The Official Work Pictures Thread

I was thinking that offering the "mill your tree" as an option on quote sheet would be great. In the case of this job, the client is ok with the trunk laying on the side of the property. I gave an option to cut it in 18" long slices but no one would have picked up up such heavy pieces for firewood. I have split onsite for other jobs but it means staying in the client's yard for hours.
We succeed with this all the time. You balance it out for the customer addicted to firewood. Firewood out of little stuff and mill slash. Look, here is a couple mill logs that could be cabinets, tables, shelving, flooring.... pennies on the dollar while your mill pays for itself. Just how you sell it.

Some befores and a couple of almost done pics. Mistletoe prune. I work on and off on their trees since it is a vacation rental. Put 5 hours in. I wrap it up next week after guests leave. Just small windows of opportunity. I know it looks pretty stripped. Told the HO about a 50/50 chance it will live. My gawd the crap that is coming out of this one. :|:

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 46
True, in my formative tree climbing years I spent lots of time performing complete deadwoods in gardens in London.
Every little bit...

Hedges are the worst.

Yup. Once established hedges were the first service to be dropped. Here they are quite common and some pretty low risk bucket work on some of the huge ones. But still, so boring you'd think about jumping after awhile.

I really don't get what you guys have against hedges?

We don't do single hedges at private properties much.

Mostly graveyards and large industrial properties, railroad stations , parking lots etc.

We have worked out a setup where each of does a part of the work, like the short guy does lower sides, tall guy does higher sides and tops and the guy on articulated stilts does all the tall stuff.
We NEVER use ladders.
Whoever finishes first, starts cleanup.

Being fast, we make good money at it.

Also, Looking at a graveyard/ Churchyard afterwards, with everything nice and straight, with sharp edges, is very satisfactory.

I do miss the woods, though, when doing hedges.

Boring as f-ck. that's the problem I had with them. Yes they do look good when done......but that is fleeting and a small moment of satisfaction for the hours of endured slave labor.

Articulated stilts? I feel like maybe you've mentioned/posted these up before but I can't recall. Got a photo?

Ditto, plus there’s no way of cutting corners like in tree work.

Hard on the shoulders and elbows

Requires attention to detail, which I abhor.

I just never got into it. Not many here and the plants they want hedged look better pruned. I refer them to landscapers.
Shoulders don't like the abuse as well. Never feel like I am doing the plants any favors......
Last couple of request they wanted a lolly pop look (yeah, pretty common) and they were on the edge of a 2-1 plus slope, 12 feet or so high. No thanks.

Yeah, there was a guy on AT called “easyliftguy” who sold those, or something similar.

As I approach my dotage (career wise) I do less and less what I dislike ie. hedges, light reductions and generally non destructive stuff.

I’m more into removals, grinding, and making lots of noise.

My problem is that in order to keep enough guys to keep up with logging demands, I need something for them to do, outside of logging season.

Back