The Official Work Pictures Thread

I had been hanging on my rope, while he took a picture, and I was getting my phone back.

I was planning to climb standing in spots the whole way up and down, rather than an overhead TIP, so I was saving my feet and joints some unnecessary strain.
I was starting to feel water on the knee recently. But it rested away quickly.

I could advance them together well enough.

With just a flip line, it gets too easy to skip stubs rather than TIT, or cut stubs with a single TIP, and no instant exit to the ground.

Teaching safe habits to my employee.

It was thin concrete...

I'm not above ridicule on this... I just think it's a funny picture...

Sure. Probably could have at least gotten a ladder or two or three... but whatever.

PS... :) Brian.... too lazy to pinch saws...

Great picture! Like I read recently, what a girl said when she saw a boatload of snakes roiling and coiling under a building...

nope. nope. so much nope! :lol:

I think I probably unconsciously do a bit of a 'western roll' when advancing rope and flipline together. That's 11mm htp, so its reasonably stiff, somewhat like a flipline. It's not as fast as tying in once. Its a lot less Look, Listen, Feel if I don't have to connect/ disconnect my life support.

Seems to me that pines have a bit of different working rhythm than firs, around here. Spruce and cedar even more, as they are fuzzier.

Having 11mm, plus 5/8" flipline is a lot more of a handful. I'm considering a 3/4" flipline. Used to be normal around here, I think. Thick is ergonomic. I'm strong enough to now worry about the weight, which is born/ bear-ed by the tree (whatever) mostly.

My single-safety snap is my least favorite part of my climbing system, but I like the weight. An aluminum ISC double-action snap is too light, and they have design issues that defeat the
extra safety.

Having put a ton of miles on my knees with heavy packs, and having had bouts of water on the knee, I"ll take the ultra-marathon approach and save my body, as I can, when I can.

It's not about this tree going in 45 minutes to a spar, rather than 51 minutes.

It's not about the 20 trees on this project.

It's not about this year's trees.

It is about being about to do this until I can retire. Even if I go 'fully admin' and have field crews, you know the old bull will always have to step in once in a while, even if there is a lot of good talent on the scene.

I'm curious how Cory and Stig feel at the end of days, being 60+ and career loggers/ treeworkers.

I'll wager that there are days when they feel every year of it :D.

I sure did when I retired at 58...and needing a hip replacement badly :).

Some days like, Hey wow, look at me, I'm in pretty solid shape! Getting it done no problemo!

Other days like I'm 150 y o, DOB 1869.:\:

I usually feel fine in the middle of the day when things are rolling, but later at night once I stop and mellow out can be rough. Unless of course it is Friday in which case I feel more or less fine.

Sean, what about Stephen and DMc?

I like your ultra analogy.

I ]

I'm curious how Cory and Stig feel at the end of days, being 60+ and career loggers/ treeworkers.

Tired!

And with working between the Chemo treatments...............DEAD tired.

But I still adhere to the Henry Stamper edict: " Never give an inch".

But it is for sure not getting easier.

All the silverbacks!

I guess I'm not too, too slow, at 45, with all that tied in twice the whole way. I arm-span measured the rope from that tree today, topped at 120', about 20' of top, maybe 25.

AMEN....
Ill be 58 tomorrow. I'll keep trying to make it look easy, But the lads know different. Some evenings, hunched over a bit and takes time to straighten up. But I'll work a full day, run my errands and consults, run kids to and from things, cook dinner, shoot trap at night on nights I dont cook and make love if I have any energy left.... ;)
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Some days are good, some leave a tad to be desired.

Back