The Official Work Pictures Thread

Minus -40C this morning with the wind [-40C -40F are the same temp]. It's gonna stay like this into next week. In my diesel pickup I run synthetic 5/40 engine oil and keep the block heater plugged in over night.

Wilbur, what gloves keep your hands warm enough at those temps? A friend that rides a motorcycle brought over a new pair of battery powered gloves to show me. Three heat settings, quickly very warm, and after a few minutes on high, they auto switch to med warm. They are actually a thin inner glove and very flexible, so you can put any kind of regular glove over them, help keep the inner gloves from damage and help to stay clean. OK in the wet as well, some type of carbon stainless wiring, I believe. They come with a rechargeable battery set up, and the single battery tucks into a pocket on the outside of your wrist and doesn't get in the way. Five hours or more at low heat before needing to recharge. They seem real good, but I question how the wires would hold up under hard work and chainsawing? They seem to be mostly directing the gloves to bike riders.

Heated handles are the thing, Jay. For saws and motorcycles, both.

At negative twenty... if I was going somewhere every day I would leave my truck running unless it was in a heated garage.

We start the Big Green trucks every day at 6:30am and dont shut them off for anything, ever, until the end of the day back at the yard. They stay running in the street or driveway with the heat or AC on all day long. The only thing we shut em off for is if we have to pull the keys out if we forgot to unlock a box, hell we even leave em running at the fuel pump!

I thought it was strange at first, but since they are not my trucks and I am not in charge I dont really care.

That makes the people that only leave their cars running when in the post office, seem like conservationists.

We've had neg 20 the past couple of nights too. Tough on vehicles starting. Have to keep my truck plugged in...need to replace glow plugs. Soon...

In order to is my Maxmobil confidently felt at subzero temperatures, I installed Webasto Thermo Top E 4.2 kW, heated fuel filter, battery ABX AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) 100 Ah. My car sure starting even at -30*C ... 078.jpg

Ground freeze up over your way yet Stig?

Yes, finally.

We've had an unseasonal lot of heat, like +50 degrees.

Wallowing in mud takes the fun out of logging, real fast.

About a week ago it finally changed, so now the ground is frozen and covered in a bit of snow.

I love it:D

The company I logged for missed 100 days of work 2 years ago because of mud. That's actually what forced me to return to being in business for myself.

Willard, what gloves keep your hands warm enough at those temps?
Husqvarna leather mitts with trigger finger on right hand mitt and wool liners. Mitts are warmer then gloves by a long shot because your fingers [except trigger finger] are not seperated. Your hands are warmer because your finger being together in the mitts share body heat. I can go alot further into cold temps without the wool liners because of this fact.
My wool liners have only a thumb on the left hand to match the mitt and the right hand has a thumb and index trigger finger. Back in the day I could work in -40 and never get cold hands.
Never owned a saw with heated handles [only heated carb] The one heated handle saw I did try was a PITA because snow would melt between my hand and the handles, and then with our cold temps the handles would freeze up with a layer of ice when the saw is put down for a minute or two.

Number 1 of 3 on adjacent properties. There will be a fourth sooner than later as another is browning.
Wraptor came in handy and allowed me to help Rob with clean up between the second and thrid sections dropped.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xFDwm50GNms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We start the Big Green trucks every day at 6:30am and dont shut them off for anything, ever, until the end of the day back at the yard. They stay running in the street or driveway with the heat or AC on all day long. The only thing we shut em off for is if we have to pull the keys out if we forgot to unlock a box, hell we even leave em running at the fuel pump!

I thought it was strange at first, but since they are not my trucks and I am not in charge I dont really care.

I used to do that when I ran a bucket truck in the winter. Some little university wannabe tree-hugger chick asked if it was necessary while her boyfriend stared at his shoes and I gave her some line about the diesel gelling up if I shut it off. I mainly just wanted a place to stay warm.

Webasto is hard to beat.
We have one in all our company vehicles.
My wife's little VW Polo even has one.

Oops!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yFyA_hqwl08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, 3 props, 1 arm. It'll take under 10 minutes to fix. It'll take longer to clean out the clay based mud it came down in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you keep it from going out of range, and what happens when you do? Does it crash? Fly off?

What IS it's range?

Back