3 strand splice

There is less tweaking in the eye when you tuck the first strand twice. You are basically making it so that after that first round of tucking, all 3 strands are coming out at the same level...if that makes sense.

First strand twice, second strand once, third strand goes backwards, then you're ready to rock and roll.

Start at about 2:10 here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7tj4YbwpbxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was great Nick! You tie a splice like I tie a Bowline. It is as simple as that. Thanks.

That point alway worries me in the 3 strands eye splice. The third strand has to invert its rotational way when it comes to the standing part. If not, it can't follow the "new for it" strands twist, but I found that's a concern, mechanically speaking : For me, this strand can't take its part of the load because its end (anchor role) isn't in line with its working part, like the two other strands.
Do I misinterpreting something ?

Marc, conceptually what you're saying makes sense. Visually, if you look at it- it looks funky. But break testing doesn't show it breaking at that point any more than it does in other spots.

Don't worry about it. Besides, there isn't any other way!

love
nick

2012-08-21_20-46-00_658.jpg 2012-08-21_20-47-11_211.jpg
Finally got around to trying this again, I need more practice I think

sure is I found about a 10' piece at work and thought I'd put it to good use.

Brion Toss shows unwrapping each strand as he braids so they're more like "ribbons". I don't get as nice a splice if I completely unwrap them. Sorta in between works best for me. If you don't get some of the twist out, it knots up, but I like the look of the splice better if a little twist is left in the strands.

I do the opposite. I try to keep each strand as round and neat as possible. Is there any real advantage to either? I guess if Brion Toss and Nick take the twist out, I should too.

I taught the 3 strand splice to so many young fellows I started doing it blindfolded to show them that it was just repetition after you understood it. End, eye, or straight.

I'm a little like Gerry in a way as I was splicing three strand before I was 11 years old ,no chit . The nylon came in when I was in the navy and I could do 2 inch mooring lines as good as any hillbilly bosuns mate that ever wore the bell bottom blues .;)

Looks good. My favorite saw lanyard that I ever had was one that I made out of some 3/8" 3 strand. I miss that lanyard daily.

I do the opposite. I try to keep each strand as round and neat as possible. Is there any real advantage to either? I guess if Brion Toss and Nick take the twist out, I should too.
It's the same for me, the untwisting is new to me.
I want to splice a new set of slings, I'll try this way.

I began at last my new set of slings.
4 strands twisted PP rope, "home depot quality", but strong enough (WWL=950#).
For the first splice, I kept the strands as round as I can, as usual for me.
For the following ones, I took the twist out like Nick recommends.

Results :
The splice with wisted strands is full of holes and bumpy.
The splice with untwisted strands is more compact, more stream lined, nicer. It looks safer too, but that's only a feeling.
I have to say that they don't have saw a load yet, so they aren't fully set.

The diameter is 15 mm, so in the middle between 9/16 and 5/8.

I do a lot of self rigging and I like the little stretch to cushion the shock loading. A sort of peace of mind. I didn't try other ropes to compare, though.
It works well for the knotless rigging too.
An other good point, the twisted rope can sustain some small bites with the saw and keeps its shape without fraying like the braided ones.

I agree, that's a crappy rope.

I'll take a pic tomorrow with the day light.

Well, day light but rainy day !
As I said, they are just braided and not set yet, so they look a little odd.
I will trim the ends after putting some good load on the slings.
The splice with the twisted strands is on the left. The three others are with untwisted strands.

You are correct- the ones on the right look WAY better than the one on the left.

Now that you got the skills down, you should get a good quality rope to make the slings out of! Polypro doesn't belong in the trees.

Back