Vermeer 1250 help

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Maybe someone can help me. I have a Vermeer 1250 and the last few times I've run it, the belt is squealing when you put anything over 4" inches into the chipper. Knives are sharp, gap is good. I have to replace the belt I think. I don't have the chipper here at my house and its on my mind today. What does replacing the belt entail? Quick job or major headache?

I would try tightening it up first. The motor is mounted into slotted holes and you loosen the four bolts holding it down and use the two long bolts to drag the motor through the slots to tighten it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will do. I suppose I could have skipped the thread altogether and waited until tomorrow to look at it, but its been on the brain today.

If it is a shot belt, and tightening doesn't do the trick, how much do those belts cost roughly? I've never purchased one for any chipper at all.

Tightening the belt will probably do it. If you replace the belt, it's not too hard to do (on Morbarks at least), just gotta take pains to make sure you line things up correctly, the engine side sheave has to be totally in line with the chipper side sheave. The last time I replaced one, it was kinda wierd cuz the machine vibrated with the new belt. Turns out the belt itself was "out of balance," highly unusual afaik. Not sure of the cost, but if ya need it ya need it.

Oh for sure. The belt could cost a grand and if it needs one, it needs one. I just like to have a ball park idea on things.

1 belt, I believe. But the chipper is at my yard so I'm only speaking from memory until I'm there tomorrow.

I have a 1250 also, I never had to mess with the belt. Its one belt about 4" wide. Is it gas or diesel? I dont know if it makes a difference. I have the books and could look it up for ya.

If that belt is glazed which it probabley is you can prolong replacing it for a short while if you give it a good shot of belt dressing .It's only a temporary fix but it will get you by for a while .

I'm going to order a belt, tighten the existing belt, then it run until its done. The previous owner has several new belts and 2 more sets of knives. He was supposed to drop them off to me the day after I bought the chipper. A third party told me he has seen the belts and knives in a box in the guys shop. Anyway, the seller started dodging me after I bought the chipper and called him about the parts.

I'm going to pay him a surprise visit.

Looking at this chipper on a french site.

It’s the 120 horse version, looks like a beast, Tucker is no longer here to critique but anyone else have one/like/hate them?

TIA.

Attachments

• 3E2392CC-CD77-4908-99DD-3CB66253FD64.jpg
    3E2392CC-CD77-4908-99DD-3CB66253FD64.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 33
Absolute beast. Heavy beast too. If it has Curb side swivel, nice to have. 16,000 Euro seems steep. Hours?
I think the sheer size and weight might be a consideration. The feed rollers on mine are spring tension and vertical. I thing horizontal and hydraulic crush and feed better. Something someone else can chime in on.

No mention of hours.

Price wise you have to remember these sort of machines are rare over here, plus they’ve had conforming axles fitted blah blah.

He’s pulling it with a pickup like mine in the photos.

A quick check of the specs shows that it’s 2700 kg ish, which is inside my capacity to pull.

Mine is older and heavier than that. So might take any advise I have with a grain of salt. Perkins/CAT is a great motor. I have the 100 HP. 120 would be awesome.
I pull mine with my full size F250. I know it is going to cost me another transmission sooner than later though. I think my chipper is about 7500# so about 3500kg ?

Mick, what is that on the lowest picture in your post.
Have the Chinese started to make copy versions of TP chippers?

I've had excellent luck with the reliability and performance of my Perkins engine.

I've never run vermeer vertical feed wheels but have heard nothing good about them- constant jamming.

Stig, a brief check on the web points to Rabaud being a rather low budget machine, origins unknown.

I had vertical rollers on a tracked machine last century, no issues, except if you stood on the wrong side you’d get swept aside by long pieces.

Back