The Official Work Pictures Thread

Pretty good lookin job there Peter. I can't imagine having to wait for locates just to do the takedown part.

Williard: Do you keep 30 degree chisel top-plates for your ripping saw, or do you go less on em?

View reduction on two Maples again today... had Reg's woes running through my mind all day. Still... one of the nicest rainy days we've ever had. Here's the Fauntleroy Ferry headed out to Vashon Island.

unnamed-767.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-766.jpg
    unnamed-766.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 68
Looks like I could've pushed the rounds onto the grass in the photos, but it was actually too far. Instead I had to trap the ripped sections on some rocks to stop them hitting the retaining wall or asphalt.
G0022226 (1024x768).jpg G0022252 (1024x768).jpg G0043011 (1024x768).jpg TL000355 (1024x768).jpg TL000481 (1024x768).jpg TL000623 (1024x768).jpg

Wow! Multiple pics possible now.

Two previously topped spruce to come out, then grind. I'd been selling this job to the clients every time I went round to do other work, they finally cracked and gave me the ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 71
Haha, no, that's old faithful, been paid off for years.
Guys thought the rearend went out, I'm leaning towards a broken axle.

Hope it's the latter--cheaper if the rear end survives... I've had both happen,and more than once. My truck has a two speed rear end, and the shift mechanism is the bad design of two according to my mech---it has gone out twice, from shifting it improperly--- $3000-4500 each time, iirc.....

Cant get pics to work so well tonight, so, had to do it over several posts. last one
View attachment 70538

So, what's up with the little trees......?!!:lol:

I'm bidding on a young sequoia.... but it is prolly over a truck load of chips, and the last 20-25 feet is big with the typical swelled butts sequoia develop. Right by a road, no crane access, and will have to rip the chunks to get them down..... and either build a wall of already cut rounds, or do a vert speed line, as the small drop zone slopes toward the road...then roll the wood into a roll off container, so little lifting required..... I am going to suggest ringing the tree and waiting till winter to do the whole job, or at least the last 25 feet, to reduce the weight. Green sequoia, this time of year, weighs around 70 pounds per cubic foot!! Heavier than oak or madrone! that's arbutus to you, you new born Canuckian....

Just a couple blocks away, Pat and I are starting a four fir removal job, plus lots of small bushes to remove, tomorrow. Close to 5500 board feet in four trees. Room to drop the two largest butts, which will save us lots on crane fees, as now a 40 ton crane will do the rest..... the radius is 70 feet for the two largest, and now we won't be picked anything over 5000 lb..and for the third largest tree, the radius is about 50 feet, and that butt log will probably be about 8000 lb.

Crane coming Thursday, but we're doing a solitary fir on Wednesday with ACDeucy Crane, which will help fill up the second log truck load. It several miles away, but well worth the appx $100 extra in trucking for the two trips. I'm loving the good fir prices here that the domestic Buse Timber offers, even on 16-24 foot logs, unlike Formark, which primarily exports timber, and wants long logs or pays like poo for shorties...

Sean, I'd say bring your mini up here, but I don't think it could move one of the butt rounds.... a two footer might weigh 3000 lb!

Vigne vierge or vert, a type of grape vine that thrives here, easy to keep out of eaves gutters etc.
Used for decoration on my house as well (and to hide some bad pointing work between the stones)
I planted one yesterday funnily enough to cover an unsightly electricity pylon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 77
Well spotted! I have a chip pile out the back that is years old, I get into it with the tractor and get the most rotten stuff in the middle.
I spread it there to raise the level a bit.

Removing a declining norway maple with a great view today! It was hot hot hot. :thumbup: Took the whole damn tree through the house as normal :)

Attachments

• 13310507_10154037747826815_7428195650156892814_n.jpg
    13310507_10154037747826815_7428195650156892814_n.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 57
Back