Graeme McMahon Regnans Take Down

Could well be Sorbus sitchensis, Stig. Can be 1-20' tall, depending on the conditions. A cut and paste blurb:

Sitka mountain-ash berries remain on the trees until late winter, making
them available as winter forage. They are important in the diet of many
upland gamebirds, songbirds, and small mammals [14,26]. The twigs
supply browse for deer and moose [14]. Roosevelt elk also utilize Sitka
mountain-ash in the summer months [19]. Black bear and grizzly bear eat
the berries, leaves, and stems [21,27].

Wow! What a trip Gerry! To stand in your shoes for a day would be more than a lifetime in mine. Excellent coverage of a very interesting trip.

Stig, what is 'false heartwood'?

Google it, please. Google can explain it much better than I can , in my halting, incorrect English.

Basically it is an age or infection related discoloration of the center wood of species that don't have heartwood, like beech and ash.( those are the local ones that I'm familiar with)
Beech will get red heart ash, gets blackish /olivewood colored ( hence the name: Olive ash).

In ash, the female trees are way more prone to get it especially if they grow in wet areas.

When I first started logging back when you were a mere snip of a girl ( still are, somewhat:)) blackheart ash was unsellable, it went right to the firewood pile.
Today it is more valued than the pure white ash. Market trends change, but not for the beech. Red heart is still considered a fault and more than 30% in a veneer log disqualifies it. So when we buck logs, we make the amount of redheart part of our calculation as where to cut it.

Thanks for sharing this Jerry, I can almost smell the fresh cut wood .

I gotta say I have to make a trip downunder to these parts before I leave this world, and yes their wintertime if its not raining would be the time to go.

Wow, Jerry that was cool,
Great photos, love to see the Ace/Angus video
To think I passed up Graeme's invite at ISA is going to haunt me the rest of my life, doubt I will make it down there again
you and Graeme both have a similar spirit, brothers on different hemispheres, legends
The Aussie hospitality was incredible when I was down there
Thanks for sharing

Nice vid. Wonder why he didnt use the mewp for chogging the stem down? Lugging an 660/880 around on a flipline aint much fun.

Same here. But, from what I was seeing from all the angles, I didn't see any targets except maybe some trees. I guess they didn't wanna damage them.

Probably correct dear Watson as the place where they were working had the title of "Gardens" in it. Might have had some of those little monuments in there as well... There was that one video where they had to crane the pieces with neighboring trees to vector the picks into a road with out hitting them.

Back