All RopeKnight - All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to like watching investor / entrepreneur shows like Dragon's Den and Shark Tank.
Amazing how some folks are so unbelievably stubborn / stupid to have been unwilling or unable to take NO for the correct answer, and squandered their life savings on hopeless schemes and inventions.

My ex's grandfather came up with a clip on clipboard for your steering wheel, so you can write notes while in the car.... had moulds made up and cast a few hundred of them. They only fit his steering wheel.

I'm sure those little details could have been worked out if only he had persisted a bit longer.

I don't trust myself with this thing. It's my own inability to hit my shot but I've been close enough to being hit with a throw bag to know I don't want a pointy metal object coming toward me or anything else. It just ain't for me.

It's great for when you don't need that much altitude, but you need something that will hit the ground when tossing through dodgy shit.

I've used mine twice.

My only complaint is the price...

:(

Having started in this trade, long before modern throw-weights become the thing, we all made our own, and all of them where hard. Lead fishing weights, insulators, cresent wrenches, and gear shafts. Sleek, hard, durable and deadly.

My friend Wes Burns in Leggett made a bag and filled it with pennys. He had the 35 cent bag, the fifty-cent, all the way up to the $2 bag. His wife sewed them up for him, to tight specifications. A good idea, I thought.

A big rubber ball with a lead-core came on the scene next. F'ing thing bounced too much.

Then the lead shot filled throw bags came. Whoa! How much more can one improve on this simple device I wondered??

So be it. The Torpedo filled the vacuum.

As a hard weight it is reminiscent of the early days. Dive for cover!

hahaha....roger that! I first saw throw bags at Ben Meadows in the 70's...$17 then, hard rubber bag things I think. I couldn't imagine paying that much. I found a croquet ball with an eye hook in it (no ideal why it was like that really) in a salvage store and got it for a quarter. I still use it...keep it on my belt to advance my climbing line. But I definitely wear a hard hat and watch it very closely. It makes great noises when it bounces off limbs.:D

Attachments

• throwball resized.JPG
    throwball resized.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 99
Ha! I love the money bag idea..."get me that 50 cent bag, Elmer". Although someone overhearing that kind of talk today might get you into trouble.

Ive used these several times as I started out my career in arboriculture, during my undergraduate studies, I actually had the chance to be employed by the gentlemen that crafted this device. In regards to the rope knight, it works it definitely has its advantages all of which have been outlined by the OP, but unfortunately the list of disadvantages out weigh any justification for the price of the item. that being said if someone gave me one,I would find a use for it!

Welcome to The Tree House Jami. When you say you were employed by the gentleman that crafted this device what is it that you are referring to? Again welcome, Merle.

Last night I picked up the iPad and stuck my head inside the TH door to see what's up. Recognizing the Ropeknight brand I opened this thread to find Mr Bonner calling me out about this "favorite line setting device," something he clearly and personally endorses, saying Tobe doesn't like it so you won't find it at evil SherrillTree.

Ultimately it became clear through posted reviews that a number of "LEGIT OUTDOORSMEN" discovered the same two things I did several years ago when I investigated this item;
1. It's dangerous to throw a solid steel Torpedo (the original name) over your head, and
2. Thomas the inventor has difficulty with "NO."

SherrillTree has long since, in fact long before this thread, switched to steel shot in our mfg'd throw weights.

As for the "evil" reference I'll leave it up to reasonable minds to determine justification for painting one's adversary as the boogeyman. In my book it's only sensible to reject a product that's not fully baked, that's not widely appealing, or in this case, poses an unnecessary risk to users. I'm pretty sure the definition of evil would not include the company who declined profits over safety.

For over 30 years SherrillTree has served the fathers, sons and ladies of tree care with the utmost pride and humility. I sincerely love this industry and look forward to presenting the products arborists can count on as safe and productive for their work.
Best wishes and climb safe.

Tobe Sherrill

I just wanted to highlight a few things here Tobe.
Your neglect for the industry, for your lack of understanding and NOT acknowledging the information as well as limiting your sources for information.
Sherrill manufactures, markets and sells inferior and competing throw products. Sherrill is putting profit ahead of the profits of its clients by not demonstrating this improved and available throw weight and rope positioning option. Every yr Sherrill accepts RK demo kits and comes to the same conclusions. Why? Interest in its own profit ie Highball and throwbags.

This from a legit pro arbclimber.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/muyk89m92CU?list=FLrryWlE1QulSV_gPHsBUh1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn you. I got two little girls that song that song constantly. Now it's stuck in my head again. And people wonder why I drink:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back