The Official Work Pictures Thread

With a little dutchy swing to the left ;)

I'd say to the right if anything, but the fibers on the right look compressed to me, not cut.

I was thinking the same thing but it's hard to tell for sure from the photo

I was baffled by the hinge. The fibers look cut but I didn't cut them. The bar was long enough to go through the tree and that was the side I dogged up on making the notch.

Some pics of yesterday's tree. A builder hired me to cut several trees on a lot where he is going to build a spec house. I rigged and flopped several a few weeks ago, but put this one off due to its heavy lean. This is Google Earth's street view, and is several years old, as well as a winter pic, so no foliage is seen. The tree leaned very heavily over the neighbor's house, with nothing but the one little uppermost limb on the backside.
iH7IYEn.jpg

I set lines and went up at around 8:30, with the intention of getting it topped back to somewhere in the area of the red lines below.

2TLUVj8.jpg

Rigged up a 4:1 with the Boxer, and had the builder pulling with his loader on a second line for speed, and we tipped it right over.

EDIT: I meant a bit under FOUR hours! I started to say "about 3-1/2 hours" but decided to just say a bit under four....and typed three.....:|:

Thanks fellas I'm very fortunate to have a great team to work with. And also big thanks to August hunickie and Jerry Beranek for sharing their knowledge. If not for them I wouldn't be where I am today. We have a saying at work, what would August or Jerry do. I'll post more pics working on the go pro

Stuff we been doin'....
Dead trees and pruning on a steep, loose soils slope; with limited, bad access, up hill from a multi level house. One guy they hired broke his ankle up there. So, we are trying to out smart it. Saw just enough window for a high lead yarding set up. Had to go under the service though .... Pretty much landing the brash at the chipper.
IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0327.jpg IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0322.jpg IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0320.jpg received_2476049862631007.jpg received_404943193767436.jpg received_683274365500320.jpg received_521762315325394.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MXmd5G9gOug" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a 12" chipper MB. The road is so bad and steep getting in there, I did not want to trash my truck, tires and transmission getting it in and out. Little chipper gets in easy and is easy to move around down in there. I almost tipped a 50' lift over roaring it down into his place the ruts were so bad. Road and driveway.

Cool! There is definitely a place in any treeco for a tiny chipper, just like a tiny stump grinder! They will always come in handy!!!

At thie risk of sounding stupid... How does that system work? Best I can make out... You winch it downhill and belay on the porty. The winch keeps the load against the pulley. When you reach the desired location, you tie off on the porty, and reverse the winch to lower the load?

He has 3 lines, a skyline to hold the load up, which is in this case tensioned and tied off. A haulback line, tied to the pulley (carriage) on the skyline, with another pulley below it and belayed on the portawrap up top where the debris to be moved is. Finally the mainline, which goes through the bottom pulley and clips to the load. The pulleys are positioned roughly above the load, and the mainline is pulled out and tied on the log. When he comes up on the mainline, the load goes up to the pulley. By easing off the haulback line, the load will creep down the skyline, but if he lowers it too much the load will hit the ground, so he has to pay close attention to the height. When the load is at the landing they simply slack the mainline.

Thanks Kyle. Nice setup there. I might try something like that to get a locust log out of the woods at work if I ever get free time again. It would make it more complicated than necessary, but it would give me a chance to set it up with hands on experience. I was gonna drag it out with a redirect or two, but this is more interesting, and the terrain favors this kind of setup.

Back