3 strand splice

OK, so it's been a few years since I posted last on this thread and I'm wondering how many of you guys have taken up splicing 3 strand?

Still love that stuff for personal lanyards. Saves a ton of money. I also use it for speedline slings and chainsaw lanyards.

A fellow Arborist buddy of mine just sent me a Facebook message today asking if I still splice 3 strand. He wants me to make up 3 loops for him of various lengths.... I guess I have to reputation of being a 3 strand lover :-)

I have 3 loops that I use as well as an adjustable ring and ring all made out of 3 strand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just did a lanyard last month for a co worker. I've made about a dozen 10-12 foot slings for vertical zip lining spar wood. It's pretty easy but makes my fingers ache after doing a few.

3 strand twisted manila rope is what I start with in 1969. Tubbs brand. Now, there was a 4 strand also in the day, but I can not remember who made it. Nonetheless no matter how may strands twisted rope always splices the same. I can splice twisted rope blind folded. End, Straight or Eye. Twisted rope is a good tool in the arborist's Kit. Though I will bet not many arborists today could splice it.

I think 3 stand rope splicing and wire rope splicing should be requirements for all Arborists. I used to know how to splice wire but it's been almost 20 years since I did it last. There's been times it would have come in handy but I've managed just fine without.

Wrapping wire rope to splice and eye is so easy. Now, the tuck splices in wire rope is another thing. I posted a video on youtube about splicing steel cable. I think it's call the Logger's splice or half inch choker. I'm too lazy right now to post a link, but it is there. anybody?

Daddy taught me to splice three strand rope on the farm as a boy. 7 strand cable eye splices are a piece of cake too. Something I haven't seen in the arborist tool kit but one that is used on every power company handline is an adjustable "hoopie" sling out of three strand rope. Very simple to make, I'll try and post a pic sometime.

Wrapping wire rope to splice and eye is so easy. Now, the tuck splices in wire rope is another thing. I posted a video on youtube about splicing steel cable. I think it's call the Logger's splice or half inch choker. I'm too lazy right now to post a link, but it is there. anybody?

Here it is, thanks Jer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jBlvFRDHdgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PsXlslfkrqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd like to see their forearms.

two.jpg

Just curious, what is the minimum number of tucks one can use for a non-life bearing splice? I'm making a new saw lanyard and want to keep it fairly bulk free.

Back