Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

We were definitely NOT loggers. Making that part up as we went along. If it was a game-changer mixup then we got lucky. We did a 2 week stint doing some pretty interesting jobs. Nobody got hurt until headed home. Stopped for gas about half way back and one of the guys opened the hatch on his Blazer. A big slab of pine he was taking back fell out and broke his foot (just seemed mashed at first...x-ray next day showed a crack). Foot broken while getting gas...it's the safe stuff that gets you sometimes.

If you are interested in reading about and seeing some fine photography of the tail end of those manly times, you couldn't do much better than getting yourself a copy of Gerry Beranek's High Climbers and Timber Fallers book.

Are you still selling books direct, Ger? @gf beranek
Yes Sir I have both editions.

Crazy pics!

I had the same boots as Mrs B there, Hi Tec, good boots for years.

Where can a fellow see diagrams of the whole setup and how it worked?

Here's a free ebook that goes in depth on rigging them.

If you wanna go back even further in time here's this one :D

Logging, Ralph Clement Bryant.

Here's a free ebook that goes in depth on rigging them.

Kyle!
You were understating when you said it goes into depth. This is about as deep as it gets!

Rigging doesn't change much, that's the beauty of it, and stuff from other trades/ industries usually translates very well. I read all sorts of stuff about rigging from the most seemingly random assortment of trades; ironwork, logging, sailboats, cranes, aerial cableways, old school cargo ships, etc. A lot of it is from 100 years ago, but is still as relevant today as it was then, and if you pick up a few things here and there it makes you more well rounded and able to adapt better by thinking outside the box and looking at the privileges differently than you did before.

Back