• I have only used the Rope Wrench and love it

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I have not used either one

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • This is a stupid question. I use a a wraptor

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks, guys! Some good suggestions and observations. Most of the questions will just need to be resolved by field testing but I can say that I used to run some pretty large bushings in one of Paul's early prototypes with good results and no problems.

Dave

041612005-1.jpg

Dave, did you find that having the bushing on the carabiner made slack tending any smoother?

I went with Rope Wrench but to be fair I only have 2 climbs on a HH (one with 10mm Beeline and one with 8mm OP neither was nearly as smooth as my RW setup. One thing I really like about the rope wrench being above my hitch is that it pushes debris out of the way of my hitch on ascents (sometimes), I also like how the tether sort of blocks one side of my hitch like a shield. Lastly I like being tied into the hitch itself rather then into the HH, I know its probably a moot point considering how strong the HH is however its a personal unexplainable comfort thing.

I am willing to bet that if I spent some time on the HH and really dialed it in I would love it, but I have been running some type of RW system for so long its what I am comfortable with.

Yes, Leon, it was pretty smooth but it is hard to compare that setup to the current model as without the dogbone there was no way to adjust hitch tension.

Dave

Wondering if HH converts converted from zk1 or 2. Stiff tether/ non stiff tether. I feel the HH is definitly a step up from zk1 with floppy tether. Or zk2 with floppy tether. Nothing beats a well tied hitch and a ZK 2 with a nice stiffy in my honest completely unbiased ;) opinion.

...I also like how the tether sort of blocks one side of my hitch like a shield...

I think this is cool! Not because I feel the same way but because it exemplifies why we all use and prefer different ways. The human factor.

For me, having the hitch fully exposed and controllable, even with a blind or awkward grab, was a totally novel and enjoyable experience.

Dave

I agree, I think they are both excellent tools. And it's great that we have the option to choose between them. :)

One thing I can really dig about the HH is its ability to cinch up tight to a stem when blocking out wood. This is where I use the RIG instead of the RW. Since 90% of my work is pruning/cabling/Rec Climbing the RW works great for me.

quabin where in MA are you? We should climb sometime.

I just popped a spacer for a pinto rig pulley on the steel biner in the HH. Nice fit. We have the NE Grows show over the next few days so it'll be a while before I give it a proper run but I'm looking forward to it.

Adam I am in New Salem just north of the quabbin res. about 50 min west of worcester. I'm up for climbing anytime.

...I just popped a spacer for a pinto rig pulley on the steel biner in the HH. Nice fit...

Adam, make sure that the flared sides of the bushing do not contact the aluminum bar of the HH before the carabiner comes to full grip.

Dave

It actually ends up being a tight enough fit that there's no chance of it making it's way back. Seems to roll nicely. I'm not sure how that would play out in decent as it would obviously reduce friction.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360072566.312490.jpg

quabin you're not exactly down the street but if you're ever planning a big rec climb out there keep me in the loop! And if you're ever out this way hit me up.

... I'm not sure how that would play out in decent as it would obviously reduce friction...

Use caution; but I never felt any loss of grip from the bushings as most of the controlling friction is absorbed by the pressure on the flat backing plate not the rounded surface of the carabiner.

Dave

That pinto spacer almost looks like it was made to fit in there. Let us know how it works out.

Ummm, wouldn't putting a roller in there defeat the function of the friction sharing concept of the HH?
Yes, it would make for smoother tending going up, but when setting back or decending isn't the idea of the stationary carabiner to add friction, thus reducing the load on the hitch?
The original bugaboo of decending SRT on only a hitch...too much friction and too much load, hence the invention of the RW and the HH...?

Fiona, I'm guessing that the action of the carabiner pinching the rope against the back plate of the HH provides more resistance than the friction does.

Adam, aren't you the one that has a rope hanging in your living room? Put this on there and let us know if it works!

Fiona, I'm guessing that the action of the carabiner pinching the rope against the back plate of the HH provides more resistance than the friction does.

Adam, aren't you the one that has a rope hanging in your living room? Put this on there and let us know if it works!

Yup! Just got home. I tried it out about a dozen times inside this morning. You're right about the downward force. The weight of the climber appears to keep the roller stationary. Appears being the key word there. :)

I'll low and slow it sometime for real in the next week. It was tough to tell if there was any difference in tending friction without actually moving around in a tree.

Adam, what are you trying to achieve by doing this?? The only thing I can see is reduce wear on the biner . As we have already discussed the tending problem is the hitch not the bend radius of the biner.......

A little less drag on the biner when it's unloaded is all. I'm not going to go posting around everywhere telling people to try it out. I do understand that the consistent friction of the biner is very important in the function of the HH.

I'm new to the site, and VERY nearly just as new to SRT. The Hitch Hiker is the reason I found this sight, was trying to find information on it, reviews etc. I stumbled onto a video on You Tube(Jamie's?)and I could see right away the advantages of using it for tree work. I'm "tweaking" the set up he showed in the video and I love it! Still trying to sort out the length of the foot loop, which way is best to advance the HH, etc, etc. I learned to climb 5 years ago using DRT(DdRT?). I have a climb rope set in my basement but the "ceiling" is only 8ft high so I can't do a whole lot of "climbing" but, enough to "sort out" the major stuff. I have had the opportunity to do a couple of climbs in my backyard(did some dead wood pruning while I was in the tree ;)). A 60ft climb in an Oak and a 70ft climb in an Ash. The HH worked great. But, as I said, still working out some things to try to get the ascending to go a bit smoother/easier.

.....60ft up the Oak, didn't know I was on that small branch 'til I got up there.....
attachment.php

IMG_6960.jpg

.....70ft up the Ash, moon shot.....
IMG_6979 - Copy.jpg
IMG_6969 - Copy.jpg

Don't quite get the posting pictures thing, bear with me. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 89
Back