Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Good stuff, Grapple...thanks for sharing.

Here is a big block (for me) that we used at Katrina. My brother in law (holding it for the picture) borrowed it from an oil rig company. We needed to run wire rope thru it to lift a tree off a house..no cranes available. Some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8314 (2).JPG   IMG_8231 (2).JPG   IMG_8338resized.jpg   IMG_8325 (2).JPG  

IMG_8335 (2).JPG   IMG_8341 (2).JPG   Perry-belay-tree.jpg   Pery block on belay tree.JPG  

Gary

more...will try again...I tried to post some picts but the forum said it was a "duplicate" of a post...and 5 minutes something...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree-off-house.jpg   Perry tree.jpg  
    Gary

The tractor lifted the tree and the winch moved it off the house enough that the tractor could lower it...or vice versa. Anyway, it worked.

The pucker factor was pretty high.
    Gary

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I bet! An oldie but goodie!!!

Kyle

Yeah...posted before..sharing with our newbs to the House.

I just snagged this info off Paul's thread about his Grove crane:

This was a sandbag post by our (missing...and missed) Jay:

From my perspective on the cribbage as well, pieces stacked next to each other or minimal gap. Sandbags are really good to fill in some gaps on uneven ground, or for reinforcement up against a bank kind of thing. Used frequently by ops that I know. Thick aluminum plates make for a very good base.

When you can get a crane into a desirable location, I find that a job where you have a lot of trees to remove in tight quarters like a woods, where simply falling them would require pulling and likely some hangups, is where having a crane can really shine. Three or four guys plus the op, forty trees or so down in a day and the logs all moved to a clear location, you'll be moving a lot of wood with a great system going. Everyone knows their job and it's like butter. Looks awesome, Paul!
    and some picts of his early cribbing with the crane....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grove crib 1.jpg   Grove crib 2.jpg   Grove crib 3.jpg  
    Gary

Yeah using a sandbag to level a hole before cribbing is one thing, I thought someone said using sandbags to level on a slope, which is a completely different thing. The bottom pic scares me, I almost watched a crane tip from sinking into blacktop. Blacktop is the same as dirt ime.
    Kyle

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Hell yea.

I guess I meant using sandbags to level stuff out in conjunction with the outrigger pads/blocks.

Completely understand now, woops lol. The box crib techniques are needed to level on a slope, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Also handy for doing all sorts of work, tree related or not.
    Kyle

Thanks for posting those pics Gary I hadn't seem them before. Nice bit of rigging!