When Loggers Climbed Trees

If they are nice and clear I would say cut them as long as possible. On the one big job on Lake Geneva we cut oak logs 26'6" and we had buyers coming down from Green Bay about 200+ miles away.

A lot of boles on the big one.. But good volume. See what interest I get when I make some calls next week. Push to shove, I have a buddy with a portable mill and another friend of the family with a big excavator with a thumb. Hell or high water, all three of us could end up with some nice wood. Personally, I don't want to be married to the place to long, slam it in and out. There will be a lot of slash to deal with so I will probably rent a large chipper or contract that out. Too close to the end of burn season.

Oh.. and he's getting 3 bids. I will probably be the high guy. If I have to do all this leg work and bring in some guns, I want some good money for doing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
John T Labbe & Lynwood Carranco's "A logger's lexicon"

I was able to purchase this great book when it first came out, and it is one of my main sources for research in the book that I am writing on the life of the old time High Climber.

Boy, I take my hat off to Jerry B. and his book writing skills. Let me tell you, it is VERY tough work!

Is this the film? Used in advertising

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rDXJZ0v6da4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here ya go Rajan
Here is the larger tree list... There are more, but pretty small an will probably be fire wood. Then two hazard dead (past crispy and any climbing next to service lines) and a black oak cable and prune over the house.

4.5 foot DBH X 130'
2- 4 foot DBH X 100- 120 foot
2- 3.25 foot DBH X 120 foot
3.75 foot DBH X 110 foot
3 foot DBH X 110 foot
2.25 foot DBH X 120 foot
2 foot DBH X 100 foot

Hazard tree one is an eighty footer I'll do from a bucket near power and two structures.
Hazard tree two is a hundred footer I will do with a high line from two adjacent trees near a service.

those are my kind of trees, ive got the gear for them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump for this thread.

Still haven't given up my goal of writing a book about the life and times of the old high climbers, but boy I never knew how difficult it can be!

I've accumulated reams of material, but putting it together will be daunting for sure, not to mention that as a full-time production climber myself, finding the time and energy to write in the evening is difficult.

Still not sure if I sure try to write a biography about Hap Johnson, or do a fictional novel about a climber? I have a great idea for a story and would love to put pen to paper, or in this day and age, fingers to keyboard.

Bump for this thread.

Still haven't given up my goal of writing a book about the life and times of the old high climbers, but boy I never knew how difficult it can be!

I've accumulated reams of material, but putting it together will be daunting for sure, not to mention that as a full-time production climber myself, finding the time and energy to write in the evening is difficult.

Still not sure if I sure try to write a biography about Hap Johnson, or do a fictional novel about a climber? I have a great idea for a story and would love to put pen to paper, or in this day and age, fingers to keyboard.

Sounds like a great idea Chris, I like the idea of the novel, sounds easier, you can base the character on a mixture of peeps you know.

Back