The Official Work Pictures Thread

Stig: A job to remember. Hugest trees I've ever seen. Awsome shots too btw.

Joel: Time to take the little lady out to dinner brotha. They can only take so much. Sick hinge btw. Why do you gut em? I like that homemade blunt wedge.

Williard: With that kind of scratch in the bank who cares? "Let it snow..." (Bing Crosby)

Rich another big fat beauty. Saved out the backstraps I hope.

Look at this pig. Epiphytes included but were not limited to: one Plumb tree, and one patch of lawn grass. Pretty cool tree to climb. Just knocked out the deadwood.

unnamed-738.jpg unnamed-739.jpg unnamed-737.jpg

Crazy weather there Willard.
Stig, you don't realize how big some of those trees are until a picture comes up with you in it! HUGE!

I played glorified hedge trimmer today, cutting back overgrown hedge tops and storm damaged Fiddlewood tops from the bucket truck...

I know that stuff is boring Bermy but it still pays. I spent the day cutting scrub brush on a ditch embankment. Mentally it's easy money. Just the drudgery of it is miserable.
Jed that is on cool looking tree!

Strange to see that much light that late. What is your latitude?

This maple was alive last year, but struggling. We had a hot, drought last summer.
There were a few green leaves this year, and a few vertical cracks in the base, plus a bad inclusion.
This is the one with the trucker's strap for the inclusion from Paul's Tree Service.:whine:

Unfortunately, I underbid it some. Hard to tell when there are rookies on the ground. They did a good job. Green. Have a new guy starting tomorrow who is looking for full time in the summer, after school ends. A year's experience in Seattle. A little climbing DDRT on a VT experience. One of the green guys only can work for a few weekends until school ends. Works out.

Wraptor, APTA, Belay Spool were handy, and the mini. I didn't want the rookie groundies on a POW and block. IMG_20160512_152754221_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20160507_125656146_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20160508_135821936[1].jpg IMG_20160508_135853587[1].jpg IMG_20160512_160938418_HDR[1].jpg

Free dropped some big brushy pieces onto the asphalt. Roped a lot of brush down. Reminded that Western Red Cedars are velcro-trees. MFs grab onto everything, like dead maple branches on a rope! A bit of speed lining. Then dumped chunks into a tight drainage swale, all things considered. The road is a bit rough, and the end of the asphalt was only a hair rougher by the end. Had a bit of a dirt crash area for the more upright leader.

Almost cratered the road with one on the leaning stem. I needed to bring to back and sideways, and naturally it was leaning away from me over the road. I cut it a little too big, and with the moss and non-90 degree lip, I almost lost it. I had resigned myself to it, mentally, then gave it one big rocking pull toward me, and dumped it to the side. Should have cut it smaller. I burnt up my 28" sprocket, and haven't replaced it, so was chunking down with a 20" that was a bit short, so I was going a bit larger than I should have, especially for the swale.

All's well that fells well.

A couple bat boxes on a wildlife habitat snag, about 16' tall.

In hindsight, a crane would have been in order. I bid it last year. Been super busy. Just jumped into it, and tried to reduce rigging loading, and such.

Strange to see that much light that late. What is your latitude?

This maple was alive last year, but struggling. We had a hot, drought last summer.

Any further north I'd be in the tundra Sean. Days get longer in June here, up to 22 hours of daylight and the sunset and sunrise merge together.....kinda weird.
When I had employees years ago working up here we were putting in 16-18 hour days for 4 days straight.

Look like you got your work cut out for you with that old maple. Sounds complicated how you explained your plan of action.
Funny to hear about a bidding process, I never had to do that in all my life.
No one to bid against:)

The road is a bit rough, and the end of the asphalt was only a hair rougher by the end.

:lol: HA, ha, ha. Man, I know the feelin. Lately I've been putting plywood over the blacktop and just dumping the world onto it. Haven't broken (Flat! Please God, flat!) any blacktop that way yet.

Nice Maple, Sean. Super tall one apparently.

Forest drops with not a target in sight:lol:
Sorry Stig I just couldn't resist........

Silly me................taking pictures of the trees instead of the targets.
You don't think they spend good money topping hazard trees that stand alone in the forest, do you.
These were near camp sites, a playground a forest nursery and countless roads and trails.
Sure a lot of them could just be bombed, but there were quite a few that had to be placed carefully or winched in order to go the way they were supposed to.
The SENAs ROCK for that. I used to absolutely HATE taking tops out with a large winch, when all was done by hand signals.
The reason the State forest service pay to have them topped instead of simply felled is that they have been whacked over the nose by the EU for not leaving enough dead wood to decay, which has put some species on the red list.
So they do it this way to remedy that a bit.
Personally I think it is mainly for show. They can point at the standing dead logs and tell how they paid somebody to do that for the benefit of the bugs and fungae.

image.jpg
Quick solo job after work. Strip them down and drop the spars later. The 80 year old man does the clean up. He told me it gives him something to do.

How'd you meet this old-timer, Rich? Man, I hope I can still get er like that if I have the misfortune of living that long. Sounds like a heck of a guy.

Cottonwood, of course. :( I know... I know, Butch... NO STUBS! I'll never believe you're a real Atheist for as much preaching as you do.
unnamed-740.jpg unnamed-741.jpg

Man, we finished up a bit early and had to hide-out for half an hour, and I found these weird Firs.
unnamed-742.jpg

He lives less than a mile from me. It was quick today. He went fishing so I had the place to myself. I have one more dead ash to strip down for him and that'll be it for a while( I hope). It's also on a " when ever you have some spare time" basis.

Jed are you back to climbing on 3 strand again?:lol:

Yeah, what's with the 3 strand?

Half day today, got the tippy top of the big casuarina that I can't reach from the bucket, I wish I could cut 10' off the top...but have to maintain screen for sight lines from the property up the hill. HO is a VIP. came down in time for lunch, today's offering from the property manager was a choice of salmon or chicken salad wraps and a box of cookies...then change and hit the BEACH! Water is lovely. Today was a GOOD day :)

Back