When Loggers Climbed Trees

That's cool, Chris.

Having started in the line clearance end of tree work I knew how to set and use a climb line early on. When I started rigging the big trees in the woods I used the method of traverse to get into them when ever I could. But sometimes there were not smaller trees nearby to climb and traverse from, and so I would have to get down an dirty and do it the hard way.

Now the biggest trunk I flip lined was 14 foot on the butt and still 11 foot in diameter at 115 feet. Took near two hours to do. The funny part of it all is,, some smaller ones were actually more difficult.

Wow!

Jerry, did you ever use a chain as a flipline, with two carbiners on one 'D' for adjustment? Anybody? I hear that it works really well, and you'd be hard pressed to cut through it, too.

I never used chain. too heavy for the big trees. Though I did know a fellow that used it for a standard lanyard. 5/16 inch, I think. He used double swivel snaps on one D to adjust its length. One of those snaps broke one day. If the other wasn't engaged he would be history today.

That was Michael Oxman.

This thread makes me feel like a skirt. Granted, I climb and rope out trees that many men gasp at, but that still doesn't touch the beastliness of those west coast old timers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's cool, Chris.

Having started in the line clearance end of tree work I knew how to set and use a climb line early on. When I started rigging the big trees in the woods I used the method of traverse to get into them when ever I could. But sometimes there were not smaller trees nearby to climb and traverse from, and so I would have to get down an dirty and do it the hard way.

Now the biggest trunk I flip lined was 14 foot on the butt and still 11 foot in diameter at 115 feet. Took near two hours to do. The funny part of it all is,, some smaller ones were actually more difficult.

Wow Jer, 14' on the butt is a huge tree to be flip lining! You are definitely one of the people that I will be contacting with questions on high climbing when I get to writing the story about Hap and the old time high climbers.

I'd love to hear more on your reasons why some of the small ones were more difficult.

Well said, Tucker.

I don't know how much a strong enough chain weighs compared to rope, or steel core flipline. I know that I fought and fought and fought my way up one that was about 7' on the butt. Slow progress without the right technique and flipline.

My supervisor at Parks says that the chain works really well.

Transport chain for equipment that is around 5000 SWL is way too heavy, but also way too strong.

Chain size (trade size)2/0
SWL 520
Weight per hundred feet in pounds 32.

Roughly 10 pounds to go around a 14' butt, if I calculated correctly. Add two carabiner, no adjuster. Not so bad. don't know if the inner diameter would fit a 'biner at this size, though. Once you get to the tree, you're not carrying much of the weight at all. I suspect from my poor showing on the 7'er, that I would have expended much less energy with a heavier chain that was better for flipping than my steel core flipline, gaining a few inches per flip. No rolling technique going on with the steel core flipline. To have it to do over again, I'd have gotten out the bigshot and ropewalker, though it was a good and humbling experience.

I asked if he was Chris Girards uncle because I saved the pic he posted originally and the filename was 'uncle hap...'

I thought you meant tucker943's uncle, the mad hard core tree man.

Oh, those were lovely logs!

Buy Hank Johnson's book :" The whistles blow no more" and learn all about Railroad logging in the Sierra Neveda 1874-1952.

Sorry, I'm an anachronism. I like books.
Have a load of them, included what is without a doubt the single largest collection about books on Western American logging, found in Europe:D

If you ever need any suggestions for new additions to your bookshelf, I'm the one to ask. ( In Europe, that is. Bet Gerry B. can match me and then some!)

But, honestly. Go buy John T Labbe & Lynwood Carranco's "A logger's lexicon" sit down in front of the fire with a glas of you chosen beverage, read about old days, and dream .............:)

I never used chain. too heavy for the big trees. Though I did know a fellow that used it for a standard lanyard. 5/16 inch, I think. He used double swivel snaps on one D to adjust its length. One of those snaps broke one day. If the other wasn't engaged he would be history today.

That was Michael Oxman.

now that's story telling... LOL...

But, honestly. Go buy John T Labbe & Lynwood Carranco's "A logger's lexicon" sit down in front of the fire with a glas of you chosen beverage, read about old days, and dream .............:)

I am going to have to find that, Thank you!

Thanks Stig.. You should have seen the Sugar Pine I went to look at for a bid today.... Lordy. 12 I think could be millable.. One has to be wider than my F350 DBH.. Measuring and marking them tomorrow. Then I need to call around and see how and whom will take the logs.
Personally don't really care if I get all the job or not.. Just think it was awesome some one referred me to the job knowing my skill set :D

Oh boy! I wish I didn't have a baby on the way I would be there like white on rice to see that work in action.

I am going to have to find that, Thank you!

:what:

Advanced Book Search
Books
Add to my libraryWrite review

GET PRINT BOOK
No eBook available

Amazon.com
Barnes&Noble.com
Books-A-Million
IndieBound

Find in a library
All sellers »

0 Reviews
Write review
A Logger's Lexicon: A Historical Encyclopedia of Logging Terminology and ...
By Lynwood Carranco, John T. Labbe
About this book

New! Shop for Books on Google Play
Browse the world's largest eBookstore and start reading today on the web, tablet, phone, or ereader.

Go to Google Play Now »

My library
My History
Books on Google Play
Buy this book

Find in a library

Seller Price Seller rating
Amazon.com No price No rating
Barnes&Noble.com No price No rating
Books-A-Million No price No rating
IndieBound No price No rating
eBay $100.00 No rating
eBay - boilerbirds $130.00 227 ratings
About Google Books - Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Blog - Information for Publishers - Report an issue - Help - Sitemap - Google Home
©2012 Google

Here ya go Rajan
Here is the larger tree list... There are more, but pretty small an will probably be fire wood. Then two hazard dead (past crispy and any climbing next to service lines) and a black oak cable and prune over the house.

4.5 foot DBH X 130'
2- 4 foot DBH X 100- 120 foot
2- 3.25 foot DBH X 120 foot
3.75 foot DBH X 110 foot
3 foot DBH X 110 foot
2.25 foot DBH X 120 foot
2 foot DBH X 100 foot

Hazard tree one is an eighty footer I'll do from a bucket near power and two structures.
Hazard tree two is a hundred footer I will do with a high line from two adjacent trees near a service.

Back