knowledge acquired and remembered is great. :D
Knowledge acquired, remembered, and used is one of the very best tools anyone can ever get, and it's free! :thumbright:
All we need is to be teachable..... ;)

Glad to hear it Nick.
Any comments on the gear you're making?
Any good pics from today?

I had fun with all the events. I had a 41 second footlock (50'), I had a $20 bet that I could do it in <45 seconds so a win is a win. I was in the second group and they decided after noone including me could easily reach the bell (I am 6'3" have really long arms) that they should move the bell. They offered everyone in the first two footlock groups the option to retry but I declined.

I made some mistakes in the work climb due to be flustered but I hit all the stations and landed the bullseye, albeit I moved my foot how, within the time limit (by about a 1/10 a second). I was the 4th person to go and everyone swung wildly to get the landing and I redirected through a small (small!) lateral but because I was low on time I burned down and stumbled a bit I guess.

The arial rescue went really well but I timed out by less than a second unclipping the dummy. I thought I would be able to tie in to a 5" branch but it had a mild downward slope I didnt notice from the ground. The judges (rightfully) made me go around the whole trunk. I put the dummy on a Petzl Rig with the line just choked around two branches (one the sloping one). I was coming down with time and just hit a lot of friction on my system. I saw a lot of guys using secret weapon and think what I should have done was just clipped two biners into a pair of butterfly knots (one in each leg of my footlock line) and run my climbing system off of that.

The speed climb was pretty straight forward and uneventful.

The throwline has never been an easy thing for me, I scored like 5 points. I kept missing at the second high spot so I hit a 3 point low, scored the throwline then the rope and called it abandoned. Kept shooting at a mid untill I had like 20 seconds and then threw a pretied loose monkeyfist over the other low one. The tail flipped over a higher line and my chance of isolating it vaporized. THe tree was a short compact honey locust and the circle felt really small to me.

Over all it was a blast and I will try and get to some more TCCs in the future.

I showed a ton of people my rigSAVERs and other gear and met general approval. A lot of the other guys had custom stuff which was neat to see. A LOT of people asked about the Sidewinder Lanyard as most had never seen one.

I got a lot of video footage but havent looked at an yet. Believe it or not the only photo I took was of my breakfast and then left my phone in the truck most of the day.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Back