The Official Work Pictures Thread

Well, I have some home work to do:D
I agree with the upright position being easier on the body, but the risk to lose the hold at my feet is a real concern for me (and it seems for a lot people). I can tell what I want to myself about secure grip of the lanyard, no big deal from a slippage... , my body just hates the quick changes in my holding points and stance (rope/limb as-well), even more if that's unexpected of course. We can tell that's a rooky characteristic, and I mostly agree, but I can't see loosing it any time soon.
Maybe with some practice ...:/:

Tbh I can’t understand the debate about angle whilst on the spikes, you surely achieve the ideal position naturally, too upright and you gaff out, lean back too far and you’re too far away and ascending is difficult.

Seems like you two are smarter than the majority, out there on spurs.

EDIT: That came off in a way that I wasn't intending.

I totally agree, it ain't rocket science.

:lol: Sure am glad you clarified that...I was getting all steamed under the collar and all....

Tantrum.jpg

Good catch Stig :LOL:

Luckily the couple times I've gaffed out early in the piece I wasn't very high up, so I learned to adjust my positioning, and/or take a full wrap, or throw another lanyard up higher...keep spikes sharp.
The worst is the person with their butt sticking out while arms are hugging :lol:

Gad, that is painful to watch. I cannot tell you how many times I've pushed with my hand, or swung a lanyard or the tail of a climb line gently into a students' butt that was out of arm's reach to emphasize "get that hiney in and stand upright, son/daughter, like we talked about and I showed you just a few minutes ago" :lol:.

No gaffing these... Deader than.....
Anyway. Dead enough to break off 36" wood and make it harder to clean up than just felling the fuggers.
This one landed on the edge of a little 4' deep creek we DID NOT want to have to extract it from.
So portable winch and parbuckle it was Had some 6" limbs holding the 30',36" taper to 34" log I cut off the butt. Still had to make it smaller for the mini. No wandering in the creek. Best get it to flat good ground. Moved it 30' from the cut.
Fodder.
IMG_0165.jpg IMG_0166.jpg IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0172.jpg
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_mkx6QKAacY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Had to cween it owta all da whittle twees.....
IMG_0175.jpg
Then we got a tree in need of discipline call and performed some tree bondage before the thunderstorms rolled in. Sent the lads home and solo'ed it.
Spank it down in the morning and go back to cleaning up creek sides.
She just had that car port installed too :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 41
Cool to see that done.

Is the guy in a safe spot if the rope breaks at the pull source? In the whip radius (my term...no idea what it is called)?

Would it help to put a blanket/"muffler" on the top line in case of a break?

That is one long leaning pine you guyed off there...good catch.

Awhile back I read about a shackle that broke when a fire truck was helping a tractor out of a mud hole. It was the aftermath of a farming accident. Somebody grabbed a non rated shackle which looked plenty strong. But when the fire truck pulled the tractor the shackle broke at the tractor and the shackle and line went through the fire truck windshield and killed the young firefighter driver.

That is what I was noticing. If the line broke at the winch and shot back towards the tree it looks like to me the yellow shirt guy was in a bad place.

Wasn't terribly concerned under the conditions, but I get your point.
It would be hard pressed for that Capitan to snap that stable braid. When it reaches the machines capacity, it stalls out. No where near the ropes capacity. No shackles on the line. Crane strap around a tree securing the winch 100 feet out at a slight angle. Belay of the parbuckle set up running bowline around a tree trunk at a different slight angle 100 feet out. Parbuckle 3 wraps around tree to move.
Winch says it's rated for a 1500# pull capacity, and I have see it yet pull 1500# of anything with out further mechanical advantage.
You start pulling 2:1 plus with metal objects on the line, yeah, better not have me catch your arse anywhere in a bight or in line with pulling.
Nice thing about a parbuckle is that it acts like a bicycle sprocket. It's a gear ratio. Little capstan exerting a small force to a larger gear turning the wheel, or in this case, a 36dbh log that probably weighed about 5 ton.

Leaner.. Bored the hinge, maybe 1/4 face so shallow.
Never got to trip it... fibers pulled as I was taking the saw out. Made some noise.
Bridged the driveway. Hauled all the wood and chips out. Just had to slide it in the hole between the two other trees.
Best I can say why it leaned like this all of a sudden were a couple factors.
Beetles had attacked the tension wood side, not the compression. This will make it drier and more dead in the tissues on that side.
Transpiration taking place in our higher temps this last week... Most the weight on the compression side of the tree. Started to bend it like a fishing rod.
Fodder.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 32
Just keeping it real. Thanks.
Some Shit broke around here from that work so taking the day OFF (sortof) and delaying this week's job. Mike called in sick and will probably be out all week. I need a third body on that job. Client has delayed my check, so her job just got smaller on my end.
Dingo gets new tracks and a hinge pin. Kids pastor gets a load of chips for his garden project and I get rid of mill slash. Trailer spring shackles on the white dump trailer and fix a left brake/turn wiring issue as well on it. New CARB for a brush cutter.....
90 some odd degrees with 90 percent humidity, this will work avoiding that swamp of a pasture today.

Are you coolvesting it up? Like having portable a/c. I thought about pulling mine out today, but the shade swung around.

I have this one to bid, a solid 5' even dbh. Septic system / construction killed it. The pipe from tanks ( under paver patio) to distribution box is right in front of the tree, possibly over the buttress roots.

The homeowner's a project manager at a wastewater treatment plant. He is of the opinion that if I break the pipe, he'll fix it. That's a first.

IMG_20190613_145053748.jpg

Primaries under the limbs uphill, downhill slope on other side, with the pipe.

IMG_20190613_145100781.jpg IMG_20190613_145053748.jpg

Sucky terrain but manageable.
No cool vest. Cool vest won't help my lungs. High humidity fucks with my asthma bad. That and all the pollen we have right now.
Start early, home by 2

Some project managers understand work, and so are way more lenient because they've actually watched that movie once or twice... not to mention I'm sure if he offers a case of beer to some coworkers the leach field will be better than new. Cool tree Sean, keep em coming!

Back