Broken sling

Responding to Dave's post, so rope is not like wire, where the first load sets the strands or fibers, so the rope actually is stronger the second pull?

Given the large safety factor with textiles, it is hard to picture damage occurring from simply exceeding the WLL with a steady load, unless considerably over the WLL. It brings to mind what defines damage?

Well granted that nylon is some pretty good stuff as a rule .Big old stuck piece of machinery mired in the mud might call for the big guns .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a picture of a similar sling and the pulled out ,broken eye.

After it broke, they used the sling to simply tie the block to the forwarder and pulled it free that way.

So the force applied was not enough to break a sling with a knot in it, but enough to destroy the spliced eye.

To me, that spell bad splice job, or what?

P1010664.JPG

Looks like the bury is too short to me, from the way the stitches have broken its just broke some fibres in the cover at the throat, and pulled the whole splice out.

Not good.

I cant see too well with your microscopic pic, but if that was supposed to be a full bury splice, it looks way too short. Who did that?

P1010664.jpg

Is this better, Dave?

I just measured the bury on another sling like it, it is 23" long.

I don't know who spliced it, I bought it from Bailey's already spliced.

I assume they got it that way from Samson.

I'v never spliced tenex that way, but talking to Pete last night he said 2 fid lengths for the bury, so on 1" cord I would expect a bury of 42".

Tenex is so easy to splice that I would just buy bulk cordage and splice my own slings. In fact I do that with the double braid I use for work slings.

Bad splice man, I've seen a few from Samson, I wouldn't trust anything spliced by them at all. I know of a guy on the TB who had a Velocity splice coming apart on him just from daily climbing. Thankfully he noticed it before it failed. If you got it from Bailey's, more than likely it's Samson spliced.

Also, it appears that they did a straight bury splice, which is fine and all, but I prefer a locking brummel, no chance of the splice ever coming undone. You lose a bit of strength compared to the straight bury, but it justify's itself in the safety factor of not having to worry about the splice pulling apart.

Same here, but I have always used locked brummel splices.

Going to make up a couple of eye and eye slings in 9mm tenex, brummel one end straight bury the other, and break them to see which gives way first.

What is a waterproofing tag?

Dave, what I'm trying to learn from this, since I don't splice,( Richard handles that or Anders, no need for me to learn.)

is whether I have been an absolute fool going happily through life, thinking I knew for an absolute fact that a splice is always stronger than a knot.

Now I have a splice breaking before the knot, and moreover the sling being put together with another knot afterwards, and then handling the job alright.

I realize that the pull on the sling was quite a bit above WWL, so I have no one to blame but the person who broke the sling, but it still rocks my beliefs some ( a lot, actually, which is why I posted it)

Tenex is so easy to splice that I would just buy bulk cordage and splice my own slings. In fact I do that with the double braid I use for work slings.

No can do.

We can't get it here and Bailey's don't sell in bulk.

So for us it is cheaper to buy ready made from Bailey's when we do our biannually order.

Stig, properly done, a splice is always stronger than a knot. Many tensile strengths are based upon a spliced line. As for the waterproof tag, when Samson splices Tenex, they put on a yellow or orange waterproof fabric tag stating WLL for the different configurations. What I gather isn't so much that the line parted, but the bury pulled out. If it was on 23 inches, that ain't near enough.

WS_34_XL.jpg

Tag should look some thing the on in this pic.

There was no tag on any of those slings.
But I do have them on the ones we got from Bailey's this year.

Is there a Brummel on your new ones, or is it a full bury? If it is a full bury can you tell me how long it is?

Can you explain the difference?

Like I said, I don't know Jack about splicing and Richard doesn't answer his phone.

EDIT: He just answered. It is a full bury and it is 35" long on a 3/4 inch sling.

View attachment 39679

Is this better, Dave?

I just measured the bury on another sling like it, it is 23" long.

I don't know who spliced it, I bought it from Bailey's already spliced.

I assume they got it that way from Samson.

Stig, This picture you posted shows a straight bury.

The picture I posted with the tag shows a Brummel with a bury.

Scary, Stig.

I don't buy spliced things, they are made by humans. Bad day while they were splicing, ouch.

I splice my own Tenex slings though. I have about 150' of 3/4. Loopies, and eye slings with locking brummell.

Funny how much we learn when someone breaks something....
I just started acquiring splicing tools and I am getting ready to start splicing my own slings. :)

Back