Must-Read cat rescue tips

:lol::lol::lol:

Using a paint scraper, slather the wet dog food on the branches of the pine tree when you reach the top of the ladder. Work your way down the side of the tree to create a trail of the dog food.

Call to your cat gently, holding up the food-covered scraper to try and catch his sense of smell. If you can reach him, be very careful when you pick him up so that you don't get scratched. The heavy gloves should help protect you long enough to make it down the ladder to free him.

I don't do them anymore, and the dude won't take my name off the website.

Cats always get stuck in trees on sundays, and the owners are always annoying.

20 gauge gets em outta the tree lickity split.

I'm just joking. I have 2 cats and love the heck out of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"If your cat is very young, call for help immediately as kittens won't have the strength to hold onto the tree if a gust of wind picks up."

If the kitty doesn't have the strength to hold on, how did it have the strength to climb up in the first place?

and that's an even better idea to hire a climber after the first failed rescue try. Poor climber, he has to make his way to the cat on a bark embedded by dog food !
a little slippery :whine:

risky, using dog food, eh? :?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTosxc7sevM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

it's amazing how long 41 seconds is ... :roll:

Most of my rescues are on a steep hill out in greenspace behind a house where you could never get a truck. Add in lots of ivy and blackberries to mess with your throwlines.

Most of my jobs are where you can't get a truck... but then most people that live there are not really worried about stuck cats... Nature kinda sorts it out. :lol:

I think what you really need is a trained red tail hawk to dive bomb the cat .I'll bet that stupid SOB would learn how to climb real quick .

The last few rescues I have done I haven't had to touch the cat. I climb past it (or over from another tree) and descend towards the creature from above...kinda like death from above, I guess...'cause they see me coming with gear clanking and carrying a big black plastic trashcan with ropes hanging off it and they decide they DO know how to climb down.

Which is fine with me...I don't like messing with pissed off cats in trees.

And I have increased my fee enough that folks get all incredulous and decide they really don't love kitty as much as they thought they did.:D

I've had several where just bouncing the throw bag above the cat encourages them to come down. I now tell that to the owner ahead of time, so that it's not so awkward, me standing there charging them all that $$$ for doing basically "nothing."

Back