Wood Turning

Had some interesting wood in the band saw today.
4500 year old bog Oak.
Some 20 years ago They dug up a log in a local bog.
I milled 20231103_175832.jpg it into boards for the finder and kept half the boards as payment.
Gave 2 blocks to a friend, who makes knifes.
He came by with them today and asked me to run them through the saw.
I've asked him to make a chef's knife as a x-mas present for my male apprentice, he will be using some of the oak and some Elm burl.

I know it is 4500 years old, because a piece was carbon 14 dated at Moesgaard museum.

That's very cool, Stig.

Btw, since you are a stickler for language, it's 'knives' not 'knifes' :rockhard:

Had some interesting wood in the band saw today.
4500 year old bog Oak.

I know it is 4500 years old, because a piece was carbon 14 dated at Moesgaard museum.

There's probably a significant plus or minus accuracy (years) to that estimate, but cool nonetheless. Our archeologists do stuff (bones
etc.) quite a bit older than that and there is a bit of uncertainty involved.

Yes, hand wrist and back but that’s my fault. Turning the inside of a bowl I’m overly cautious of a catch so I turn slow, which is not a good idea, and I stress about getting hit by the gouge. In time I might built some confidence, maybe not. I have an unfinished project on the lathe now I haven’t touched in eight months. Kinda hard to teach myself anything at the pace.

The possible violent reaction of the wood or tool is why I chickened to try the wood turning, even if I know that I would love it. One buddy practiced as a hobbyist. He lost two front teeth when a piece jumped out of the lathe and smacked him in the face. The face shield is handy against the small bits, but it didn't help much with this big chunk.

@Marc-Antoine I was worried about this one. Trued it up to 2ft.

Dished out a cutter, seems to hog out nice and deep and still leaves a decent surface.
On a metal lathe style like this one, you have so much more control on the tool's bite. On the wood lathe style, the tool's position is highly variable and susceptible to engage easily in a catastrophic manner. I think.
Your big oval piece scares me. I would have trimmed it closely to the circle firstly with an other tool, either chainsaw or bandsaw for example. See? I'm not ready to try this activity , yet.

@Marc-Antoine Get a lathe. If it is belt driven, you can keep the belt loose so if you catch, you'll stall the work piece. If it's a DC motor, you can re-adjust the torque and make it weaker, same with an AC drive. Made sure you spend time properly sharpening the tools. Have longer handles. Do this, and soon enough you will get pissed off and want full power. Mounting the piece properly is easy enough with a little time. Epoxy and CA glue helps hold wood together. Take your time. Go slow.

Back