The Official Work Pictures Thread

On your salami cut, I see a tear on the bottom side, what happened?
I don't remember exactly now, but I think I was at the end of my reach (in a bucket). Couldn't get an under cut in, and the bar (24") was nearly the diameter of the wood...I think it started to go, so I left! Kind of a temporary risk mitigation hack n slash job, we will probably take a couple few more feet off in the fall. If I was doing a proper prune I would have repositioned the lift or something to make it clean, or recut that nub (which is what will happen later anyway). I see tears on trees all over town from the local uneducated dont give a rip guys and it makes me cringe. Never mind the stumps that make my eyes cross and my head hurt.

Had the biggest cluster of storm debris I ever worked on. The root plate of eight trees (up to 20” dbh as well as tops were all horizontal and interconnected with various vines. All was laying on a vehicle (gonna get towed to scrap yard) and extremely close and or over neighbors fence and shed. Lots of rope pulling and pole saw work. No large trees to tie into to get on top of the mess. I’ve fallen in between 2 stems and been folded with my knees nearly to my forehead and butt still 2’ off the ground. Pictures don’t do it justice. The pile is over 100’ and 1/3 of it is on maybe a 35* slope which is part of the reason all these locust’s blew down- erosion and root failure. Add Ivy for extra sailing capacity and weight…..

Attachments

• IMG_6375.jpeg
    IMG_6375.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6133.jpeg
    IMG_6133.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Bittersweet's the worst. It locks everything together in a massive clump, and takes multiple cuts to free every piece. Not to mention the constant tripping over vines and getting tangled...

Had the biggest cluster of storm debris I ever worked on. The root plate of eight trees (up to 20” dbh as well as tops were all horizontal and interconnected with various vines. All was laying on a vehicle (gonna get towed to scrap yard) and extremely close and or over neighbors fence and shed. Lots of rope pulling and pole saw work. No large trees to tie into to get on top of the mess. I’ve fallen in between 2 stems and been folded with my knees nearly to my forehead and butt still 2’ off the ground. Pictures don’t do it justice. The pile is over 100’ and 1/3 of it is on maybe a 35* slope which is part of the reason all these locust’s blew down- erosion and root failure. Add Ivy for extra sailing capacity and weight…..
Good firewood

Bittersweet's the worst. It locks everything together in a massive clump, and takes multiple cuts to free every piece. Not to mention the constant tripping over vines and getting tangled...
There was bittersweet, wild grape, English Ivy, another one I didn’t recognize, and a little poison Ivy further back. Crazy. I’m going to be taking down most of those locusts back there. He wants to protect his century old barn.

Virginia creeper's pretty common. Five leaves, climbs high with time, not too hard to deal with. It's pretty good as far as vines go.
That’s it!! Virginia creeper!! Thanks for increasing my vine knowledge.

I pulled a 40’ x 14” top that was hanging off its trunk and the darned vines had that thing suspended (it was perpendicular to the trunk and horizontal due to falling up a steep grade.

I did get some benefits from the vines. I could block firewood pieces and the vine would hold it. Then, cut the vine to drop it in a more controlled manner. Also acted and handrails on the steep grade.

The vines were 98% a pain and 2% useful.

Sometimes I get paid to go to some amazing places. A young couple is currently visiting from Montana to check the area out to see if they want to possibly transfer here. I took them up the Stikine river where we have a lot of recreation cabins we rent and maintain.

Here's a few scenery pictures of the day featuring Castle mountain, Shakes lake, and Shakes glacier.
IMG_20230828_123248_HDR.jpg IMG_20230828_114038_HDR.jpg IMG_20230828_124931_HDR.jpg

It was a great day without any boat drama or hitting rocks and sandbars. I count it as a win.

The couple are still processing what they saw. 😄 I didn't realize it was their anniversary today until they mentioned it when we got back.

Back