Wood Turning

I let them warp. Look at this bad boy:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374899930.866541.jpg

It was perfectly cylindrical and flat on the rim when I turned it. After a couple months drying, this is what I got

love
nick

You don't find many woods that will dry and the bark stays adhered to the wood. Persimmon is one. I made this vase to have at an exhibition of furniture, always like to put something out at a giveaway price for someone that is paying attention. Nobody seemed to appreciate it enough to fork over a few bucks. We use it at the facility for unsold items, our residence. Something quick to make, but a few minutes. I might have given it away for free if anyone said the magic words, "Can I have it?" :lol: Simple, I kind of like it myself. It has an insert that holds water.

Attachments

• kaki vase copy.jpg
    kaki vase copy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45
Can i have it?

No im kidding. Ive given some wood to a few wood turners. I have a couple bowls around here made from stuff that they gifted me. It gets my attention, maybe some day i can set one up. One customer has a lathe to do 20" bowls. His whole basement is dedicated to it. Pretty neat

I've really not done much wood turning although I have a nice little wood lathe .It was soon rather apparent to me you have to watch what you are doing because that thing can toss a chisel in a heart beat .If you don't have a spindle chucked up good and tight it can come out on you like a Louisville slugger too .Not good .

On the other hand I've got a lot of hours on a metal lathe.

For that matter, so can a drill press. When I was a sophomore in high school, I was drilling out some lead for ballast in a model sailboat. It fetched up on the bit and went across the room at Mach 2. E lead hit my instuctor in the shoulder and the vice it was in stuck into the wall 30' away.
Take home lesson: Dont let a noobie drill out lead.

Wow, I sure managed to wake this thread up again!:D

I lend Fiona some DVDs and when she returned them, she kindly sent an old piece of Bermuda cedar along.
The most aromatic wood, I've ever worked. Even old growth Western Redcedar is no match for it. My shop smells strongly of cedar now, and so will all my work clothes. Fi suggested that I put the shaving in a bag and put them in with my clothes.
The log had an old overgrown scrape where there was some false sapwood, worked fine for some contrast.
It was quite soft, I had to use cellulose sanding sealer in order to get a good surface on it.
That was a lot of fun to play with,now this pepper grinder will travel back to Bermuda.

P1030035.JPG P1030037.JPG P1030044.JPG P1030071.JPG

Very pretty. Stig, have you turned Yew? Magical wood, an uncanny shine to it.

Sure have.
Hard to find any big size in Denmark, but they have some huge ones in Britain.
I got lucky once, when a former apprentice called me and said he'd felled a large one, full of birdeye grain:)

yew1.JPG yew2.JPG

That is amazing!!!!! Jealous!!

I have a euc bowl I made yesterday. On the face you could see the limb junction perfectly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375027791.148397.jpg

Here it is like 3 minutes later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375027816.246234.jpg

You can still see the branch union. But 20 minutes later it looked like this and I could barely make sense of it any more.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375028064.900403.jpg

love
nick

There is an art to reading a chunk of wood in regard as to how you get the best result from it on the lathe.
Including a branch center as close to the edge of the bowl as you are doing, will almost certainly cause a split when it dries out.

When I turned the yew bowl ( which resides with Burnham now, BTW) I was very careful about making the wall of the bowl as close to the heatwood/sapwood line as I could.
That is what gives the big colour difference in the bowl, because in burls or birdeye wood, those two are mixed together.

That yew is a beautiful bowl, and I appreciate your eye for, and understanding of the beauty locked within a piece of wood.
Many of my distinctive bowls are due to serendipity, but a few are due to my understanding of the way trees grow.
I haven't made a pepper grinder yet... will have to try that...

Be-yoot-i-ful!

Thanks Stig! It's going to find its way to Tasmania and remind us of home!
I do like pepper so it will find daily use in our house.

You're a star 8)

What does a lathe like that cost?

Mine is a Jet 1220 (can handle a piece 12 inches wide or up to 20 inches long) and I got it used in great condition on CL for $300.

Chisels were $75 for a set, low/mid range quality, the chuck was like $150 ish, then I just kept buying more and more stuff. I love it though.

love
nick

Chisels were $75 for a set, low/mid range quality, .

love
nick
Just as little thought on that my lathe came with a nice set of tooling that someone make by grinding down heavy files .It also has a set of regular chisels but they aren't as nice the homemade ones .

Al, I'm sure you know this, so I'm just saying it in case someone else gets the idea of using old files for scrapers etc.
Make sure you re-temper them first, or they will be too brittle.
First good catch you get, they'll scatter and turn into scrapnel.

Put them in the oven at full heat ( as close to 300 celcius as possible) for a couple of hours, that'll do the trick.

Jay, You've shown several things over the years made of japanese chestnut, and the grain still blows my mind.
Our Hippocastaneum is a boring wood, nothing like that.
Is yours a Castaneum species, because that would explain it.

Back