The " No wimpy euro short bar feller, me!" hazard tree.

Are they using the real Tirfor in your part of the world, or the Japanese Eureka knock off!

Good question. Most of the ones I see here say Tirfor on the case, and seem to appear in every way the same as what is shown on foreign websites. On recent ones, I see the little instruction diagram on the side in the local lingo, if that indicates anything. Real ones made for the market here? There is a pretty big demand for them. I have been keeping my eye out for a 1.6 ton, but the new ones are rather costly, and lots of competition for them when the used ones come up at the auctions. Even beat up looking ones the price goes up there. Where exactly is Tirfor made?

I've used that cut myself a few times Stig. While logging, the foresters would mark very big trees that were total garbage just to get them out of the woods and free up some sunlight, as I'm sure you've dealt with 10000000 times. In several cases I came upon some brutal and very big leaners that were hollow, and usually basswood or tulip poplar. The typical bore cut left me standing there scratching my head wondering how on earth I was getting my saw out of that tree, or atleast my bar and chain. Is have to radio for someone to bring another saw back to me to unjam my mess. Which, is comparable to calling out to the landing and telling someone you sit down to pee. A light when off in my head one day to bore first, face cut second, and trip the bugger third.

I've used that cut myself a few times Stig. While logging, the foresters would mark very big trees that were total garbage just to get them out of the woods and free up some sunlight, as I'm sure you've dealt with 10000000 times. In several cases I came upon some brutal and very big leaners that were hollow, and usually basswood or tulip poplar. The typical bore cut left me standing there scratching my head wondering how on earth I was getting my saw out of that tree, or atleast my bar and chain. Id have to radio for someone to bring another saw back to me to unjam my mess. Which, is comparable to calling out to the landing and telling someone you sit down to pee. A light when off in my head one day to bore first, face cut second, and trip the bugger third.

Where exactly is Tirfor made?

That's a good question as well, I'm not sure where they are made now.

Mine is a Tirfor T.35, 3 ton lift and 5 ton pull. Patent Tractel. SA. Paris, France. I've had it for years, it came with 100' cable, I got a shorter one made up after a couple of years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The original patent is Swiss.
So are the original Tirfors.
But after the patent ran out, I see copies from all over.

Chris, that was what I figured.
That someone else had thought along the same lines and come up with the same solution.

Great minds think alike:lol:

I've used that cut in the tree for many years... rare to need it, but it comes in handy when you do.. particularly needed on heavy front leaners when the stem is thin.. there can be a tendency to overcut the notch leaving not enough room to plunge.. by plunging first, its easy to set the face second... all that much more important when there is no where to go! I posted a youtube video two years ago showing the cut made from a fully extended bucket.

I'm not, Al.
Read it again.
This is a different animal.
You plunge cut the middle out of the tree first, THEN you cut your face, thus avoiding getting your saw pinched when cutting your hinge thin enough to avoid a barberchair.

For use on hollow or core rotten heavy leaners of species that barberchair easily.

I'm really interested in hearing from others, who have used this cut.

It would be kinda cool if I invented it:)

Jerry, what do you have to say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, they are called stuff like Euraka bearpull, Habegger HIT or Greifzug ( The last one is COMPLETELY identical to my Tirfor!)

I've even seen one made in an Eastern European country, but I can't remember the name.

Commie winch, probably!

Thanks for the clarification, Stig. I don't know that I have seen one over here without the Tirfor name, but interesting to read you say that there is a local copy.

Back