The Official Work Pictures Thread

Taking down a large walnut. 40C. Could only deal with this one limb. 17" diameter at the cut. Rural property. Neighbours dogs running around in the work zone. Employed a deterent. Dogs stayed away. Everyone stayed away.

20190705_112212.jpg

Made quite a mess on July 4th and 5th. It was a threat to the leaching field and septic tank. It was hot and humid in CT. Helper in the pic for scale. Largest ash so far. mess.jpg Mess 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. We were both fried. 5 gal igloo cooler + a few quarts of ice tea and we both were beat. Despite the heat and humidity, getting stuff done was fun.

The mention of the mill is interesting and on point. I do not have the means to move such big logs or even sliced rounds for the wood splitter but two people and a decent trailer can move 8 foot long slabs all day long. I caught myself daydreaming of a portable saw mill.

Cheapest mills start at $2k Harbor Freight.

Hud-son starts at $2395. About what Stephen/ CursedVoyce has in-house, IIRC.

A ripping chain will be needed to break down logs, for the mill. a chainsaw mill will save wood over freehanding rip cuts. Some wood may split along the grain, well enough.

is there a biz to partner with?

Some mobile mills will split lumber 50/50.

I have some deodora cedars to take down tomorrow after driving my kid to camp at 9. I'm driving out in a one-ton and 12' tandem axle trailer, with a stump grinder. Local start-up in town, no real minimum, is bringing a HF/ Central Machinery mill. Another customer has one. Haven't seen them in use. I'll step above HF for mine.

I have a bunch of fir and cedar to take down all the time. IF this guy works out, I'll split with him onsite for out-building/ kid's clubhouse material until I get my own bandsaw mill. Three big firs will have to be drug down to the neighbor's house, unless I want them.

We have two mills. The one Sean describes is our band mill, a Woodland ., that will mill up to about 20" it stays stationary at home and some day might be fitted to a trailer. Our other mill is a Lucas, way more portable and sets up over the log.
It will mill up to an 8x8 can't almost 20 foot long in its current configuration. If you could find someone local that has one.....

Didn't know you had a Lucas.

NICE!

Do you know the slabber attachment cost, on top of the mill?

I'm debating between different types. The Lucas looks sweet, too.

I'll get Rob to remind me the price. But he confirmed it attaches to his gear box. So like imagine stabbing a 5 foot log.
Called him. He goes through Bailey's, stabbing attachment will run just under 2k on top of the mill price.

That’s a good sized ash. Nice job.
It could make some beautiful lumber. Although it is well sought after by hobby wood workers in my area there is no real market. When we hail to a mill the payout basically covers trucking plus a few bucks. There is a sterilization process that the mills have to go through to make it sellable. At least that’s what I get told. CV would probably know a bit about that with all those beetle kill pines. We have to have a full log truck load to even get them hauled anymore.

One of our local companies charges 15-1800 per load out.
Beetle kill logs stay in county. Unless processed for bio fuel or mill.
Beetles don't take well to being chipped or milled. :lol:
Ash might be a whole nutter matter.
We don't have any documented cases of SOD here either, so oak can move pretty freely.

Quarantined species need to be kiln dried and you need to obtain a USDA certificate of sterility to transport into a nonquarantined county. That goes for lumber and firewood here in wisco.

I was wondering if solar kilns will be hot enough to kill bugs in slabs.

Firewood, I bet you could get it hot enough, seasonally, without much difficulty, slabs can get too much, too quickly.

I'm starting to get the solar kiln gears turning.

A firewood solar kiln hoop house make a lot of sense to me, since I have the room. Any wood put up closer to burning time can be stacked on pallets and covered with a hoop house. Moved on the pallet later.

I always have enough firewood, personally, but last year we had unprecedented snow, and cold...heat pumps were having trouble keeping up, and there is always someone whose furnace craps out from being overworked. Somehow I have lots of wood.

Wonder if a solar kiln would be effective enough to dry rounds. I don't want to split/ pay to have split, extra green rounds, when dry rounds are so much lighter.

My friend built his GF a greenhouse, as she lived in Vegas a long time, and him in Truckee. Being outside in the winter without worrying about cold and wet is good. I think I'll maybe put up another hoop house just for outdoor work/ lounging space. People can get cabin-fever in the PNW.

I was thinking that offering the "mill your tree" as an option on quote sheet would be great. In the case of this job, the client is ok with the trunk laying on the side of the property. I gave an option to cut it in 18" long slices but no one would have picked up up such heavy pieces for firewood. I have split onsite for other jobs but it means staying in the client's yard for hours.

Milling has grown for me. Plenty of tree co will leave logs, custys most of the time have friends who want the log slabbed. There is enough times a custy will only want a board or two, and I can keep the rest.

I am booked up for milling, and I have a few logs sittibg around waiting for me to mill them for myself. Only problem is "gettin, it dun!"

Back