Singing Tree Rope Runner

I am super excited to try it. Is there a TreeStuff price, yet, for when they become available? Will they be sold through Wesspur?

So Kevin/ Nick, what happens if a loose branch slides down your line into this Bird?

its bad news. there are some things about the runner that are great, but this is a hazard that is even more exposed than other tools. it is more exposed than an HH, more exposed than the uni (they are more similar) more exposed than the ART products. I feel like the Rope Wrench is the least exposed because if it is engaged, nothing is unengageing it. THe Rope wrench has the problem of people tying sloppy hitches. The Runner engages every time without guess work. It can operate ddrt with some proper understanding. Its an interesting device. Dont honestly know how I feel about it yet. I like it a lot, but it can be entangled like you said. I have been on it for more than a year now and I am still here. you have to aware when using the Runner. I have a few going out to some people for low and slow trials. based on that feedback, we will see where we will go.

I'll be a guinea pig. With SRT I can see a serious concern, Ddrt maybe not so much. I obviously haven't seen this unit, but I am sure, with some thought, you could be prepared for his scenario.

) more exposed than the ART products

Worse than a spiderjack? The sj2.1 lever is pretty long and I certainly had my share of times bumping it. That never kept me from using it though. It was just something I made sure to keep aware of.

I'm with Bud, if you want more feedback I'd be a GP for sure.

photo 1-2.jpg Wahoo, got mine today. I want to hate this thing for obvious reasons but after hanging on it in my bedroom I have to admit it freakin rocks!! I was not 100% sold until I set it up Ddrt and it works awesome too. That would be a deal killer for me as I switch back and forth all day long. I was surprised by how much force it takes to release, not too worried about stuff falling down the rope and releasing it.

Kevin you da man!!

Why do you say not to connect your Ddrt below it?? I tied a stopper Knot through my ring and it seems to work dandy.

Stopper knot through the ring, very clever.

When do we get a rotating TreeStuff RopeRunner? :D

Any documented cases of sliding branches causing a fall? I've never heard of one specifically.

The seamless change-over is very useful. Glad to hear its both SRT/ DdRT compatible.

Bump.

Hey, guys and gals. There is this guy who posted a single video on YouTube, so far, that shows an amazing technique he's developed in using the Rope Runner. The manner in which he captures both ropes keeps them running straight through the Rope Runner. Here is a link to his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykc0dnzuPE&feature=player_detailpage

He has a second video on Vimeo. I'll try to include a link to his 2nd video here.

http://vimeo.com/116712398

Here is a link to the thread on Treebuzz forum in which he first posted links to his videos. I hope Butch doesn't mind.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/rope-runner.27691/page-12

He calls himself "Johnny Pro" on YouTube, and just "Johnny" on Vimeo. He seems like a funny, quirky dude. So far, he's like an online mime, in that all of the talking that I've seen him do so far is done by posting links to videos or other web pages that try to answer peoples questions. He may have good reasons for this, and I do not begrudge him his silence. I do not wish to discourage him from contributing in whatever form he wishes to. I'm just really glad that he chose to create and post these videos.

One big advantage I see in his technique, aside from the fact that all he seems to need is two foot ascenders, is that both ropes get tended at the same time. Whenever I climb with two ropes, which I do a lot, my primary rope is being tended by my over-the-shoulder bungee, but so far I manually tend my second rope.

So far, the only thing I can see in what he's doing that would cause me some concern is that it looks like he might have at least the possibility of loading the gate of his carabiner.

He is so good at what he does, however, that I can't help but think that my concern is not justified, and that it works just fine for him, and safely, too. Further in that same thread he names the rope he's using with this technique. Here is the link to that rope.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/201001880_v_4160_60_87_0/8.7-Serenity.html

Thanks for your time, and hopefully this will start some lively discussion.

Tim

Tim now that is an exciting revelation. Single rope x2. Who would have thunk it . He has developed this technique to complement his climbing style and the result is outstanding . Kudos to that lad. He moves so effortlessly it is enspiring

wcmccon asked:

"Just in passing, has anyone here placed an order with Treestuff for one of these?"

I have not, as of yet. I would love to, but I think I might have to hold off for a bit. One thing I would like to call up TreeStuff and ask them about with regard to this issue, is whether or not they are going to charge your credit card instantly in order to put your name on the pre-order list, or if they will wait to charge the credit card only when the Rope Runner actually ships.

I suspect that they'll charge the card now, and forward the money to Kevin Bingham, which will help him to pay for the materials he needs to make the Rope Runners in the first place. The pre-order process would allow Kevin to have a gauge for the actual demand for the product. Taking the payments in advance and forwarding the money to Kevin right away would allow him to avoid having to go deeply in debt, possibly, just to fund the first run of his product.

Also, if Kevin is doing his own manufacturing, which I suspect and hope he is doing, it keeps more of the profit for all of his hard work in his own hands, to help him grow his business, as opposed to having to cut in a third party manufacturer on the deal.

The more I write about this, the more willing I find myself getting to part with money I can't really afford to, in order to invest in a man who has given us all so much. I would love to hear Nick Bonner chime in on the background details of the money transaction. I think if everyone knew that the money was being forwarded to Kevin Bingham right away in order to fund his first big run, plenty of people would jump on board in order to give Kevin's business the big push it deserves.

Until I make the phone call, I won't know for sure.

The Rope Runners won't ship until March 1st, 2015, according to TreeStuff's web page.

Tim

Here is a link to the thread on Treebuzz forum in which he first posted links to his videos. I hope Butch doesn't mind.

I would be surprised if Butch minded, he isn't dopey like that.

It looks like a fascinating tool!

I do very little SRT so Im a serious newbie/dinosaur. But, to ascend srt with the RR, do you only need it plus 2 foot ascenders? That would seem to be a very nice reduction in gear needed.

Back