Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 3 strand splice

On that elongation issue we used to splice ,just after the eye spice 17" of white line in a 10" area . White line is soft 3 strand cotton with almost no elongation .That way if the white line got tight as the main line stretched you know that was about all the main line could take before it failed .You also don't tuck the bitter ends of the splice but leave a tail of a couple inches because the eye splice elongates also under strain .
    I don't think the navy uses 3 strand any more and has gone to double braid nylon .On that I have no idea what the elongation rate is but we all know it's stronger per diameter .--Edit : I just checked ,for insured safety against failure the safe working load on three strand has been down graded to 50 percent elongation instead of 70 percent .70 was the parting point of failure almost 50 years ago .----

A story from a long time ago .My first wife was research assistant at the Coast Guard Academy when the CG did the most comprehensive testing of all types of line up to that point .All types of lines such as nylon ,manila ,steel cable etc .Two senior honor students and several engineers were involved .Those ornery kids went on to be admirals but I remember them at my apartment drinking my beer and smoking my cigarettes and I have to laugh at that . I only lived about a half a mile from the CG academy in New London Conn .
    That study was as thick as the old Sears and Roebuck catalog of years ago once it was completed and I have yet to find any thing on line .My ex had a copy but she's deceased .It had testing not only on the lines but splices,knots ,wet .dry,oil soaked It took the best part of the final year of those two senior cadets .I would have liked to have seen them both graduate but I got out of the navy several months before the event .

Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.