When Loggers Climbed Trees

Throwing together pictures, names, dates and places is easy. Writing a novel is another thing. I've always toyed with the idea, and tried, but couldn't even get the first sentence written.

More power to you, Chris!

To be honest, Jerry - you did (bookwise) what I thought about doing for decades. The difference is YOU actually did it! :beer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't forget Finley Hayes. He was climbing, topping and rigging spar poles even before Hap Johnson. And Finley wrote a ton of greats stories about his tenure in the woods, too. Remember the 'Rigging Shack" The title of Finley's column in Loggers World.

You bet Jer that I haven't forgotten about Finley as my avatar shows :)

As a matter of fact, I have quite a few stories from Finley's 'Rigging Shack' where he talks about his days as a High Climber. A few years back (after Finley had passed), I contacted his son-in-law and others who had taken over Logger's World mag, about getting any info on Hap. They said that they probably have all kinds of info on Hap Johnson and others in their archives but that I would have to come in myself and do the research.

Definitely one of the places that we plan on visiting when we do our cross-country trip!

It would be cool if they could digitize the archives. But either way it sounds like a helluva cool opportunity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got my DVD and a book about the fallers that worked in the Old Growth. Looks like great reading and watching ahead!

Back