Wood Turning

That is what a wood stove is for.

i've thought that bowl turning could be a not so strenuous activity that one could do in their old age to generate income. Better to start when still fairly young though.

...i've thought that bowl turning could be a not so strenuous activity that one could do in their old age to generate income...

For the price I've seen some basic (but nice) bowls go for, I think one elderly man could at least add a nice supplement to his reliable social security retirement payment.

love
nick

Yep, I was amazed at the prices fine wooden bowls were sold for in galleries in California.

Not so here, unfortunately. I used to get about $80 for a 15" dia salad bowl. But that was when I made so many I had to let them go wholesale.

Wow I am envious of all of the talent! I can't work wood to save my life aside from running a chainsaw.

Nothing hard about it, Rajan, give me ten years and I can turn you into a fine woodworker. :lol:

Actually, it just takes practice and doing a lot of it. I am of the opinion that just about anyone can be good at it if they want. When it comes to turning, as with all types of woodworking, there certainly are varying degrees of skill level. I believe turning is basically a fairly quick to learn activity, however. Practice and your body learns! You could be making bowls in a couple of days, certainly not the most refined turning compared to what can be accomplished with a lot of experience, but useful things for your own home that would be appreciated. Nice gifts as well. I believe that there are some good books out on learning turning. The first time you stick a gouge into a spinning block of wood, you start to learn. It's fun, the first time roughing a square piece into a round one feels cool.

Wow, Nick...great stuff. Lemon, orange, sycamore and pomegranate are my favorites...lemon probably #1.

Thanks for showing.

Nothing hard about it, Rajan, give me ten years and I can turn you into a fine woodworker. :lol:

Actually, it just takes practice and doing a lot of it. I am of the opinion that just about anyone can be good at it if they want. When it comes to turning, as with all types of woodworking, there certainly are varying degrees of skill level. I believe turning is basically a fairly quick to learn activity, however. Practice and your body learns! You could be making bowls in a couple of days, certainly not the most refined turning compared to what can be accomplished with a lot of experience, but useful things for your own home that would be appreciated. Nice gifts as well. I believe that there are some good books out on learning turning. The first time you stick a gouge into a spinning block of wood, you start to learn. It's fun, the first time roughing a square piece into a round one feels cool.
Practice you say. If I build a shop one day where I can have room for the tools, maybe!

You don't need that much space. My whole setup is on a rolling workbench 3' high and about 40"x14". It tucks behind my truck in the garage when not in use, rolls out to the driveway when in use.

I bought a fancy bench that cost almost as much as the $300 lathe I got on Craigslist.

I gotta hurry and finish this day. I got 4 bowls at home (sycamore, Italian cypress, Eugenia and oak) that need another coat of tung oil. They are almost done!!

love
nick

Yeah, I was going to say that space isn't a big thing for turning. Not the ideal, but a lathe outside with a tarp thrown over it would work. I guess a bandsaw would be preferable to have as well to supplement turning.

I'm going to be adapting my 9" South Bend to wood turning. I have to make some new tool handles. I've smashed most of my chisel handles to bits.

Yeah, I was going to say that space isn't a big thing for turning. Not the ideal, but a lathe outside with a tarp thrown over it would work. I guess a bandsaw would be preferable to have as well to supplement turning.

Yeah- I wish I did have a bandsaw...but I don't and they are expensive. I know I won't be getting one for a long time. But I DO have a few chainsaws!!!! They do good enough!!!

I was thinking of just covering the bed with an old sheet or something. Turning wood, I won't need to move the carriage around much, unless I want to reposition the tool rest.

You're going to have to wind that Southbend up to get enough speed to turn wood .If you blow the chips off the ways I doubt you'd hurt it .Probabley a good idea to cover up the feed screw though .

Started turning a eucalyptus bowl (corymbia citriadora) this afternoon. Thought it was real neat to see the connection point of the two limbs. Had to stop and take a picture!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374895762.053031.jpg

Here it is a couple minutes later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374895789.986009.jpg

The bowl is done now- but it was too dark to get a good shot. Will do later. Looks totally different now!

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick,

you turning green wood really thin to dry or are you turning dry wood? Around here, if you turn it green it will warp and check. From looks of things, you arent having that problem.

Look like some nice bowls for sure!

I really like that orange. Got any extra laying around?

Back