The Official Work Pictures Thread

Little bit of our mayhem today. I think I threw 10 or so down, limbed, bucked to 8s & 16s. Some got decked. We'll burn those later. I'll make a couple of gin poles to hoist the logs out from the creek. We have more downstream. 42 trees give or take.

Stephen seeing GOLD in them hills :O

Nice work!!

That's an interesting crashpad!

You're too nice Sean. Take the kid-gloves off dangit... any tree guy worth his salt can see that that pad that I built is the work of an amateur jackass... that is to say... I busted the black-top with that one. :|: Just a hairline crack really, but it ticked me off.

Cory: But that would mean that I had made a mistake, and, of course, my dear sir, that is quite impossible. (Cracked asphalt and tail-gate, aside)... we're talking about stumps here, sir. I cut two beauties today, but some prima donna named Cory had suggested that he had had quit enough of them, which rather took the wind out of my sails. So what did I do? I just left my precious stumps un-pictofied and unpublished; left alone to simply decay in the woods without a trace of their proper glorification, and that is to say nothing of my art-work! Ohhhh, Ohhhh.... Oh my Dear... my good man... the best of this world's art is simply SQUANDERED on pragmatic clods like yourself.

Andre: I gotta agree with Deva, even if the very idea of an, "Iron Curtain," is a hopeless atavism.

Oh come on Jed, we know you got pics! If you don't want to share them with everyone , you got my number. Send them to me. I'm all about the hinge!

Here...this will make Jed's stumps look even better. Worked as a contract climber this week...that sounds real professional! A friend is a building/remodeling type contractor, jack of all trades...has good equipment, big Bobcat, ropes, saws, some rigging gear...but he prefers to stay on the ground. I climbed and topped two middling sized oaks and felled the spars...and helped fell another 70 foot pine and a few other smaller trees. Used my chipper to deal with the brush. He got a roll-off dumpster to handle the pine logs and big limbs we couldn't chip. He kept the hardwood for firewood.

Here's a mess of picts from that work: IMG_20161214_102009143 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161214_102025402 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161214_102032833 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161214_135423572 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161214_135429797 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161214_135444721_HDR RESIZED.jpg

The homeowner asked us to check her white oak near the deck...there was a tornado a few years ago and she thought she saw damage to the tree. We looked from the ground and could not see any...just the usual white oak shaggy/plated bark. She insisted she saw something and when we finally looked close she seemed to be right. I climbed up and found this when I peeled back the bark plates...she had good eyes:

IMG_20161215_094621685 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161215_094640268_HDR RESIZED.jpg

It looked like a big limb had torn out during the tornado. It was CODIT-ing / callusing pretty well but that weakness was on the house side. I topped it, de-limbed and then felled the spar.

IMG_20161215_130239180 RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161215_130340060_HDR RESIZED.jpg IMG_20161215_130346735_HDR RESIZED.jpg

Cmon now Jed. I dig perfect stumps. All I asked is do you cut any imperfect stumps. If the answer is no, then bring on more perfection. If yes, Id like to see what they look like.

I brought this up because yesterday at work I was looking at my stumps which were imperfect but made fairly fast. I was thinking probably only 10% or maybe 20% of my stumps come out perfect. So that made me wonder if you cut any stumps that aren't photo worthy or do you take the time to try to make em all perfect. Or maybe they're all perfect and are also knocked out quickly.

A conversation only a tree guy could love.

That last stump looks pretty good, Gary. Just curious, did you cut both sides with a pulling chain using the bottom of the bar and therefore switching sides of the tree, or did you cut all from one side, partly pulling chain, partly pushing.

Or, option 3, all one side of tree, all pulling chain, using a full wrap type grip on the saw, west coast style?

Thanks.

Only issue I've had with looking at hinges is stopping by other tree guys job sites and asking to look at their hinges. They look at me like I'm crazy. I have to get my fix here.....

That last stump looks pretty good, Gary. Just curious, did you cut both sides with a pulling chain using the bottom of the bar and therefore switching sides of the tree, or did you cut all from one side, partly pulling chain, partly pushing.

Or, option 3, all one side of tree, all pulling chain, using a full wrap type grip on the saw, west coast style?

Thanks.

The last was the best...almost a Jed looking thing. The first I got angular on my sweep but the Cat made up for my error. The pine was pretty good for me...I still struggle with planes/angles on cuts.

I think I cut all the back cuts from one side of the tree...the bar (20") was long enough for a clean sweep.

This was the backleaner after I took out the worst of the two tops:

Attachments

• tree - Dusty trail white oak  (1).jpg
    tree - Dusty trail white oak (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 48
  • tree - Dusty trail white oak  (2).jpg
    tree - Dusty trail white oak (2).jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 48
And this is where we dropped the spar:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BxHQagmOy5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice.

That sure looks like your basic GA development. I have in laws in Marietta.

Back