Gardening - Growing Your Own.

Been using epsom salts as an additive regularly. It may not be all that advantageous if your soil isn't lacking in magnesium, but lots of old well used garden plots are. Said to be particularly good for tomatoes and peppers. Backstrap molasses is another good thing as a trace mineral additive and something that helps to keep favorable plant bacteria happy. I use it and epsom salts diluted in water as an aerial spray. Good point, MB. I regularly pee on my compost pile out behind the shop.

You mean not the same as the diluted urine mix applied directly to plants? You are likely right, it's just that I think my soil has sufficient nitrogen, so with the compost I figure a little supplement can't hurt. Urine isn't good if you are taking certain medications I have read.

In the winter you can grow winter crops. Croms, bulbs and hearty stuff. Onions.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_..._crops/Louisiana+Vegetable+Planting+Guide.htm

That was helpful, thanks! This is related, although I focused it biodynamics specific to tree growth: http://www.albanyorganics.com/blog/biodynamics-valerian-the-need-for-tree-removal

I've done a lot of research on biodynamics, and it would be helpful in terms of preserving crops during tough weather.

Potatoes, beans, onions, sprouts, strawberries, parsnips, carrots........coming along nicely.

All the wife's work I hasten to add.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 26
Mick is that taller stuff you asparagus? Mine is only about two foot tall and very thin. It's in it second year now so I guess I have to wait one more year to get anything

Looks good, Mick!
How do you keep the dog from peeing on the veggies?
I have to fence my vegetable garden, because the dogs get into these territory marking competitions with the fox.
Tends to give the parsley a pissy taste.

Might have to do a crown reduction on those asparagus.
Compared to what we can do with them here, those are IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Guess that is the advantage of a female dog.
No spray painting of everything that they can get to.

I was trying to get a young climbing vine to grow against my machine shed ( Can't remember the name!!!!!!!!!!!)
Eventually had to turn a ring, cut it in half, bore holes along the perimeter and stick bamboo sticks, cut on an angle in the holes, so that any dog, trying to do a leg lift would be impaled.
Worked wonderfully.

Might have to do a crown reduction on those asparagus.
Compared to what we can do with them here, those are IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Guess that is the advantage of a female dog.
No spray painting of everything that they can get to.

I was trying to get a young climbing vine to grow against my machine shed ( Can't remember the name!!!!!!!!!!!)
Eventually had to turn a ring, cut it in half, bore holes along the perimeter and stick bamboo sticks, cut on an angle in the holes, so that any dog, trying to do a leg lift would be impaled.
Worked wonderfully.

I guess the asparagus is in its 7th year so at its peak, vitality wise. It's a very fertile area, plenty of sun, plenty of rain.
Spring arrives like an express train rather than limping in reluctantly as seems to happen in the UK.

P1040509.JPG This is what ours looks like right now.

Potatoes, onions and garlic.
Everything else will go in the polytunnel next year.

Got blackberries, raspberries and strawberries in there as well, but they are nowhere near as big as yours.

Looks nice, guess you're way out of the flood area Mick!:scratch: What happened to that other guy?

That was helpful, thanks! This is related, although I focused it biodynamics specific to tree growth: http://www.albanyorganics.com/blog/biodynamics-valerian-the-need-for-tree-removal

I've done a lot of research on biodynamics, and it would be helpful in terms of preserving crops during tough weather.

I know a bit about Alex Podolinsky. I'll post something about him in this thread, you might like to read it, it's got some good stuff in it. Jim is going all out at it. https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?18627-alternatives-in-land-use

The old man's crazy. Well over 800 tomatoes in the ground, 475 peppers, 2 field of corn, many melons scattered around and he's still not done!
2967614370a640dafce7824b4375f504.jpg
56f92314e690e293a2b1b36da4df03a5.jpg
582a2c3f5e43ab86cb7502ce70d65109.jpg
0db111af284bb65ce70c05a70934421f.jpg

I pee directly in the flower pots and roses, no problems with burning unless it's your nose when you smell the blooms:D

He's in the fields all day long. I love the crop but I don't enjoy the planting and weeding

I can understand, it can feel real peaceful out there in the garden with plants looking happy. Some amazing growth spurts when things are pumping.

Good vegetable gardens are a lot of work. I sometimes wish a crazy man would grow mine. An hour here, an hour or two there, it adds up.

Like a lot of things, if you enjoy it, finding time is easy, my wife really does like it, for my part I create, rotovate, and do the heavy work and she does the rest. (Oh, I eat the stuff as well)
I think she likes the order, lines and certainty of it, whereas I'm more flowers and landscapes.
Most of the work is at the beginning of the season (so she tells me!) once it's all in and growing then it's an hour here an hour there.

I've seen Willie's father in law's garden, and even though I'm not easily impressed, that did it for sure.

Back