Gardening - Growing Your Own.

I'm not having much success gardening in Las Vegas. Have gotten a handful of tomatoes off of four plants, a couple of carrots, and a couple of onions. I have switched my direction to trees and planted a couple of pomegranate trees. I understand you have to protect the fruit from a stink bug that has invaded here from the orient, and aphids. They seem to be the most adapted to the desert.

I've never seen the desert, gotta change that :drink:

I grew up on my family's farm and live on adjoining property now. It's just my dad and uncle mainly. This year about 700 tomato plants, a few acres of sweet corn, watermelons, and cantaloupe each. Plus okra, squash, green beans, etc. I love tree work, but fresh produce farming is hard work.

Davy, I can only imagine the effort needed to do larger scale farming well. Even small gardens can take up a lot of time to keep up and under control, especially mature plants.

With no employees, just help from family when available, it keeps them busy literally from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. I've seen my dad out recently with a headlamp. Says it's better than working in the heat.

image.jpg
Still about a week till peak season for these but 2 quarts is a good haul off of one bush. The girls and I went picking in the nieghbors garden this evening. He told me this spring to have all I want of the berries as he still has loads of preserves left from last year. I'm glad we get along! He also brought down a half gallon of canned hot peppers for me along with a load of tomatoes and bell peppers for the family.

We are tomorrow night boss. Had our full of cake and ice cream today with two separate family birthday parties. One turned 4 and the other 85.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
E0rdW2O.gif

Ice cream.When my dad found out he was diabetic he told my uncle Phil he had to give up beer and ice cream.Uncle Phil replied,well Bud you've already had more than your share.

That sweet siren song, that even a closed freezer door can't keep out of your ears.

Exactly the reason I never buy more than what we can eat right away.

I've had garden goods this year I haven't had in decades .One being fresh green beans .A few days ago fried crook neck yellow squash .It's been kind of nice .

That's great, Al. It's been the opposite here, the last few years were stellar. This year mama's busy with a new baby and I've working like a dog. Oh well, glad for the grocery store!

Ice cream.When my dad found out he was diabetic he told my uncle Phil he had to give up beer and ice cream.Uncle Phil replied,well Bud you've already had more than your share.

That's how I Feel Al. I need to severely reduce a lot of things in my diet, and I figure I've already had a lifetime supply of some of them.

Al, green beans seem pretty easy to grow, have some unusual ability to pull nitrogen out of soil where other plants have to have it handed to them. Wonder what the difficulty has been at your spot? Green beans are cool, lots of uses.

This year have been eating fresh vegetables more than ever before, the benefit of a good gardening spot that someone let's me use. Behind my shop will grow stuff but not enough sunlight. All day light at the current spot, and a creek for water there.

My blood pressure wasn't really high, it could get up into the pre-hypertension range with some readings, but I don't think it was constant enough for concern. Now all the readings are normal low day and night, almost always the same. I guess I can attribute it to the vegetable intake. The heart health sites say that lots of fruit and vegetables will do that.

Back