The Official Work Pictures Thread

Just to bump this thread!
Lil norfolk trim
66ecbcd702ea71527cd5be7103fb9c65.jpg
8c8bd1242d3927cab68cebb2fdc12bb2.jpg
never thinned one before,thought it was a stupid idea even as i was doing it....

Lil norfolk trim never thinned one before,thought it was a stupid idea even as i was doing it....

It will be interesting to see if it sends out new shoots from where you cut out the old branches...After every hurricane in Bermuda, the Norfolks re-sprout from where the branches broke off.

It's not really worth selling, I'd get about $15k for it, worth sitting on, even if I pull the boom and use as chip truck some day

That sucks with the frosted thawing/frozen mud Stephen,pretty cool to be climbing amongst old friends er whatnot. I too love me some HH action 👍 crazy about all the carb compliance y'all gotta conform to.

Uk Rich! Nice work on that funked sycamore bro! Slippery when wet no doubt,props mang👍👊🤘

Fiona,love seeing your pictures,awesome shots,excellent work. Chick up the tree with the chainsaw (y) I love it!

Sam in da snow killin em! Rock on brother 🤘🤘🤘

Ohio Rich the mudman,lol,is the plywood run just for the muddiest of spots or was that just all ya had? It does kinda look like fun!

I did that star pine,almost seems like there are different types but idk.
b6cb765d0237806c85969f3d83e08fd0.jpg
80720fcb2009fd23a0acf30a4c0945cf.jpg
b994d1e3cfe9cf25bb94501ef018320b.jpg
bfa6af4bf18a84d209ab8fec5ec6513b.jpg
8963cb4a10c55391d53dae4857a2175e.jpg
ac06abdc4961e1c7a493586e5fa8bb1a.jpg
aproxx 65'ish. Wasn't too sticky,only got a blob of sap on my gaff haha,it does have a thick milky sap but hardly flowing in the "winter" time.

No,fan palms and certain eucs are the exception,sometimes I will do removals w/out the gaffs(varying sizes even,not just small ones)

Do you ?

That looks like a pretty thorough prune. Like basal prune.

😂👍 you bet,idk where the gaff wearing question spurred from but that was obviously a removal on that norfolk pine.

Why were ya asking Jomo?(if you don't mind my asking)

How do you go about never gaffing euc trims? You got me stumped

Ask Magargal Sam, he's got photos of me pruning a 150 foot euc in Balboa Park's Japanese Gardens. Those photos should be part of the Union Tribune's archives as well, since Magargal was hamming it up with one of their women photographers at the time, right next to me in a crane basket 150 feet up.

Foot locking Sam, foot locking great distances.

Jomo

Lil norfolk trim
66ecbcd702ea71527cd5be7103fb9c65.jpg
8c8bd1242d3927cab68cebb2fdc12bb2.jpg
never thinned one before,thought it was a stupid idea even as i was doing it....

I guess it was this post that fooled me into thinking you gaffed your prunes Sam.

Jomo

What does that type of thinning achieve? Does it just reduce the debris and shade? Make it more/ less windfirm?

Wind thinning, spiral pruning, windsailing pruning are common terms for what some people do up here in the PNW. Doesn't seem to prove out up here as useful for wind-firmness, unless maybe in the case of new wind exposure, like a new development clearing adjacent forest.

We were called in Wednesday by the parks service to help pull some brother arbs out of the bight. The brother who got hung-up (who shall--here, and for the moment--remain unnamed) basically stretched his bucket all the way out, in order to poke out a little Arbutus top through a Fir and a Maple, when he decided that he'd better go down fer his climb-gear in order to monkey-up the Maple a bit to free-up a few limb-binds. (We're thinkin he somehow missed one. I'm gonna call him and figure it out when his body--he's gonna be just fine... ruptured spleen and a coupla broken ribs-- and his ego,which sometimes takes a lot longer in my humble experience, heal-up a bit.)

Anyways... he tied-into the Maple, freed-up the limbs, but then got back into the bucket :? in order to bust-out the Arbutus top. Arbutus is stinkin HEAVY. He was probably worried about the stem-backlash once he uncorked the top (as I was saying... the bucket was streched out all the way to 60', and when we got there, there was a 30' stinkin Arbutus top laying on the ground... that was one stretchy, little Madrona.) and he figured it would probably be a good idea to stay tied into the Maple :? in case the Arb. stem decided to rock the bucket too hard. (I know, I know... :?) He then cut the Arb. top which hooked the Maple top he was tied-into which, while falling out of the sky, hooked the Arb. stem, which miraculously saved his life although rag-dolling him to within an inch of it. He somehow (This guy is a MAN... I'm tellin ya right now.) managed to extract his spider webbed climb-line from the whole mess, in order to decend (dDrt, I'm thinkin) to the ground, in order to call his wife who lived right there in Normandy Park, only a few miles from where he was working. She drove him to Harbour View Hosp. where he stayed for only two days.

The thing is... the stinkin Maple top had slid down the Arbutus stem into the bucket (it wasn't even that goofed-up... just tilted a bit) so that the gents with the Parks Service couldn't lower the boom without risking sliding the whole Maple top into the truck. My job was just to monkey up the Fir, swing over to the mess, and secure the Maple top to the Arbutus stem so that the boys could lower the boom and get the truck out of the way, so that I could just trash the whole mess into the woods... pretty easy... took about three hours.

The big temptation is to regard the guy who did it as a Jackwagon (Jim's) who didn't know what the heck he was doing, and just move on; but here, this is clearly not the case. I looked up the company's website which was printed on the side of the truck next to his ISA Cert. Arb. #, and found what seemed to be an very concientious owner/op. who was likely to have had a good deal of experience in tree-work. He's got an entire paragaraph dedicated to, "Why Hire a Certified Arborist?" The first thing I did when I swung over from the Fir to the mess was to get into the bucket in order to inspect his chain filin'. He had a 192t, (I know... I know...) his top-plate angles were bang-on even if he left a ton too much gullet (for my taste) in his side plates. He also had a really nice, brand-new, bright orange, small diameter (I'm bad with brands and makes) riggin line and biner hanging from the stem. More importantly: He had left a really nice little strip of holding-wood across the Arbutus stem.

My crappy flip-phone pics--sorry gents--don't do the guy's predicament justice. These were some TALL stinkin trees. I measured the Fir (for Reg) off of my 200' climb-line at 130', so the Maple would also have been hugeish. The Arbutus would have been around 90'.

View attachment 76540View attachment 76541View attachment 76542View attachment 76543

Sorry gents... messed it up... here's the (kinda crappy) pics...

Oops... Sumthins messed up. I'll dig em outa my downloads again...

Back