The Official Work Pictures Thread

Freedom Fries, got it!

I don't follow the camera position suggestion, Nick. Are you saying attach the camera to the limb, pointed back at the trunk, then cut said limb off?

That would be pretty cool, although you would want a rigging point away from the trunk. What I was thinking was attach the camera to the limb, pointed back at the trunk, then cut a different limb. With the wide angle of the Hero you wouldnt be limited to setting it for just one piece in a lot cases.

So often in treework vids its either 'ground-up' video or helmet cam video. I like the idea of placing the camera out on a branch and capturing the action from a 'squirrels eye view'. I have tried doing this with the Sidewinder and HitchHiker videos with varied success. The only time you see this type of camera work though is with an actual camera man (drinking buddy) and its usually product reviews or promotions. I havent seen anybody use that kind of angle on a take down.

I also really like the top down view I use in some of my pruning videos.

What you did really, that I have not been able to do was integrate the multiple angles (other than Corvette>smart car correlation between our editing machines!). I am sure as you do more of these and acquire more equipment it will get even better.

Great stuff guys. Now just get some angles from way out on a branch looking laterally at the work and work that in. Cant wait to see the copter footage!

Scott, you got some moxie climbing that bad boy! No other TIP huh?

No, no other TIP available. The only way one could have been rigged would have been a high-line strung between two adjacent trees, but not worth it to me.

That would be pretty cool, although you would want a rigging point away from the trunk. What I was thinking was attach the camera to the limb, pointed back at the trunk, then cut a different limb. With the wide angle of the Hero you wouldnt be limited to setting it for just one piece in a lot cases.

So often in treework vids its either 'ground-up' video or helmet cam video. I like the idea of placing the camera out on a branch and capturing the action from a 'squirrels eye view'. I have tried doing this with the Sidewinder and HitchHiker videos with varied success. The only time you see this type of camera work though is with an actual camera man (drinking buddy) and its usually product reviews or promotions. I havent seen anybody use that kind of angle on a take down.

I also really like the top down view I use in some of my pruning videos.

What you did really, that I have not been able to do was integrate the multiple angles (other than Corvette>smart car correlation between our editing machines!). I am sure as you do more of these and acquire more equipment it will get even better.

Yeah, that perspective was the intent of the helicopter, although flight time will be fairly limited. Due to that, I figured it would be more useful for action shots. An extended flight time would be nice, but it would be fatiguing for the pilot (me) and expensive. Running dual batteries, I figure I can have 10-12 minutes on station. That would be plenty of time to capture rigging, cutting, and lowering a piece or maybe two. Or cutting a top out, or a whole tree or even a spar coming down. There are lots of options, although it can't overly get in the way of production.

I was at the local Radio Shack the other day doing some Christmas shopping and spotted this Parrot AR Drone 2.0 helicopter.
$350 for it which I could tax write off for the tree service. Would be handy doing aerial inspections of the tree etc. Controlled by my I phone8)

What do you guys think?
ardrone2.parrot.com/

I looked at that when I got my iPad last yr. Everything I've read says that it is fragile and expensive to fix. Of course if you can fly it well enough, then who needs to fix it?

I like the rotors being protected by the 360 ring on the 2 model. Should be able to get right into the tree's canopy and lightly bump around if I have to.

The AR drone's camera is going to suck, maybe worse. Anything cheap is going to be something cheap.

That last picture is pretty cool!

Sweet pictures Dylan. How do you like those Ansell gloves? We have been using those the last 4 years and really like them when it gets cold.

Yes there are better thermal gloves out there Dylan, Ansell powerflex makes a better summer glove [blue/grey] . Sherril sells a nice blue thermal glove.
In my neck of the woods 1 trigger finger leather mitts are warmer and still offer good grip, when it gets close to minus-30C I install the wool 1 finger mitt liners.
Remember this pic from a few yrs ago with me wearing these Ansell thermals?

SDC11959.jpg

Carl, you really think that having all those camera angles. etc., is going to bring in more work? If it is enjoyment for you, I'm not putting it down, but I'm skeptical beyond a certain point regarding potential customers being so impressed. Basically seeing that you can do the work, is more really needed? I think that no matter how you show it, most folks don't know what they are looking at. Not saying that Scott isn't photogenic either. Guess it can't hurt...

P1020431.JPG P1020421.JPG P1020433.JPG

Been working on the Staghorn beetle reintroduction programme lately.

In order to provide plenty of dead wood/dying trees for them to live on, we ringed about 30 mature beech trees. Then we had to find a way to blow the tops out of another dozen.
Since we don't have a cert to allow us to use explosives, we came up with a different approach.
Find trees with codominant tops, place a dyneema rope in both tops, and weaken the junction by sawing into it ( since one is tied into one of the tops, that is kinda scary!) and rip the tree apart with a skidder winch.
Works fine, and leaves a very natural looking result, which is what the Forest service wanted:)
Now in a couple of years, they can release a bunch of beetles and we'll see if they like it here.

The reason I haven't been posting much lately is we got swamped in logging.
Got a last minute call for a double delivery of logs, and ended up having to just fell 200 trees, cut the logs and leave the tops to be bucked later. Had a skidder growling and snapping at our heels the whole time.
Just managed to finish in time, then the snow hit!
Made my little sequoia feel like it was home in Stephen land, but also meant that we had to use a blower to clear the tops so we could buck them.Very cumbersome and definitely NOT the way to make money from logging!

After busting ass like this, it'll be nice to take some time off between solstice and new years eve. I need some R&R.
Richard has left for South Africa, to celebrate his fater's 60 years birthday. Sitting in the shade, 90 degrees, cold drink in hand, watching the elphants right now.
Not fair:cry:

P1020415.JPG P1020418.JPG

Back