Wood Turning

2 years ago I was given a large beech burl by a forwarder driver.
I was going to make a bowl for him out of it, but ended up giving all the stuff I cut out of the middle with my centersaver and the off cuts to members of the Danish woodturning forum.
Here is what came out of that:

The burl in it's raw form:. hedetoft bøgeknude.JPG

The bowl I made from it: bøgeknudestig2.JPG bøgeknude stig1.JPG

One guy made a bottlestopper from an offcut:

bøgeknudevinprop.JPG

A Scottish Knifemaker living here made a hunting knife from another:

bøgeknude stuart1.JPG bøgeknude stuart2.JPG

And a Danish pipemaker living in Thailand had a piece shipped out and made a pipe from it:
bøgeknudecarsten1.jpg bøgeknudecarsten2.jpg

It was fun getting so many people to collaborate on working a single burl:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if one saw my woodlot, theyd wonder why i was asking for wood, but here goes again:

Im on the hunt for Norfolk Island Pine.

when turned thin and specially prepared, it will have light shine through. My wife saw some lampshades that a friend of mine did and now she wants me to do some.

As I stated in an earlier post, a 12x12x5 fits in a large flat rate usps box. If someone has any laying around, would you consider cutting me a piece? If its spalted, all the better!

I was going to send somebody on the west coast ,California maybe a chunk of shagbark hickory .As it turned out the size needed exeeded the size and weight limit for a flat rate box .It was intended for a big bowl of some sort like a hundred pounds of it in a round .Cost prohibative as it turned out .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turned these bottle stoppers in the last few days. Right to left: Ambrosia maple, black walnut, apple, 2 more black walnut, elm burl, apple.

Attachments

• 100_0957.JPG
    100_0957.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 70
When I was saving up to go to California in 2005, I designed a piggybank in elm burl for bills.

I roughturned a extra one, so I'd have one to screw up, but since the first one turned out fine, the reserve stayed in the drying loft till my neighbours daughter found it last week, and thought it was really cool.

So I finished it for her this weekend.

It is designed like a fish trap with the same vortex shape on the inside, so once you put the rolled up bills in there, they can't find their way out again.:lol:

P1030055.JPG P1030056.JPG P1030059.JPG

No, elm burl is really hard to thread, so I put it in with 3 glue points. That way it can be busted out with a rod and reglued back in place for further savings.

Cool. I'll have to see if I can get my folks to make me one from the butternut I just took down.

Beautiful bowls. It is amazing the beauty locked up in wood, and the great variety. Here is a bowl turned from Maple, the bark holds on better than you might think, but still tricky to do without ruining the piece or having it split. I use a Beech bowl that cracked, to hold small objects in my work vehicle.

That's real cool, Stig. You might also consider attaching the opening with some melted wax, I think it will hold until removal is desired.

Awhile back I made a Walnut ashtray and Black Acacia cigar for a little not so serious at an exhibition showing some furniture. I wondered what people might say? The answer basically was nothing, it didn't much register. Sometimes you can't buy a laugh. :roll: Anyway, I needed an ashtray for the shop.

Attachments

• ashtray04 copy.JPG
    ashtray04 copy.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 76
Thanks. I had some handmade broken matches in the ashtray too. They looked so authentic that one day I was cleaning my shop and came across them in a little container I kept them in so they wouldn't get lost, and thought to myself, now why would I have kept these, and threw them in the fire. Some time later I remembered why. Dumb A :|: I asked one guy at the exhibition how he liked the ashtray set up? "I dunno, people here don't normally smoke cigars", was his reply. :dontknow: ::hammer:

Sometime you just can't win.

I'm working on a project with some really special wood that I got from one of the members here.
I still need to sand and oil it a couple more times with hardening time in between, then I'll show pictures.

But my whole shop smells very strongly of cedar right now:lol:

Spindle turning is a useful lathe skill as well. Not my favorite style of work, that period from which this kind of design came in the states, but someone wanted one some year's back. Finding yourself in a design so that it becomes your own to some extent, and enjoyable making it is one of the challenges. I ebonized some of the bands on the column for a twist. Strictly doing reproductions, though there is a lot of excellent work that has come down the pike worthy of copying, I'd get bored with it now, A good way to learn though, and making an exact replica does keep your skills acute. Good Honduras Mahogany is such a fine wood to work with, I don't know if you can even get it anymore. Such an even consistency material, stable and excellent hardness that holds crisp details. I hear Cuban was even better, but aside from a small piece, I have never seen it. Still using this ancient lathe, though it has been hot rodded a bit.

Attachments

• post turning copy.jpg
    post turning copy.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 68
  • early001.jpg
    early001.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 68
Nice, Jay. Those are some fine beads.

Some of the wood I was lucky enough to come upon last summer was Honduras mahogany. 40 Lovely clear boards of 2 feet by 10 feet. But unfortunately only 16 mm thick, so it's usefulness is limited. I've sold a bunch of it to a guy who is restoring an old boat, that was originally made clad in Honduras mahogany. He was an apprentice shipbuilder and it was to be his test piece for his apprenticeship. I sold it way too cheap, because he didn't have the money to pay for it, but he promised to take me sailing, when the boat is finished as payment:)

I have a small ( 1 footx½foot½3inches) chunk of Cuban in my secret stash.
I used to do a lot of small stuff for restorers of antique furniture, having the right wood for replica knobs, finials etc. was worth a lot, so I have been scavenging for a long time.

I've always liked the zen like feeling one get's from doing lots of spindlework that is the same.

Like making 90 balusters for a staircase.

By the time you hit # 90, you hardly have to measure any more.

I got a lathe on Craigslist a few months ago. I'm addicted. I do it every few days.

Here's a few Ive made lately

Black acacia
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528352.023582.jpg

Lemon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528387.678172.jpg

Coast live oak deadwood candle holders
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528413.095986.jpg

California sycamore
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528465.379263.jpg

Orange
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528492.598605.jpg

Pomegranate
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528541.807196.jpg

Paper leaf mulberry
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528587.247723.jpg

Karina works late a lot. Used to bother me. Not so much since I got the lathe!

love
nick

love
nick

Back