Traditional pollarding

Well yes I know that .What I didn't know was it must be winter in that picture .
It isn't like I'm used to seeing palm trees then a knobby bald tree .:lol:

Gawd those things are butt ugly .

Yes Al it was towards the end of winter in Victoria Australia, approaching Melbourne somewhere.

Funny thing is Plane trees grow just fine in sub tropical climates! We have quite a few big ones in Bermuda...
In Australia it seems to be the thing to try and grow any kind of palm tree in even the colder temperate climates I guess just to give an illusion of tropicality and warmth...
I detest the look of Canary Date palms in temperate climates, it looks stupid! Mind you I don't like them even in the tropics...

Ha, that's neat!

The fuss is people don't get it by just looking at the dormant 'cat's heads' with no leaves, think it looks nasty.
I think they look like lollipops when they flush out, insted of the nice scaffold of a regularly pruned tree.
But, when its done from the get go because of limitations due to power lines or other obstructions, at least its functional, beats the hell out of topping!

I've noticed when I see 1 pollarded tree, I rarely am happy with what I see. But for some reason when I see them in rows, it is much more amazing to me.

There is a walkway near fisherman's wharf in San Francisco that has a few dozen sycamore or plane trees and I love the look of it. And in an urban environment, it makes perfect sense to me. They'll never have to worry about one of those trees coming crashing down and ruining buildings or killing people.

Here's the one local here I have mentioned in the past. Pretty cool. I like those big ol knuckles. Fruitless Mulberry.

Attachments

• IMG_20120406_092928.jpg
    IMG_20120406_092928.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
There are two houses there and I know at least one of the family works for Asplundh and parks his work truck there. The second house has a day care at it. My kids don't go to that day care :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
VERY nice pollard, Stephen.

Back