Gardening - Growing Your Own.

Still a ways to go, but the veggies are looking good. I brew compost tea with an aerator every few weeks. Epsom salts is supposed to be good for adding magnesium, either in the planting hole or dissolved in water every now and then. I haven't tried it though, not sure what they call it over here. Good information on the web about it. Never had much success with carrots, but I have a new location this year with more sun. An elderly couple went into a rest home and the person looking after their farm house said if I keep the weeds down I can use the old garden area. A few feet away is a narrow constantly flowing creek, so watering is a breeze. A kindly guy looking after the property, he fertilized the spot for me when I said that I'd be grateful to use it. Lots and lots of vegetable gardens in the area, interesting to compare.

I'm going to try and get tomato plants and cucumbers this week .I didn't take the time this year to plant starter plants from seed .

Bummer!
Happens a lot up here in the North.
Replanting is the only answer, and hoping for enough growing time.

That is why I can't wait to get my new poly tunnel next spring.
Just light a few candles or turn on the electric heater when that happens.

I planted the tomatoes about 4 days ago and I swear they've grown 6 inches since then .It's finally gotten warm here in the giant corn field of the midwest .Fact today is the first I've used the AC.

I planted some seeds and after watering put down a clear plastic sheet on top of the soil. I just cup open a big clear bag I had and laid it out with something on the sides to keep it from blowing away.. It sure got toasty hot under there and stayed moist. A good environment for germinating, the seeds quickly sprouted. People often use black plastic, but it isn't necessary, except for it keeps the weeds down better than clear. I like the use what you've got theory for growing vegetables.

My dad always said memorial day weekend is the best time to plant a garden in these parts .He must have been right because the green beans,crooked neck squash and cucumbers are sprouted and growing already .

We reach 100f+ around here in the summer. Will be 90+ today. A/C, really?

I open windows at night and close them during the day, not a single a/c unit in my house.

My wife stuck my 'mater plants in the ground a couple of days ago. I hope they do well!

Squish, you can shade plants, they are like people that way except for not doing it themselves. A mulch aids to retain moisture that helps to keep things cool.

Just finished up in the garden. Got my onions in on time and then it rained for a few weeks and put me behind. Maters,peppers,and Cucs were planted tonight. Soaked everything real good and loaded up the truck and trailer for tomorrow's jobs. Added a tablespoon of Epsom salt to each plant hoping to help them this year.

Epsom salt ah? Never heard of doing that.

Our garden is in for the most part. A lot of flowers came up this year (sorry Stig, I like em) had a good salad tonight with spinach from the garden. I'll get some photos up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't forget an excellent source of (one cup urine to one gallon water) fresh Nitrogen!

Back