Page 2354 of 2455 FirstFirst ... 1354185422542304234423522353235423552356236424042454 ... LastLast
Results 23,531 to 23,540 of 24542

Thread: The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yeah, makes sense, Rich. A 2' long piece of wood can be a pita but on most of my jobs it works out ok, so I cut most of mine a bit high. And then I can flush the stump and still keep chain sharp using the 'cutting mud 'technique

Edit: Yes, exactly right, Sean.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Back to my cracked tree...I have sourced a 3'6" auger drill bit...I can get 1/2" or 3/4"...which would you recommend?
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Fi, what size rod do you have? I use a 3/4" bit for 5/8" eye bolts. I think a 1/2" bit that long would be easy to break or bend.
    -Brian

This is Not my forte.

I bet if sharp, and used well, with the scaffolding available (picnic tables), 1/2" bits would work. Would they normally sell them that long if bendy/ breaky? Start with shorter, if you want/ can, and go up to 42".

1/2" rod calls for (as usual, 1/16 or 1/8" larger bit) 9/16th or 5/8" bit, per BMPs.
    I've only got one bit for 1/2" rod, and IDK the size.

The 3/4 is a lot more volume, over double, but won't break.

How many rods?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Going with the 3/4, hubby is happy means he gets a new drill out of this too.
    We had some 1/2 rod, but decided to go bigger.
    The drill bits are made once you order them...they have one even longer, 5'3", thought that might be overkill!
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

When I had a couple cabling jobs come up this year fir the first time in several years, I used it as an excuse to buy myself this cordless drill. Believe it or not it has plenty of power to do the job and enough torque to mess your wrists up when the bit binds. Still a lot easier than using a corded drill.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DR90NA2...tit_nw_mr?th=1
    -Brian

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

It looks top of the line.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Cordless tools are amazing these days. I get lots of mileage from my Rigid drill and impact driver.
    Gary

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

One day the pwr source will be a tiny chip you plug in with a microscopic piece of uranium powering it for years.

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

Not to start any power tool flame war, but here's a true story: I have access to both a DeWalt 20V XR set and a Milwaukee 18V set. I had to epoxy set some anchors into the basement foundation rock walls in order to cinch the side deck's ledger board to the house. So hammer drill time -- since I had access to both, I started with the DeWalt and it was slow going, even with a friend prying a 2x4 against the back of the drill to give it some good back pressure into the rock. DeWalt was smoking hot and the battery wore down quickly. The Milwaukee hammer drill did the job with obviously more torque, overall power, and less heat generation. And it's battery lasted through 2 more anchor holes (3 total).